HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

Love your sense of humour Mark! Don't tell us your other half didn't like the curtains once they were hung & you had to take them down! Take care

Last edited:
Not as much as I should. But I have been ill this week. My aim once I am well is 30 mins per day, walking and exercise dvd's. When the weather gets slightly warmer I want to try running again by doing a couch 2 5k program.

I've bought the tracker from Aldi. Did over 90 steps just putting up a pair of curtains!🙂
My fitbit is like that, did loads of steps making pastry one day.

My exercise is walking. Lots at work and with the dogs. It's the safest thing for me although I even manage to sustain injuries doing that somehow. But it fits in with my life and I enjoy it so it's the best thing for me. I've tried other things but the motivation never lasts and that is Do important.

I've bought the tracker from Aldi. Did over 90 steps just putting up a pair of curtains!🙂

How many do you do for a basket of ironing? I could help with the contents, in the name of scientific research,......... obviously?

I really need to get a Fitbit type thing. But not as expensive! Every day at work I do between 8-12 hours, and I think I sit down for an average of 10 minutes in a day. My doctor told me that it shouldn't be considered exercise, but not only I am on my poor feet that entire time, but my job involves a lot of heavy lifting, so it's quite a work out!
I also swim 3-4 times a week, yoga on a Friday, spinning on a Saturday and pole fitness once a week. I need to practice my pole more than once a week, but I never have the time unfortunately!

Well, I've been paraplegic since I was 20, so exercise to burn calories is difficult without the large muscle groups in the legs. I've got two really old programmes, one is aerobic called wheelchair workout, and the other is anaerobic called stretch & strengthen using a giant elastic band. They are both from the mid-70's. I generally swim once a week, and I do seated Tai Chi most days for 3-4 years. I led a seated Tai Chi group in the local sheltered housing building until a few months ago, which was a strong motivation in my continuing the practise. Not counting the swimming, it's about an hour and a half in the course of the day. But given the rest of the day I'm sitting around applying little bits of silk thread to finely woven cloth, it isn't really a lot. 🙂

I think I'm doing well if I walk 2 miles a day. Will try and up this when the warmer weather comes. Somebody told me we should be walking at least 5 miles a day. An online friend gave me a Garmin, it's great knowing how far you've walked. 🙂

Well, I've been paraplegic since I was 20, so exercise to burn calories is difficult without the large muscle groups in the legs. I've got two really old programmes, one is aerobic called wheelchair workout, and the other is anaerobic called stretch & strengthen using a giant elastic band. They are both from the mid-70's. I generally swim once a week, and I do seated Tai Chi most days for 3-4 years. I led a seated Tai Chi group in the local sheltered housing building until a few months ago, which was a strong motivation in my continuing the practise. Not counting the swimming, it's about an hour and a half in the course of the day. But given the rest of the day I'm sitting around applying little bits of silk thread to finely woven cloth, it isn't really a lot. 🙂

At the meeting, we did discuss those less able to do much, if any exercise, and the speaker did just say that thins like the FABS concept was very good. Standing up is just the biggest bang for a modest buck, but absolutely anything helps.

FABS: http://www.moveitorloseit.co.uk/about-us/

I walk to and from work at speed which about 7k a day. I'd run if I was allowed but can't because of wonky joints so I do a sort of hybrid run/walk, I believe it's quite the sight :D. Aside from that I do Pilates twice a week, dance classes 2-3 times (but I'm not allowed to do all of it, wonky joints again) and I'm known for my printer dashes. At work I sit down a lot which irks me so I've started a trend for printer jogging, the printer is outside the office so when I'm waiting for it to calibrate, file its nails and generally come to life I jog on the spot. It's surprising what a few minute burst of cardio can achieve, gets the blood flowing 😉

I am trying to loose weight and once i have done that i will start to exercise, i have a friend who is a personal trainer and this was his advice.

At the meeting, we did discuss those less able to do much, if any exercise, and the speaker did just say that thins like the FABS concept was very good. Standing up is just the biggest bang for a modest buck, but absolutely anything helps.

FABS: http://www.moveitorloseit.co.uk/about-us/

Thanks @AndBreathe
There is one of those classes here, too. But it is in the same time slot that I was leading the Tai Chi group. So that reminds me... I may revisit that one once the weather breaks. Ours is run by the council. 🙂

I go for walks few times a week and even walk round the house fast as I can and run on the spot sometimes on wooden floor in living room which helps

I didn't fancy going out in inclement weather today so I pedalled away for just 20mins on my exercise bike this morning & ditto this evening.

T2 since April 2016
Diet only

My exercise regime is pathetic compared to all of you athletic peeps out there running & walking for miles. But you have inspired me, - & so I've made a promise to myself to go for brisk walks (however short) as often as my knees hips & back will allow. That's just for starter's for now - but in the meantime I'll continue to exercise on me old exercise bike to my hearts content and jog on the spot when I'm washing dishes or anything else that keeps me occupied at the said sink, works better if one needs a pee! (I must be the only person living who doesn't own a dishwasher!) Daily stretching exercises, hanging out the washing as & when weather permits (again - no tumble dryer! Living in the ice age methinks is not much fun but it can't be helped!!) general housework, washing & polishing my car instead of driving to the CarWash, gardening & wearing out the supermarkets floors & car parks tarmacadam etc etc etc., all contribute to preventing me from becoming a couch potato & high bgls. Tomorrow is Sunday tho, its supposed to be a day of rest but I need to keep my blood circulation flowing & BGLs lower........
Today I have been up & down step ladders dusting & cleaning picture rails in prep to decorate + exercise bike 2x20mins sessions with 30secs bursts. Take care all

Wirralass
Type2 since April 2016

Well I managed to get out and do 3 hour half sessions of gardening today, I found it uplifting.
@grovesy. Good for you G. I couldn't do that here even if I wanted to, the weather in this neck of the woods is just awful, relentless gales & rain. Most of my shed roof has blown off & the lawn such as it is, is like a mire! Ah well, roll on Spring and.....tulips daffodils bluebells crocus + more to lift one's spirits. Take care

I do a lot of exercise since being diagnosed. I was originally thought to be type 1 but have been re-diagnosed as probably type 2. My insulin doses gradually reduced down to zero over a period of about nine months. I was then put on Lynagliptin for a while before eventually dispensing with medication altogether. I believe that my exercise level has contributed much to my success in getting off the injections and pills.

You can find my posts on the subject of exercise on the sporty forum:
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/tiny-steps.63909/
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/in-praise-of-triathlon.60851/
https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/how-unusual-am-i.60250/
I have previously been moaned at for referring to other posts without providing links so I'm trying to make amends.

I'm still pedalling away on my exercise bike 2-3 times a day but seriously - Ive made a promise to myself to walk more often & further than I currently do - and also to resume swimming ,x
WL

Back