First ever forum Zoom meetup. Who is interested?

Course

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ok... it looks like Sunday July 12th at 3.00pm suits a good few people... so put it in your diaries and an invite will be circulated in the week before. It seems likely that we will be limited to around 45 minutes, and we will try to have ’breakout rooms’ to allow side conversations and help prevent too much stutter.

looking forward to it!
Brilliant i’ll Make a note of the date. Thanks

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We're both at a Zoom committee meeting that day, so I can't be there.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Send me the invite and I’ll do my best to make a good impression

brisr949

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is there any reason why this couldn't be every say, sat and sun at a set time and whos there is whos there?..ive never used zoom so not sure how it works but reading the thread and pm messages it doesn't half sound complicated and restricted..a skype group is far easier imo.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Zoom is as easy as using Skype. Particularly as an attendee. Also, as an attendee, you don't actually have to create an account.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That means nothing to the likes of me as I have not used either.
If you have a smart phone, tablet, laptop or PC then it’s simple to join a Zoom meeting. All you do is click on the link in the invite (when it’s sent out) and that basically does everything for you. Just remember to tick the box for joining with sound if it prompts you to do that!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you have a smart phone, tablet, laptop or PC then it’s simple to join a Zoom meeting. All you do is click on the link in the invite (when it’s sent out) and that basically does everything for you. Just remember to tick the box for joining with sound if it prompts you to do that!
Thanks but I still think I will give it a miss.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Our laptops both also ask if you want to join with video as well as audio. One you can see what you look like and what else in your house is showing in the pic, gives you a chance to remove the vase of dead flowers behind your chair! - but not to redecorate or wash the curtains ..... ;)

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Our laptops both also ask if you want to join with video as well as audio. One you can see what you look like and what else in your house is showing in the pic, gives you a chance to remove the vase of dead flowers behind your chair! - but not to redecorate or wash the curtains ..... ;)
That only happens sometimes for me. I don't know why, I didn't notice any setting that might affect this. Though I've been in different sessions, for different groups. And different setttings.
You might get a box for you the type a name into. This will have the name you used the last time.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is there any reason why this couldn't be every say, sat and sun at a set time and whos there is whos there?..ive never used zoom so not sure how it works but reading the thread and pm messages it doesn't half sound complicated and restricted..a skype group is far easier imo.
Hi Adam

I have not used Skype, but I thought (this is from a tech numpty) that it was only on certain computers whereas Zoom is accessible on both IPads, laptops and phones. Mind you I had never heard of either before all this. Learning fast.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have not used Skype, but I thought (this is from a tech numpty) that it was only on certain computers whereas Zoom is accessible on both IPads, laptops and phones. Mind you I had never heard of either before all this. Learning fast.
Skype is officially available Windows, iMac, Linux, iPhone and Android. (Pretty much everything.) I can't talk with much knowledge about iPad or iphones. Personally I've used it on Windows, Linux Mint and Android devices.

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just following up after a couple of recent threads which have expressed an interest in an informal ‘Zoom‘ (video call) meeting.

If you would like to take part, please comment here, and I will DM you with details / arrangements :)
Just following up after a couple of recent threads which have expressed an interest in an informal ‘Zoom‘ (video call) meeting.

If you would like to take part, please comment here, and I will DM you with details / arrangements :)
Hello ‘administrator’.
I’ve only just joined your ‘forum’.
I use twitter (a lot) but so far I haven’t got to grips with the various ‘video conferencing’ options. I downloaded ‘Zoom’ app a while ago, but it seemed to require payment up front.
If you can explain in plain English how to start to use it, ideally payment free until I have a chance to decide if its worth paying for, I’d be happy to participate in your ‘Zoom’ conference initiative.

Regards
Ann

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Since I replied to this post I‘ve read through the replies. I’m not ‘young’. Was diagnosed with T2 diabetes a few years ago. I have 25k ’followers’ on twitter and am totally up for promoting interest groups that serve the ‘greater good’. If you start off with just a few people - and do it regularly - with at least a week between - I’m sure you could get it going. I’ve set up ‘support groups’ in the past - statistics suggest that if you get 1-2% response to an initiative - you’re doing well.
So keep it going?
#JustSaying

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I downloaded ‘Zoom’ app a while ago, but it seemed to require payment up front.
It doesn't require up front payment, if at all. Not for creating an account (does not require an account to use either), not for attending a meeting. Nor for hosting a meeting, unless it's longer than 40 minutes & got more 3 people attending. Even then, it doesn't try particularly hard to have you use a paid for option. Zoom will even give you longer meetings free on ocation.
Whether you use the extra features, or pay for meetings over 40 minutes is between the people involved, and at all meetings I've been on have been covered by the host/organisers.
There's also ways around the 40 minute limit. Such as having a break every 40 minutes, then just restarting the meeting.
until I have a chance to decide if its worth paying for
*Do not pay for Zoom*
If you can explain in plain English how to start to use it, ideally payment free until I have a chance to decide if its worth paying for, I’d be happy to participate in your ‘Zoom’ conference initiative.
To join a meeting, following the link provided by the host/organiser. Give zoom a name (or use one you used previously), password if asked. Zoom may show you a previous of yourself. Check how you look. Hit the "join meeting with video" or "join meeting without video" button. (Depending on preference).
Once your in the meeting, hit the "Use device audio" message the bottom left of the screen.
Hit the microphone icon to turn your microphone on and off.
Hit the camer icon on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen (tablets, touch screen to bring this up) to turn your video on and off.

[Edited]

Last edited: