First ever forum Zoom meetup. Who is interested?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ugh

All support amounts to is updates. And that's it.

No. Go to XP. Or Linux. I used to use Linux Knoppix quite a bit, boots from a CD and works well with lower amounts fo memory (256mb) & older machines. Now I'm more likely to use Linux Mint.
So could I purchase a CD with Linux Knoppix, feed it into my PC and then use Zoom? Would that enable me to use Libre View as well or do I need Windows 10 for that?.... I get the feeling I might!

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Would that enable me to use Libre View as well or do I need Windows 10 for that?.... I get the feeling I might!
You can view the website on any old browser (including those available in GNU/Linux), but you're right that Abbott's software (allowing you to read from the Reader and upload it) is only on Windows and macOS (with the alternative being an app on a supported smartphone).

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You can view the website on any old browser (including those available in GNU/Linux), but you're right that Abbott's software (allowing you to read from the Reader and upload it) is only on Windows and macOS (with the alternative being an app on a supported smartphone).
Thanks Bruce. Unfortunately I don't have an appropriate smart phone so looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy new kit.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So could I purchase a CD with Linux Knoppix, feed it into my PC and then use Zoom?
Linux is free, as in no cost (and as in open (speach)). Although sometimes there are copies out there to buy. You can get lots of versions online. I probably shouldn't have mentioned Knoppix here, just Mint, as I've probably confused matters a little.
Mint might be a better option. You can put it onto a memory stick, then run it from there (leaving you're exiting OS on your hard drive). Just put it in and boot. And you can install & uninstall programmes to the memory stick.
Personally, I'm using Zoom on my tablet, as that was the easiest option for me.

Would that enable me to use Libre View as well or do I need Windows 10 for that?
I dont know about that.

brisr949

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Im interested please.

karloc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am always up for a zoom (or many other techs) chat if I can make it :)

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am up for it

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I would urge anyone who hasn't used Zoom before to go onto their website and download it, because there is a tutorial where you can have a meeting with yourself, to test the video and sound on your device. Computer audio is very sensitive, picks up background noise so if there's anyone in the next room speaking or with the TV or radio on, or yesterday the phone rang when we were in such a meeting, so Pete took the phone down the garden with him, and the little light up square round our picture kept lighting up (it does that to show who is speaking when you have it in 'Gallery' view though the pic showed me with my mouth shut!) Another time, the council were mowing the grass verges along the edge of the pavement somewhere in Gloucestershire and you'd have though they were mowing the floor in a participant's house.

My husband and I can't each use our separate laptops in our small bungalow - else both we and everyone else in the meeting gets horrendous feedback - even in north Scotland! :)

All of you - try not to vary your speaking tone overly because if your device's audio isn't sensitive, listeners lose half of what you say. Some people's audio makes them sound like Norman Collier's stage act - search online for him on audio if you're not old enough to remember him! - or ask your dad! (The Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club)

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
because there is a tutorial where you can have a meeting with yourself, to test the video and sound on your device.
I'd missed that, and is a good idea.
Computer audio is very sensitive, picks up background noise so...
Squeky chairs, people drinking etc can be a couple of things that is picked up. I'm using it on my tablet. I don't know how much of a difference using a tablet, phone or computer makes. I've got a headset (headphones with a mic in the cable), which will help with things like feed back.
I've also got an adapter, that allows me to use an ordinary set of head phones & a desktop mic. I can position it to actually point at me.
I like having a hands free kit for making phone calls. I've often had Long ones, or been on hold in a quere for 40 mins. I've been on the phone to DWP for going on 2 hours a few times. So it's useful for future use, not just in the current curcumstamces.
and the little light up square round our picture kept lighting up (it does that to show who is speaking when you have it in 'Gallery' view though the pic showed me with my mouth shut!)
I've seen that too. Sometimes all you see is someone moving in their chair, putting their cup down etc.

There is a setting to turn your mic off, so you can make whatever noice you like without affecting the call. In all the video conferences/socials I've been in (except one, DUK ChangeLab), pratically no one uses that option though.
In the DUK ChangeLad "meet", person in charge actually asked that people turn their mic off when not talking.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is that done by clicking 'Mute' in the bottom menu on a laptop? - haven't tried doing that cos I wondered if I'd stop hearing everyone else? Some meetings (Board ones LOL), I have to take the minutes for, so I've worked out anything I happen to know so far for myself by attending online coffee mornings, all of whom are lovely people but one obviously missing having a good chat .... LOL

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I don't know about on a laptop. On a tablet yes. The Mic pic on the left of the menu.
It turns off your mic. You can still hear what others are saying (as long as their mic is on).
When ever I join a session it is off, and I've to turn it on.
Screenshot_20200609-192615.png

karloc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It should be possible to adjust mic sensitivity (levels, boost etc) in the operating system. Alot does depend on the mic you have and also the sound card drivers you have.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok... it looks like Sunday July 12th at 3.00pm suits a good few people... so put it in your diaries and an invite will be circulated in the week before. It seems likely that we will be limited to around 45 minutes, and we will try to have ’breakout rooms’ to allow side conversations and help prevent too much stutter.

looking forward to it!

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Ok... it looks like Sunday July 12th at 3.00pm suits a good few people... so put it in your diaries and an invite will be circulated in the week before. It seems likely that we will be limited to around 45 minutes, and we will try to have ’breakout rooms’ to allow side conversations and help prevent too much stutter.

looking forward to it!
Good, I'd have had my haircut by then!!!

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good stuff, I will try and have a Zoom practice before then!

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m hoping to make it, it’s in the lap of the gods,(or rather the lap of my riding instructor!) but I’m hoping for a morning lesson that week.
I need to practice my zoom before then, my sister has offered!