Food ideas with photos

1106cals, 111.1gm carbs of which 48.5gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

B: Vanilla almond shake (9.2gm carbs)
L: Poultry sushi (47.6gm carbs)
D: Grilled sausages, new potatoes, runner beans, carrots, onion gravy(38.3gm carbs)
E: Aquafit

Last edited:
B Muffin
L cheese and tomato on toast ( Homemade courgette bread)
D Vegan Vegetable lasagne
37.3 carbs 1185 kcals

1195 cals, 89.6gm carbs of which 38.3gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

B: Poached egg, grilled bacon, tomatoes, toast (20.8gm carbs)
L: 1/3 tortilla, tomato (24.8gm carbs)
D: Roast pork, new potatoes, runner beans, carrots, gravy (27.2gm carbs)

Last edited:
Recently, I've been experimenting with some diabetic-friendly recipes that I could share. The big hit at my house is these homemade blueberry muffins. They're just sweet enough and don't cause any sugar spikes. My kids can't get enough of them!

Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup sweetener (I use erythritol), 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted), 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 cup fresh blueberries.

I use this recipe its 7g of carbs and works good too . Makes 6
15g sweetner
140g almond flour
1tsp baking powder
pinch of salt 75g butter
80g milk
3eggs
drop vanilla essence
100g Blueberries
Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan (350°F/320°F fan).
  • Line a muffin tin with 6 muffin cases.
  • In a mixing bowl, mix together the ground almonds, stevia, baking powder and salt.
  • Mix in the melted butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
  • Then fold in the blueberries, divide the mixture between 6 muffin cases
  • can make 12 small cup cakes
  • cook for 2o mins making sure cooked before removing
  • i have a fan oven these cook perfectly

Last edited:
1192cals, 55.4gm carbs of which 42.6gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

B: Vanilla almond shake (9.2gm carbs)
L: Poached egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomato (2.6gm carbs)
D: Chicken casserole, carrots, peas, leeks, cauliflower, broccoli (26.7gm carbs)

I made a sort of crustless quiche last night with eggs, milk, deli turkey slices, grated Red Leicester and a pinch of white pepper. Forgot about it in the oven for a few extra minutes but it was the perfect time. I reckon I'll get 3 meals out of it.

It's a good way to get eggs in the morning, when I don't have time to cook. Is a pretty low carb breakfast on its own and if I need/want some carbs I can have it with a slice of bread. It can also be a nice quick lunch with a side salad. It's so simple but I'm happy I made it 🙂

My other cooking yesterday was a stir fry with tofu, red pepper and sugar snap peas. Not so proud of this one, I went too heavy on the soy sauce and it was way too salty! It looked lovely and colourful tho. I saved half the veg and tofu before adding the sauce, so will have that in other meal...and will be more careful with the condiments 😛

yes crustless quiche is great. i love stir fries too but would like a sweet n sour sauce which is definitely not allowed.

1175cals, 76.8gm carbs of which 34.4gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

B: Strawberry almond shake (9.2gm carbs)
L: Cheese and mushroom omelette, baked tomato (3.2gm carbs)
D: Chicken thigh, carrots, peas, leeks, new potatoes (45.5gm carbs)

1175cals, 76.8gm carbs of which 34.4gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

L: Cheese and mushroom omelette, baked tomato (3.2gm carbs)
D: Chicken thigh, carrots, peas, leeks, new potatoes (45.5gm carbs)
may i ask do you make your own smoothie. ? if so can you share recipe for me to try please.

may i ask do you make your own smoothie. ? if so can you share recipe for me to try please.
No, I use either Exante shakes made up with water, or Tesco Slim Shakes made up with 50/50 water, and unsweetened almond milk

Thanks

Aquafit cancelled again!

1142cals, 60.2gm carbs of which 41.7gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

L: Cheese and mushroom omelette, tomato (3.2gm carbs)
D: Chicken casserole, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, peas, corn (28.8gm carbs)

Cheese and mushroom omelette with baked tomato.jpgChicken casserole with veggies 2.jpg

Last edited:
I made a sort of crustless quiche last night with eggs, milk, deli turkey slices, grated Red Leicester and a pinch of white pepper.
I didn't take a picture of the quiche before, so here's the last portion for breakfast today 🙂

IMG_20230814_071132.jpg

1261cals, 108.5gm carbs of which 27.1gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

B: Boiled egg, soldiers (32.6gm carbs)
L: Prawn and egg salad (17.3gm carbs)
D: Roast beef, mash, cauliflower, peas, corn (39.6gm carbs)

Brother-in-law did delicious Sunday dinner, no idea how many carbs but I just had this and my breakfast earlier and lost weight overnight so I feel that was okay. Gammon, veggies all mashed together (3) mash, roasties, gravy nom nom nom
IMG_20230813_183754.jpg

Today was a disaster.
Breakfast: 3 fried eggs
Bus stop: Half a big bag of peanuts
Snack: Nescafe and a large Nectarine
Lunch: Gammon, fried egg (4 today!), 2 tortillas, 2 Yorkshires, peas and some kind of sweet chilli sauce
Dinner: Punnet of strawberries

edit/ Good grief, Freudian slip or something, forget to add half a Strawberry Gateau! 😱

1069 cals, 95.3gm carbs of which 37.7gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

B: Scrambled egg, toast (16.3gm carbs)
L: HM Yellow soup (16.1gm carbs)
D: Teriyaki chicken thigh, mash, cauliflower, peas, corn (44.0gm carbs)

1069 cals, 95.3gm carbs of which 37.7gm sugars (includes daily extras of Benecol and milk)

B: Scrambled egg, toast (16.3gm carbs)
L: HM Yellow soup (16.1gm carbs)
D: Teriyaki chicken thigh, mash, cauliflower, peas, corn (44.0gm carbs)
Sorry may i ask whats HM yellow soup.
By the way i am loving the menu ideas

Sorry may i ask whats HM yellow soup.
By the way i am loving the menu ideas
I adapted it from a recipe for butterbean and sweetcorn chowder, taking out the potato (too many carbs) and adding semi skimmed milk instead of cream! Skimmed milk curdles it.

1 large white onion, chopped
3 sticks celery chopped
1 yellow pepper chopped
1 green pepper chopped
400gm sweetcorn
400gm tin butterbeans
1/2 pint semi skimmed milk
Pint home made chicken stock or made up stock pot/bouillon powder/stock cube
Tsp dried sage

Mist a large pan with 1-cal and sweat the onion, celery and peppers for 10 minutes.
Add the stock and simmer for about 25 minutes until veggies are tender
Add the rest of the ingredients, including the bean liquor, and simmer for another 5 minutes
You can keep the soup chunky, blend half the veggies for a thicker soup, or blend all of them for a smooth soup. If you want to thin it, add more water/stock
Makes 6-8 portions - I usually have around a 300ml serving
Pictures are smooth and part pureed

Yellow vegetable soup.jpgButterbean and sweetcorn chowder.JPG

1 large white onion, chopped
3 sticks celery chopped
1 yellow pepper chopped
1 green pepper chopped
400gm sweetcorn
400gm tin butterbeans
1/2 pint semi skimmed milk
Pint home made chicken stock or made up stock pot/bouillon powder/stock cube
Tsp dried sage

Mist a large pan with 1-cal and sweat the onion, celery and peppers for 10 minutes.
Add the stock and simmer for about 25 minutes until veggies are tender
Add the rest of the ingredients, including the bean liquor, and simmer for another 5 minutes
You can keep the soup chunky, blend half the veggies for a thicker soup, or blend all of them for a smooth soup. If you want to thin it, add more water/stock
Makes 6-8 portions - I usually have around a 300ml serving
Pictures are smooth and part pureed

View attachment 27184View attachment 27185
Thank you

Back