HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

I need to start excersing I use to do loads but as you get older it gets harder I tend to go for walks though and keep busy by moving keeping on my feet

I need to start excersing I use to do loads but as you get older it gets harder I tend to go for walks though and keep busy by moving keeping on my feet
Wait till you get to my age! Exercise becomes harder if you don't exercise regularly - well for me that is - but once I regain my strength again following my op then I intend to do what I can.
Nice to see you back here again sunny sanghera take care now
WL

Last edited:
Wait till you get to my age! Exercise becomes harder if you don't exercise regularly - well for me that is - but once I regain my strength again following my op then I intend to do what I can.
Nice to see you back here again sunny sang herald, take care now
WL
Yes am dreading getting any older and excercise almost acts as a cure with this condition but when that option goes it becomes more harder long as you can walk tho that's enough to keep things steady and ticking over thanks it's nice to be back

Yes am dreading getting any older and excercise almost acts as a cure with this condition but when that option goes it becomes more harder long as you can walk tho that's enough to keep things steady and ticking over thanks it's nice to be back
I walk regularly Sunny...well...more like dragging a very reluctant Bull dog around the local park...but...it does add up...use my steps counter...surprised to discover I cover as much as 2-3 miles a day...not as impressive as Northerners half marathon...although feels like I've completed one when I get home...no idea how he does it...running is not for me...far too many moving parts nowadays...for those who can...walking is often under rated...as you say...great for lowering our BG's...certainly giving me better control with my diabetes.

I walk regularly Sunny...well...more like dragging a very reluctant Bull dog around the local park...but...it does add up...use my steps counter...surprised to discover I cover as much as 2-3 miles a day...not as impressive as Northerners half marathon...although feels like I've completed one when I get home...no idea how he does it...running is not for me...far too many moving parts nowadays...for those who can...walking is often under rated...as you say...great for lowering our BG's...certainly giving me better control with my diabetes.
That gives me an idea if I had a dog I would have an excuse to walk more lol if I walk to much though my levels drop so I just do enough but not to much if I run my levels would drop even quicker

I swim twice week doing a minimum of 25 length so that is 1000 yards - the only other exercise i get is pushing my wheelchair

I swim twice week doing a minimum of 25 length so that is 1000 yards - the only other exercise i get is pushing my wheelchair
I used to swim every day before work...loved it coffeesnob...miss it...did a minimum of 25 lengths...maximum of 64 which in our pool was a mile and a bit...of course that was when I was younger...clearly fitter...didn't mind my hair getting messed up...would dare to wear a figure fitting swimming cossie...and didn't have fudging diabetes😱😱😱.

How many miles should I walk today? What is do-able? I shall try for four but I'll be glad if I manage two!

I'm walking between 3 & 5k a day at the minute a lot of that on the hills so the going up bits can be a bit painfull at times as still getting over an achillies problem., Just waiting for the sea to become warmer then will be swimming twice a day and also just putting new tyres on the bicycle so have another option.

I don't understand Ks, what's that in miles? :D

Two miles is a great effort Ditto. Do what you can manage not what you think you're expected to do 🙂
I agree Amigo - but Ditto was walking 2miles a day (correct me if I'm wrong Ditto) when she visited her brother when he was ill - so you know you can do it Ditto - it's just a case of motivating yourself - good luck 🙂 x

When Sunny said "I need to start excersing I use to do loads but as you get older it gets harder..." I assumed that he must be about 78 rather than 31. Come on Sunny, compared to an old git like me you're almost a child. I was diagnosed at 54 and was pretty out of shape at the time. I'm now 58 and will be attempting my first ironman in July. If that doesn't convince you, here is a link to the Wiki entry for the Iron Nun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Buder

When Sunny said "I need to start excersing I use to do loads but as you get older it gets harder..." I assumed that he must be about 78 rather than 31. Come on Sunny, compared to an old git like me you're almost a child. I was diagnosed at 54 and was pretty out of shape at the time. I'm now 58 and will be attempting my first ironman in July. If that doesn't convince you, here is a link to the Wiki entry for the Iron Nun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_Buder
Yes longer you have the condition though harder it gets I have had it 13 years and in that time mostly low levels although am slowly fixing that now over time the low levels can drain your body energy so harder to do lots of excersise plus I don't have any hypo awareness so am hesitant to do much but sometimes I do excersise a lot

How many miles should I walk today? What is do-able? I shall try for four but I'll be glad if I manage two!
I have no idea whether there's any truth in this, but one recommendation is 10,000 steps, which for me is about 4.5 miles. That includes all steps though, even around the house. My husband's phone has an app that has set him a target of 6,000 steps at a "healthy pace" which equates to roughly 3 miles of brisk walking. Anything is better than nothing, and what you do in between exercising is just as important, e.g. Moving around rather than remaining motionless for long periods.

I have no idea whether there's any truth in this, but one recommendation is 10,000 steps, which for me is about 4.5 miles. That includes all steps though, even around the house. My husband's phone has an app that has set him a target of 6,000 steps at a "healthy pace" which equates to roughly 3 miles of brisk walking. Anything is better than nothing, and what you do in between exercising is just as important, e.g. Moving around rather than remaining motionless for long periods.
I tend to walk a lot around the house especially after I have eaten to keep my levels steady and during the day I play football in the garage well I do keep ups which I enjoy doing that helps with keeping cholesterol steady and levels at same time

I agree Amigo - but Ditto was walking 2miles a day (correct me if I'm wrong Ditto) when she visited her brother when he was ill - so you know you can do it Ditto - it's just a case of motivating yourself - good luck 🙂 x

Yes I know wirralass. I was applauding her 2 mile effort because in Ditto's earlier post she said she thought she should manage 4 miles but wasn't sure she could. Two miles is a great effort 🙂

I did 2 miles or more today plus helped my brother with mowing his grass. Now I've got a raging headache, probably high blood pressure and my BG went up but then came down again so that's okay...I hope. 🙂 That's me for the day!

Back