In the Garden

Well it did get very warm after a cold, rainy, gloomy bit @Docb. So you can forgive it for getting confused!

I’ve been putting together a sort of greenhouse/shed combo which is almost done now. I’ll be building in some shelves at the back for all the shed junk, and hopefully the windows at the front will be good for propagating and seedlings.

1694801925728.jpeg

Well, the world really is going to pot.....my James Grieve apple tree has decided it is the right time to produce flowers.

View attachment 27537
Really . Im sure i spotted a Rhododendron flowering in Wales did not have my phone or a camera buf thought cant be . Wrong time of year or maybe as its been cold then hot its confused more than me. Maybe two flowerings but apple tree. ? lol no .

Well it did get very warm after a cold, rainy, gloomy bit @Docb. So you can forgive it for getting confused!

I’ve been putting together a sort of greenhouse/shed combo which is almost done now. I’ll be building in some shelves at the back for all the shed junk, and hopefully the windows at the front will be good for propagating and seedlings.

View attachment 27538
looks great

We have a very confused garden.
Our Sorbus, whilst still shedding the final leaves, has now come out in bud.
The clematis, which was waiting for the cut back for the winter, is now in flower again.
Anyone finding their garden is confused.

We have a very confused garden.
Our Sorbus, whilst still shedding the final leaves, has now come out in bud.
The clematis, which was waiting for the cut back for the winter, is now in flower again.
Anyone finding their garden is confused.
Yes, oh definitely mixed up seasons. I have just had Delphiniums flower. Likewise a Clematis and Daphne are in bud as are other plants . I feel scared though the hard frost may kill them. I think they are so delicate after flowering with no gradual fall. Perhaps though who knows.

Just dashed out and brought in a Begonia small leaf and a summat or other grown from a big seed, an Avocado maybe. It's perishing out there brr. Only thing is the cats think the windowsills are theirs. 🙄

Just dashed out and brought in a Begonia small leaf and a summat or other grown from a big seed, an Avocado maybe. It's perishing out there brr. Only thing is the cats think the windowsills are theirs. 🙄
Yes and not all cats have delicate feet that dont knock anything over. It is late October I think its bound to get colder Brrrrr

'They' say that the trees have more berries if there's going to be a bad Winter and I saw a Holly tree so festooned in berries that I couldn't see the leaves. Gorgeous. I'll be filching a few branches for my lounge come next month. 🙂

'They' say that the trees have more berries if there's going to be a bad Winter and I saw a Holly tree so festooned in berries that I couldn't see the leaves. Gorgeous. I'll be filching a few branches for my lounge come next month. 🙂

That's old saying @Ditto

Nana & my mother use to say it but they would say it was a sign of a very cold winter ahead.

We’ve snowdrops too and aconites. This time last week it was -8!
We’ve ( Mr Eggy) already started propagating indoors for our new greenhouse. Aubergines, chillis, peppers and tomatoes. The tomatoes have started germinating, it’s all very exciting.

We’ve snowdrops too and aconites. This time last week it was -8!
We’ve ( Mr Eggy) already started propagating indoors for our new greenhouse. Aubergines, chillis, peppers and tomatoes. The tomatoes have started germinating, it’s all very exciting.
Lovely yes I saw snowdrops and aconites in the gardens at Saffron Walden . Mine are not through yet.
I take it the greenhouse is heated?

Lovely yes I saw snowdrops and aconites in the gardens at Saffron Walden . Mine are not through yet.
I take it the greenhouse is heated?
Not yet. We’ve got them on a south facing windowsill in the house and the propagator is heated. Hubby installing electricity and plumbing very soon.

Not yet. We’ve got them on a south facing windowsill in the house and the propagator is heated. Hubby installing electricity and plumbing very soon.
I would have thought too soon but only
have a polytunnel. Last year the tomatoes outside did better than in the tunnel so I'm trying to learn.

I would have thought too soon but only
have a polytunnel. Last year the tomatoes outside did better than in the tunnel so I'm trying to learn.
This is our first year having a greenhouse so we’re just learning too. We normally buy tomato plants and plant outside, we don’t get many go red unfortunately. Hoping for red tomatoes this year.

This is our first year having a greenhouse so we’re just learning too. We normally buy tomato plants and plant outside, we don’t get many go red unfortunately. Hoping for red tomatoes this year.
i do well but in the south . mum used to start in January in Scotland but they hot too leggy here so I do mine later. Just not used to polytunnel.

Nothing in Mum's garden, just shoots, but even so it gladdens the heart. 🙂

Back