Extremely High Bloods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s the NHS info about ketones @IamLawrie

If you use a meter to test for ketones in your blood:

• under 0.6mmol/L is normal
  • 0.6 to 1.5mmol/L is slightly high – test again in 2 hours
  • 1.6 to 3mmol/L means you're at risk of DKA and should speak to your diabetes care team for advice
  • over 3mmol/L is high and means you may have DKA and should call 999 or go to A&E
If you use strips to test for ketones in your pee, over 2+ is high. This means you may have DKA and should call 999 or go to A&E.

Was the 8 units of NR calculated to cover the 2 pieces of toast or is 8 units what you always inject for breakfast? ie Fixed dose?
Hopefully the surplus insulin from the toast you didn't eat will drop your levels a little.
Yes thats what I have been told to inject for a small carb snack ie breakfast - now tho its only at 17.4

It’s hard to say why your blood sugar has been high over the last couple of days. There could be many reasons. However, if you learn how to correct them, you’ll be much better off, and it will be reassuring for you to know you have a tool to help you.

Is there a reason why your GP is involved rather than DSNs? Have you received DSN support previously?

Ah, I see from one of your earlier posts that a doctor suspects you might be Type 2. Has this been confirmed? Having the right diagnosis can help, not just practically but more emotionally as you then know where you are and can understand what’s happening better.

Yeah I know, I have still had no help from my GP its exactly two years since being diagnosed and its still guess work.
The easiest way to bring your numbers down is to decide what your ideal number would be IE 6 if that's your target. and use as most seem to use a correction factor of 1 unit brings you down 3 points.
So if you had a blood sugar of say 12 then you need 2 units to bring your numbers back in range.

You have to get yourself in the mindset of it's your condition so you need to manage it. No GP will help mainly because they haven't got a clue.
So try the simple 1 brings you down by 3 points keep carbs handy and a meter as this might not be the correct ratio for you.
You have to start somewhere though.
Not having a go at you just trying to help you understand.
Not sure if you are aware as well but high blood sugars will make your mood blacker than what it already is.

The easiest way to bring your numbers down is to decide what your ideal number would be IE 6 if that's your target. and use as most seem to use a correction factor of 1 unit brings you down 3 points.
So if you had a blood sugar of say 12 then you need 2 units to bring your numbers back in range.

You have to get yourself in the mindset of it's your condition so you need to manage it. No GP will help mainly because they haven't got a clue.
So try the simple 1 brings you down by 3 points keep carbs handy and a meter as this might not be the correct ratio for you.
You have to start somewhere though.
Not having a go at you just trying to help you understand.
Not sure if you are aware as well but high blood sugars will make your mood blacker than what it already is.
Ok. I’ve had enough! I’ve requested a closure of my account. Am sick and tired of this!

Morning all, I am on the phone as we speak to 111. i woke up after a good nights sleep.

Before food - Bloods 18.5

Pint of water and tablets

8 Units of fast acting insulin (Novorapid) - 2 pieces of toast, only managed to eat one.

Bloods checked after 15 mins - 17.4
Ketones: 0.7

??
So did this include a correction for the high start point? Are you on a background insulin as well? Why did you test after 15 mins it takes two hours to digest the food. Are you waiting 20 mins after injecting to start eating?

Ok. I’ve had enough! I’ve requested a closure of my account. Am sick and tired of this!
Why are you sick and tired of people trying to help you?

@Pumper_Sue - I was thinking of replying before you did but then thought, I really don't know anything about this chap, so looked for where he introduced himself, as a place to start to try and get my head round both 2 slices of bread amount of carbs being 'a snack' and needing 8u of Novorapid cover it.

However - couldn't find anything which elucidated - he just appeared asking a question about D&V this March. Came back to the thread and Whaaat?

So did this include a correction for the high start point? Are you on a background insulin as well? Why did you test after 15 mins it takes two hours to digest the food. Are you waiting 20 mins after injecting to start eating?

I think @IamLawrie is on fixed doses. He mentions to @rebrascora that 8 units would be his usual dose for a small amount of carbs.

Yeah I know, I have still had no help from my GP its exactly two years since being diagnosed and its still guess work.

@Pumper_Sue - I was thinking of replying before you did but then thought, I really don't know anything about this chap, so looked for where he introduced himself, as a place to start to try and get my head round both 2 slices of bread amount of carbs being 'a snack' and needing 8u of Novorapid cover it.

However - couldn't find anything which elucidated - he just appeared asking a question about D&V this March. Came back to the thread and Whaaat?
He had another user name before this one, for the life of me I can not remember what it was though.
Someone else said something to upset him so he changed his user name. The majority of his problems is having very high numbers obviously makes things a lot worse for him.
I'm sure once he starts to get his numbers down the sugar monster will disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ypu are in real danger of DKA. You will then need a trip tp A&E under a blue light

Advice given to type 1 during illness.
BG 11-17 add 2 units to each normal dose
BG 17-22 add 4 units to normal dose
Sip sugar free liquid at more than 100 mL per hour.

To ring 111 or 999 is a very good idea

I'm sure once he starts to get his numbers down he will turn into a nicer person and the sugar monster will disappear.
You could try and be more sympathetic and understanding to him, he says earlier in this very thread that the high bgs are since increasing antidepressant dose as he’s struggling with depression at the moment and recovering from Covid.

@IamLawrie start with the sick day rules someone posted earlier, or getting an appointment with whoever normally helps with your doses. When you’re feeling more up to learning more then you would benefit from learning about correction doses and how to calculate them yourself. Bertie online course can help, or a DSN could help, or @Pumper_Sue has explained the starting point to you. There are books that explain it too.

You could try and be more sympathetic and understanding to him, he says earlier in this very thread that the high bgs are since increasing antidepressant dose as he’s struggling with depression at the moment and recovering from Covid.
Erm he has already stated his normal bloods are 15 but increased since anti D's and covid. (stated in very first post.)

Erm he has already stated his normal bloods are 15 but increased since anti D's and covid. (stated in very first post.)
Yes, but with severe depression and antidepressants tending to make things worse before better, it’s understandable to not be in the right frame of mind to learn new things and get stressed by a lot of information, which I’d guess is what caused the snap reaction earlier.

Hi @IamLawrie. Sorry to see that you have asked for your account to be closed and really do hope that you will reconsider. I am sure that everybody contributing to this thread are trying to help in their own way and sometimes what is said looks like criticism but I am sure it is not meant to be. What I am sure of is that the numbers you have been reporting are too high for comfort and we all are concerned for you.

As a T2 I am going to keep out of the details of managing T1 diabetes especially when the management is complicated by other conditions. What I might suggest is that you pick amongst the ideas put forward, take note of those you think you can work with and simply ignore the rest. I would also suggest that if you can, you set aside any thoughts of being a nuisance to the NHS. You need help and you are entitled to it, so keep badgering your GP or 111 or whatever until between you, you find a way through.

He had another user name before this one, for the life of me I can not remember what it was though.
Someone else said something to upset him so he changed his user name. The majority of his problems is having very high numbers obviously makes things a lot worse for him.
I'm sure once he starts to get his numbers down the sugar monster will disappear.
GreenArmy - I am sorry for my reaction my bloods have been really high and that makes me feel so not my usual self. - Im sorry, also I am sticking around here Im just mentally struggling too.

@IamLawrie start with the sick day rules someone posted earlier, or getting an appointment with whoever normally helps with your doses. When you’re feeling more up to learning more then you would benefit from learning about correction doses and how to calculate them yourself. Bertie online course can help, or a DSN could help, or @Pumper_Sue has explained the starting point to you. There are books that explain it too.
sick day rules? whats this ? i have not seen anyone except a diabetic nurse since being diagnosed 2 years a go.. my new drs surgery are helping but they are over stretched.

Ypu are in real danger of DKA. You will then need a trip tp A&E under a blue light

Advice given to type 1 during illness.
BG 11-17 add 2 units to each normal dose
BG 17-22 add 4 units to normal dose
Sip sugar free liquid at more than 100 mL per hour.

To ring 111 or 999 is a very good idea
What would one do with ones basal in this situation? Increase it, or is that for quick acting insulin only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back