First ever forum Zoom meetup. Who is interested?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just following up after a couple of recent threads which have expressed an interest in an informal ‘Zoom‘ (video call) meeting.

If you would like to take part, please comment here, and I will DM you with details / arrangements :)

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
*waves*

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Count me out - sorry. I have one zoom meeting I have to do on Saturdays and one is enough for me! I'm never going near zoom again once this is all over, and what passes for 'normal' is back....

silentsquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Count me out - sorry. I have one zoom meeting I have to do on Saturdays and one is enough for me! I'm never going near zoom again once this is all over, and what passes for 'normal' is back....
I'll join you, PM, I haven't done 'Zoom' or anything similar at all, and no intention of starting! We have stuck to normal phone calls with my daughter - as we only see them 2 or 3 times a year in normal times we haven't been suffering the deprivation that families that see each other frequently obviously have.

My first job with a new computer is to tape stuff over the camera to block it!

The only thing that might have tempted me into 'Zoom' etc is online church, but as OH (retired priest) is able to celebrate for the 2 of us on Sundays and major festivals that hasn't been necessary. It will seem weird when 'church' stops being our conservatory!

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
No thank you. I don't know what Zoom is but if it involves talking to people then I can't do that. :D Torture and then some.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have not done Zoom but friend up the road do What's app video calls on phone.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I might possibly be interested, I’ve never been to a real meet-up but have often wondered what they are like. Never heard of Zoom until lockdown, have had to install it though so that daughter could continue with dance classes and music lessons, and it seems to work quite well. For the uninitiated, it’s a video conferencing app, so you just install the app on your iPad or whatever device you have, then the person organising the meet will send you either a meeting number and password, or a link that contains that info already and you just tap on it, and you use that to log in at the agreed time.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Very much doubt my ancient PC will support something like Zoom so count me out for now, but it is starting to look like I need to invest in a computer upgrade as Libre View won't work on my PC or my Android phone and getting a new phone is too much of an upheaval! So if/when I psych and save myself up to a new computer system, I might be interested.
Have fun for those who take part. Must be funny putting faces to names as you sometimes get a mental image of people from chatting online and then they turn out to be totally different and it must be difficult to recognise them and replace that mental picture.

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'll join you, PM, I haven't done 'Zoom' or anything similar at all, and no intention of starting! We have stuck to normal phone calls with my daughter - as we only see them 2 or 3 times a year in normal times we haven't been suffering the deprivation that families that see each other frequently obviously have.

My first job with a new computer is to tape stuff over the camera to block it!

The only thing that might have tempted me into 'Zoom' etc is online church, but as OH (retired priest) is able to celebrate for the 2 of us on Sundays and major festivals that hasn't been necessary. It will seem weird when 'church' stops being our conservatory!
Haha! My Saturday Zoom is a church group meeting about communication while we're still not able to reopen properly, and it's sprouting into 'coffee morning' Zoom after the online Sunday service; Zoom morning prayer on Wed mornings; a Zoom Bible study starting this afternoon... even our local mosque (with whom we have links) is doing a Zoom virtual tour!

I find the dodgy sound, wobbling screens and sometimes blurry faces are doing my head in. Even the phone video calls we have with my little granddaughter get a bit much after about 20 minutes! :eek:

Last edited:

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Very much doubt my ancient PC will support something like Zoom so count me out for now, but it is starting to look like I need to invest in a computer upgrade as Libre View won't work on my PC or my Android phone and getting a new phone is too much of an upheaval! So if/when I psych and save myself up to a new computer system, I might be interested.
Have fun for those who take part. Must be funny putting faces to names as you sometimes get a mental image of people from chatting online and then they turn out to be totally different and it must be difficult to recognise them and replace that mental picture.
My lap top is 10 years old and I am using Zoom on it.
You never know it might work.

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not sure Mike have to a bit of research first, love to meet up with other members even virtually.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@SB2015
Well I bought mine about 10 years ago and it was second hand and pretty dated then and I am still running on windows 7 I think and it is pretty slow. It does not cope well with Skype! I think rather than invest more time trying to upgrade it I probably need to splash some cash!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@SB2015
Well I bought mine about 10 years ago and it was second hand and pretty dated then and I am still running on windows 7 I think and it is pretty slow. It does not cope well with Skype! I think rather than invest more time trying to upgrade it I probably need to splash some cash!
Time to treat yourself. It would be good to ‘meet’ you.