In the Garden

Picked our first carrots and turnip at the weekend. Ate them before I remembered to take a photo! The courgettes are painfully slow this year, I’m usually buried under them hunting for courgette recipes by now. Very odd. But we have potatoes for ever more. Mr Eggy has built a storage box with four sections as we’re growing three types. First earlies, Arran Pilots and Charlottes, and King Edwards, they’re not ready yet. Beans have flowered but no beans yet. Lettuce doing well. Beetroot really need harvested before they get too big. Onions and garlic ready on the whole, we’re using them but haven’t harvested them all yet, waiting to see if they’ll get bigger. Tomatoes are doing well, plenty of fruit on the vines. Redcurrants picked and jelly made. All in all quite happy. Although we had a rare visitor ( for us) on Sunday. We checked, he hadn’t been in the raised beds.

Attachments

• IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3455.jpeg
    IMG_3455.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 9
Picked our first carrots and turnip at the weekend. Ate them before I remembered to take a photo! The courgettes are painfully slow this year, I’m usually buried under them hunting for courgette recipes by now. Very odd. But we have potatoes for ever more. Mr Eggy has built a storage box with four sections as we’re growing three types. First earlies, Arran Pilots and Charlottes, and King Edwards, they’re not ready yet. Beans have flowered but no beans yet. Lettuce doing well. Beetroot really need harvested before they get too big. Onions and garlic ready on the whole, we’re using them but haven’t harvested them all yet, waiting to see if they’ll get bigger. Tomatoes are doing well, plenty of fruit on the vines. Redcurrants picked and jelly made. All in all quite happy. Although we had a rare visitor ( for us) on Sunday. We checked, he hadn’t been in the raised beds.
I have dug all my Charlottes to save them from the same fate as the carrots, pickings of mangetout and a few peas, our courgettes also slower than usual (what a relief), a few cucumbers and we picked 5kg jostaberries (cross between gooseberry and blackcurrant). I have made some jostaberry, redcurrant and chilli jam with some of them then rest in the freezer to have with breakfast yoghurt. The blueberries are starting to ripen and still redcurrants to pick.
Beans still not doing much but there again neither were the ones we say at Hyde Hall RHS gardens last week.

I have dug all my Charlottes to save them from the same fate as the carrots, pickings of mangetout and a few peas, our courgettes also slower than usual (what a relief), a few cucumbers and we picked 5kg jostaberries (cross between gooseberry and blackcurrant). I have made some jostaberry, redcurrant and chilli jam with some of them then rest in the freezer to have with breakfast yoghurt. The blueberries are starting to ripen and still redcurrants to pick.
Beans still not doing much but there again neither were the ones we say at Hyde Hall RHS gardens last week.
Do you think it was the hot spell we all had in June which is slowing the courgettes and beans down? Normally we’re eating beans by now and had more courgette based dishes than you can shake a stick at!

Do you think it was the hot spell we all had in June which is slowing the courgettes and beans down? Normally we’re eating beans by now and had more courgette based dishes than you can shake a stick at!
we are slow too Just got courgettes first today.... I'm blaming the cold spell to be honest as the spring was very long . Let hope we get a long season to ripen the tomatoes . Also rain please although the watering is exercise lol/One thing stays the same for me though. Foods tastes better from the garden.

I think it was the very erratic weather, cold, wet, then dry then hot, then cold then dry, certainly where I am.
The ground could be rock hard on the surface but wet underneath.

We haven’t had beans or courgettes yet. I was very late getting them in, because it was so dry here, and they hung around in pots on the patio where I could water them for weeks, then when we planted them, they seemed to take ages to get going.
We've had Autumn fruiting raspberries at the same time as our Spring fruiting! The Autumn fruiting didn’t fruit last autumn, because of the drought, so they’re performing now (only as we are away, Daughter is getting the benefit!).

We've had a few dwarf beans, there are now lots on the plants but I'm staying with Mum for a few days so R will leave picking until I get back. Runner beans are just starting, they don't need to be picked yet. Blueberries are going blue but only picked a few as they're not really quite ripe - last year at this time we had ripe blueberries coming out of our ears.

When I spoke to R this morning he said he was building an ark. This evening he asked if I still wanted him to water the tomatoes, as it had rained solidly all day!

Does anybody know what this is please? I'm thinking a shrub because another little one has grown up alongside it now, off the roots. It's rampant and I don't remember putting it in. The branches are just so long! This pic is the other year, think it was drying out.

#119a) UNKNOWN Rampant Shrub or Tree Situ B9 Acquired Back in day img230120.jpg

Now the branches are even longer and it's next to what I think is a Forsythia, too close.
IMG_20230729_192357.jpg
The big one and the offshoot, as if I need another! Branches at least 3 foot long.
IMG_20230729_192330.jpg

Does anybody know what this is please? I'm thinking a shrub because another little one has grown up alongside it now, off the roots. It's rampant and I don't remember putting it in. The branches are just so long! This pic is the other year, think it was drying out.

View attachment 26997

Now the branches are even longer and it's next to what I think is a Forsythia, too close.
View attachment 26998
The big one and the offshoot, as if I need another! Branches at least 3 foot long.
View attachment 26999
You’ve got me stumped there, unless it’s a winter flowering honeysuckle, has it ever had flowers on in winter? (or any other time.) This is my winter flowering honeysuckle, for comparison, I can't quite tell if the leaves are the same on yours, but mine does send out 3ft shoots, and starts new plants that come up a few inches away from the main plant. (I took out the main and left one of the offshoots a couple of years ago)
IMG_1463.jpeg

Now that's interesting. I wonder. I've never given it a chance to flower, the poor thing gets regularly hacked. I will leave it for a bit. 🙂 I record all my plants though and I now don't have a Honeysuckle, not as far as I know! I have had some lovely Honeysuckles in the past so thought I would recognise one. Thank you. 🙂

Now that's interesting. I wonder. I've never given it a chance to flower, the poor thing gets regularly hacked. I will leave it for a bit. 🙂 I record all my plants though and I now don't have a Honeysuckle, not as far as I know! I have had some lovely Honeysuckles in the past so thought I would recognise one. Thank you. 🙂
Ours has flowers on it round about December to Febraury , but only on the branches that I haven’t pruned that year. It's a useful thing to have, if it is one, it attracts the early bees at the start of Spring,

Ours has flowers on it round about December to Febraury , but only on the branches that I haven’t pruned that year. It's a useful thing to have, if it is one, it attracts the early bees at the start of Spring,
My winter flowering honeysuckle has plentiful small fairly dark leaves and creates a mass of yellow flowers. I'm not recognising that from your photos. But I believe there are many variants of winter flowering honeysuckle.

My winter flowering honeysuckle has plentiful small fairly dark leaves and creates a mass of yellow flowers. I'm not recognising that from your photos. But I believe there are many variants of winter flowering honeysuckle.
Ours is this one. It loses most of its leaves in winter (though in mild winters, not as many as in the photo below) and then has nearly white flowers on the almost bare stems.
IMG_1544.png

I'm going to pull the baby up and stick it against the wall in the front garden and just let it grow because I'm thinking now that it is a climber. It does make sense with the length of the branches. The other can stay where it is, that's the rule now in the garden, I have no strength left! 🙂 I'll just keep chopping but I wish I hadn't put it next to the Forsythia because that's almost as bad, might try and move that, might be a bit easier.

The sun is lovely this evening, shining golden on the leaves. Will be a nice Autumn. Says the weather will be dry the next few days, till a wet weekend so I'll try and get out with the mower. I luvs my Flymo, it's the only one that ever managed to do the grass in this garden since the housing association stopped the gardeners the rotten cheapskates. I got it from the charity shop for £40 worth every penny.

This shrub cheers me up.
Yes, me too. Spring! So
much to look forward to. I've killed a fair few Forsythia over the years but the one I've got now is gamely hanging on. 🙂

Yes, me too. Spring! So
much to look forward to. I've killed a fair few Forsythia over the years but the one I've got now is gamely hanging on. 🙂
Yes after the daffodils they tell me the garden has promise . love it mixed in with quinz you know the lovely red bush too.

Back