First ever forum Zoom meetup. Who is interested?

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It doesn't require up front payment, if at all. Not for creating an account (does not require an account to use either), not for attending a meeting. Nor for hosting a meeting, unless it's longer than 40 minutes & got more 3 people attending. Even then, it doesn't try particularly hard to have you use a paid for option. Zoom will even give you longer meetings free on ocation.
Whether you use the extra features, or pay for meetings over 40 minutes is between the people involved, and at all meetings I've been on have been covered by the host/organisers.
There's also ways around the 40 minute limit. Such as having a break every 40 minutes, then just restarting the meeting.

*Do not pay for Zoom*

To join a meeting, following the link provided by the host/organiser. Give zoom a name (or use one you used previously), password if asked. Zoom may show you a previous of yourself. Check how you look. Hit the "join meeting with video" or "join meeting without video" button. (Depending on preference).
Once your in the meeting, hit the "Use device audio" message the bottom left of the screen.
Hit the microphone icon to turn your microphone on and off.
Hit the camer icon on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen (tablets, touch screen to bring this up) to turn your video on and off.

[Edited]
Thanks. I ‘screen shot’ your replies and I’ll go through them slowly later. Would be good to have my first ‘zoom conference’ on Sunday at 3pm - just worried I‘ll forget and miss it. Is there a way to set a reminder?

I have two adult kids - one in US - and one in UK - Zoom looks like a good option for a three way conversation. Unfortunately they both have the same ‘low boredom threshold’ as me - and I can only make it work if I completely understand it and if they have to do nothing apart from just accept the call.

Cheers!

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Trying to get to grips with this forum.
It has names of members but not really bios so hard to see who to connect with. I think I’ll start by ‘following’ everyone I see who has expressed an interest in the Sunday 3pm ‘Zoom’ conference.
Does that sound like a good plan?

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It has names of members but not really bios so hard to see who to connect with. I think I’ll start by ‘following’ everyone I see who has expressed an interest in the Sunday 3pm ‘Zoom’ conference.
I think if you 'follow' loads of people that you might end up not having very much in common with, you may be bombarded with loads of alerts for posts that don’t interest you. If you look at thread topics, in the sub-forums that interest you, such as starting in the General Messageboard, then 'In the news' or 'Food/carb queries', or whatever, you’ll find the same names tend to crop up and you get to know members with similar interests or problems.
If you ‘follow' me, for example, you’ll get posts on Type 1, birdwatching and gardening, which may or may not be your thing.

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have never followed anyone - not sure that it is a particularly useful feature?
You may well be right. It probably depends on the type of forum and how it works. I use twitter a lot - and following/ followers reflects the relative ‘value‘ of an account. Some people just want to see what’s going on - which is good - and others want to campaign to make a difference. I haven’t joined anything like this before so I’m just doing what I’m used to doing on other platforms to see how to get the most out of it.

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think if you 'follow' loads of people that you might end up not having very much in common with, you may be bombarded with loads of alerts for posts that don’t interest you. If you look at thread topics, in the sub-forums that interest you, such as starting in the General Messageboard, then 'In the news' or 'Food/carb queries', or whatever, you’ll find the same names tend to crop up and you get to know members with similar interests or problems.
If you ‘follow' me, for example, you’ll get posts on Type 1, birdwatching and gardening, which may or may not be your thing.
That’s fine. I’m sure there’s a ‘mute’ or ‘no notification’ button if I need it. I tweet relentlessly on twitter and I always advise new followers to put me on ‘mute’ if it gets too much rather than disconnect.

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You may well be right. It probably depends on the type of forum and how it works. I use twitter a lot - and following/ followers reflects the relative ‘value‘ of an account. Some people just want to see what’s going on - which is good - and others want to campaign to make a difference. I haven’t joined anything like this before so I’m just doing what I’m used to doing on other platforms to see how to get the most out of it.
I don't do Twitter - or Facebook. This forum isn't on the same scale as Twitter, where following may be more helpful.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
On both our laptops, when we join a meeting, even by clicking the link we usually have to type in the password notified in the same email. We have to click Join with audio BUT also 'Join with video' - bit of a total waste of time if we don't really! ;)

There's a tutorial thingy, where you can try it by having a meeting with yourself, I'll now disappear and find the different web address, then come back and tell you all.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Here it is

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think I’ll start by ‘following’....
I think if you 'follow' loads of people that you might end up not having very much in common with, you may be bombarded with loads of alerts for posts that don’t interest you.
I've not noticed that following someone actually does anything on this forum. Other than showing on your and theirs profiles.
I don't know of a way of being altered to a particular person posting. I get alerts for threads I've posted in, Likes on my posts, and pm/dm.
On another website I'm on, you have a 'feed' where you see the activity of people you've followed and friended. That's very different to here, and is a cross between a sort of Facebook and a forum. Here is more just a forum. It's more thread related.
You get to reconise people who post. Sadly, there are people who move on & go quiet. :(
It has names of members but not really bios so hard to see who to connect with.
There is an About Me section on peoples profiles. I've no idea how many people fill it in. You can also see a list of peoples posts, along with pictures they've upload (possibly just to the media section, not sure). Also, the media section of the forum shows peoples uploaded by everyone.

I've not really used this forum for 'connecting' with people that way. I did that elsewhere.
Different people use the forum differently. My advice is, inicially at least, read threads & post a little.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
On both our laptops, when we join a meeting, even by clicking the link we usually have to type in the password notified in the same email. We have to click Join with audio BUT also 'Join with video' - bit of a total waste of time if we don't really! ;)
It depends on how the host/organiser has set up the meeting.
I didn't spot a setting for the video preview and 'Join with video' button though. I've only see the preview on a couple regular meetings.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @AnnSebastian

I am planning to circulate an invitation for the Sunday meeting on Monday via direct message. You simply be able to follow that link with a web browser (though you can download the Zoom app and use that free of charge if you wish).

It seems likely that there might be quite a few folks at the meetup, so I am going to try to use the ‘breakout’ rooms so that groups of perhaps 4-5 can chat together. Then we will break every so often to mix everyone up. Video conferences tend to have a law of diminishing returns when trying to have open conversations of more than around 5 people because of the slight time delay (people can‘t help but talk over each other).

I will send you the invite next week.

Do you tweet about diabetes things and connect with #gbdoc?

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, sorry not been on the forum for a few weeks. I would very much like to join if I can on Sunday, so please include me in the invite

Many thanks
Jon
Just to clarify, it’s a week Sunday Jon, not the day after tomorrow :)

I will send an invite around on Monday :)

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @AnnSebastian

I am planning to circulate an invitation for the Sunday meeting on Monday via direct message. You simply be able to follow that link with a web browser (though you can download the Zoom app and use that free of charge if you wish).

It seems likely that there might be quite a few folks at the meetup, so I am going to try to use the ‘breakout’ rooms so that groups of perhaps 4-5 can chat together. Then we will break every so often to mix everyone up. Video conferences tend to have a law of diminishing returns when trying to have open conversations of more than around 5 people because of the slight time delay (people can‘t help but talk over each other).

I will send you the invite next week.

Do you tweet about diabetes things and connect with #gbdoc?
Thanks Mike. Looking forward to a good gathering and pleased that there has been such a positive response. The break out room sounds like a good idea, and mixing these up will give us a chance to meet a few at a time and the possibility of some conversation.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Mike. Looking forward to a good gathering and pleased that there has been such a positive response. The break out room sounds like a good idea, and mixing these up will give us a chance to meet a few at a time and the possibility of some conversation.
Yes I just have to work out how they work!!