HOW MUCH EXERCISE DO YOU DO?

Does walking a marathon count as exercise?!

I did the Grantham Sprint Triathlon today. Anyone who has been following my wibblings elsewhere on these forums will be aware that I have been suffering from a virus that has been causing me one or two problems while exercising. The problem has been gradually improving and, as a result, I have recently been able to exercise a little more normally than before. Today's event was the first time that I have been able to go out without having to take it a little easy in case I have problems. My best time for this distance is 1:16, this was achieved at Goole, a couple of years ago, on a fairly flat course. Today the cycle course was quite hilly, I stopped to help Liz as the chain had come off her bike. The run course was flat but I had to stop to take a piece of grit out of my shoe. I still managed a time of 1:27. I am totally over the moon with this result, despite not having been able to train properly since the start of the year I feel as though I'm back on course. The fact that the guy who won my age group did it in 58 minutes hasn't dampened my spirits in the slightest. I'm sixty in September so I will be moving up into a new age group, not that that will help.

I did the Grantham Sprint Triathlon today. Anyone who has been following my wibblings elsewhere on these forums will be aware that I have been suffering from a virus that has been causing me one or two problems while exercising. The problem has been gradually improving and, as a result, I have recently been able to exercise a little more normally than before. Today's event was the first time that I have been able to go out without having to take it a little easy in case I have problems. My best time for this distance is 1:16, this was achieved at Goole, a couple of years ago, on a fairly flat course. Today the cycle course was quite hilly, I stopped to help Liz as the chain had come off her bike. The run course was flat but I had to stop to take a piece of grit out of my shoe. I still managed a time of 1:27. I am totally over the moon with this result, despite not having been able to train properly since the start of the year I feel as though I'm back on course. The fact that the guy who won my age group did it in 58 minutes hasn't dampened my spirits in the slightest. I'm sixty in September so I will be moving up into a new age group, not that that will help.
Well done. You deserve to be very proud of yourself.

A good day for me today 2 mile bike ride 109 mins at gym and took dogs for a nice 6 mile walk round knott hill reservoir and hartshead pike went on treadmill at gym and did 3.5 km in 1 min stints

Great result, and great to hear that you are well on the track to full recovery Chris! 🙂

Walked about a mile to doctors and back stroll round Tesco on way home 2 weeks ago I would have been asleep after feeling fitter and stronger everyday. On my own at the minute kids at school and missus at work so I’m not supposed to go far.

We had rain in the morning, but it cleared around lunch time.
Toronto at the moment is 19 degree, which isn't too bad.
I did 30 min slow jogging (about 3.6km) then 2 km brisk walking.
Not much, but I'm feeling good. 🙂

upload_2018-5-15_17-52-45.png

upload_2018-5-15_17-53-26.png

The sun is very strong and it's very windy today. I did 5.4 km slow jogging then 1.8 km walking. Things are getting easier. 🙂

The sun is very strong and it's very windy today. I did 5.4 km slow jogging then 1.8 km walking. Things are getting easier. 🙂
How long you been running kayc, used to be able run long distance,but finding it hard to run 60 seconds now

How long you been running kayc, used to be able run long distance,but finding it hard to run 60 seconds now
Used to be able to run 10 km (with struggle 🙄:D ) but that was about 5 years ago. Since I moved to Toronto last year, I've been quite lazy so I'm building up my strength again. Hope one day I can complete the half marathon !! 😱😱😱

Honestly you couldn't make it up...watching the news on childhood obesity & what measures schools are doing to tackle it...one school has introduced a mile run into their curriculum...the reporter on that item was just announced...her name...Debbie Tubby😱😱😱...unfortunate or what?

Honestly you couldn't make it up...watching the news on childhood obesity & what measures schools are doing to tackle it...one school has introduced a mile run into their curriculum...the reporter on that item was just announced...her name...Debbie Tubby😱😱😱...unfortunate or what?

If Debbie is called Debs, she's doubly unfortunate, because it means 'fat and ugly' in Japanese ! 😱😱:D Sorry if anybody called Debs is reading this thread, but it's TRUE🙄🙄

Just done 5.4 km slow jogging and 1.8 km walking. It started raining while walking, but it was light and warm one so I didn't mind. I found a lot of robins on my running path, they are American robins, which are taller than English ones. I prefer dumpy little English robins.🙂

Did 1 hour muscle training, which includes squat and lange........ I still don't know which exercise is effective for my purpose so don't have a fixed menu yet. I want a personal trainer to consult.

I'm a fairly active person, by nature, and I have a few golden rules I follow, like parking at the far end of the supermarket carpark (fewer paint dings is an added bonus), walking all the isles, when when I don't need anything in them, and aside from overnight, I use the loo upstairs, if I'm downstairs (and vice versa). So I'm active but also what I call sedentary active.

On Wednesday our local DUK group meeting had a speaker from the NIHR, talking about exercise, relating it to both diabetes and general health. He was excellent, and made his talk interactive. I don't mean we were doing star jumps or running on the spot, but making contributions and comment along the way.

Aside from "the more you can move around and exercise the better" generalisations, he shared a couple of absolute humdingers. The shocker for me was that studies have shown folks significantly overestimate their activity levels, but again, studies show the average person is sedentary 80% of the day. A day being a 24 hour cycle.

The second, and most amazing thing was they ran a small study (most likely a feasibilty to something bigger) into the impacts of just standing up. This is the act of standing, not the act of loitering around. Their study had participants into their lab for 2, 8-hour periods. During the first, the participants were fed a couple of set meals, and their body data (pulse etc) monitored by FitBit stylee kit, plus regular bloods (via a canula fitted at the outset).

The process was then repeated (participants, food intake, content, timing and measuring) exactly, except that participants were asked to stand up and stay standing for a 5 minute period, every 30 minutes. The improvement in their blood glucose scores was positively significant. He quoted a figure, but when I interrogated him (as I would,......... ahem), he did admit he'd have to revisit that detail.

So in effect, limiting the duration of our sitting to shorter periods of time is helpful, even if we can't do anything else.

There's about to be a feasibilty study run to look at the impact of exercise (no dietary interventions) on pre-diabetic individuals. Those measurements will be done by FitBit gizmos and participants wearing Libre sensors.

There is some fascinating work being done on diabetes at the moment, and that's only a tiny, tiny granule of it. The NIHR site details all the various studies and trials they are running, and they're always looking for trialists.

Well I have always used running as my go to exercise. But the weather over winter made it impossible to run and a few colds etc also stopped me. I have also suffered from hip pain that got in the way of a regular run...but I'm running again and the hip pain is not there at the moment!!! so this week two runs of 3km done so far and I'm hoping to do a few more this week.

Well I have always used running as my go to exercise. But the weather over winter made it impossible to run and a few colds etc also stopped me. I have also suffered from hip pain that got in the way of a regular run...but I'm running again and the hip pain is not there at the moment!!! so this week two runs of 3km done so far and I'm hoping to do a few more this week.
Well done, i hope the hip pain doesn't return 🙂

Well done Angela. Keep at it. 🙂

Oooo im so bad i take no exercise im a rep spend most of my time in a car i just carnt get started just got a dog well it leaves his mother in a couple of weeks its a shi tzu so at least it will force me out for a walk, embarrassing dog though lol

Back