Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mudguards were taken off again and it was out this afternoon for a 100+km ride to Tatton Park and back via Goostrey. Lovely weather - not too hot with plenty of sun, occasional cloud and dry (rain forecast for tomorrow). One or two bg issues on this ride (see below) 🙄.

Strava stats are 66.4 miles completed at an average speed of 15.0mph and elevation gain of 2600 feet.

The Libre finished yesterday so it was back to bg readings. Compared to what's happened over the last 2 weeks this just proves that T1 diabetes sometimes just isn't really fair. I'd had high readings on those previous rides so didn't drop my Tresiba as much and then this happens 🙄. Lots of testing on the ride and it was a good job I did. At the start 7.6 mmol/l, at 11 miles 5.4 mmol/l, at 21 miles 3.3 mmol/l, at 30 miles 6.4 mmol/l, at 38 miles 3.3 mmol/l, at 44 miles 4.6 mmol/l, at 50 miles 5.2 mmol/l, at 56 miles 4.8 mmol/l, at 62 miles 4.2 mmol/l and back home 4.6 mmol/l. I was struggling to eat stuff to just try and stop dropping into hypo territory. I had...wait for it....6 gels, malt loaf, glucogel and 1.5 energy/protein bars.

These rollercoaster levels are a bit of a pain but it doesn't put me off because we're T1, powered by insulin and can do anything if we want to. 🙂

Lake at Tatton Park
20170603_1444241_zpsy8fyiusb.jpg~original

Maize just peeping through the ground in this field at Jodrell Bank
20170603_1541332_zpssawnxyfg.jpg~original

Wheat field almost fully grown also near Jodrell Bank - just needs some sun on it.
20170603_1545441_zpsofrtesg0.jpg~original

The women's Tour of Britain will be travelling up this road on Thursday near Rudyard. Not sure they'll have much time to admire the views. I'm off work that day to see it (oh and to have my retinopathy check as well)
20170603_1736221_zpssvbrye4i.jpg~original

The Garmin (same as Strava this time). The bottom number is the ride time i.e. 4hrs 25mins.
0db672e0-49ec-4d19-ae18-a44e4d868403_zpspnqnnriu.jpg~original

Well done Matt. Love the lake pic.
You did well to keep your levels ok. Quite a juggling act!

Excellent planning @Matt Cycle to arrange a day off for retinopathy check and Women's Tour of Britain on same say 🙂

Well done Matt. Love the lake pic.
You did well to keep your levels ok. Quite a juggling act!

Yes, it was certainly tricky. 🙄 I think it's the unusual cloud formation on the Tatton Park lake photo that makes it interesting. To be honest I didn't even spot that when I took it as I was just concentrating on the lake.

Excellent planning @Matt Cycle to arrange a day off for retinopathy check and Women's Tour of Britain on same say 🙂

It's the retinopathy check I'm really looking forward to. I realised the Women's Tour was on the same day and thought to myself, oh go on then I suppose I can drag myself along to that as well. 😉:D Hopefully get a ride in beforehand.

I'm off work today and tomorrow. Tomorrow is looking like a bit of a washout for the Women's Tour so I may walk up to that rather than ride. Today however was sunny but very breezy! Roads had dried out after the torrential rain of yesterday. With the windy conditions making it difficult I stuck to lower ground with a spin into Cheshire.

Strava stats are 53.7 miles completed at an average speed of 15.6mph and elevation gain of just under 2200 feet.

BG levels caused a few fun and games again - at start 7.0 mmol/l, at 11 miles 4.3 mmol/l, at 22 miles 4.1 mmol/l, at 31 miles 6.7 mmol/l, at 37 miles 6.3 mmol/l, at 43 miles 5.7 mmol/l, at 49 miles 3.4 mmol/l and back home 7.4 mmol/l. On the ride I had 3 gels, energy/protein bar, banana and malt loaf - that's around 150g CHO. Still waiting for the Levemir scrip - the DSN has sent/is sending the request to the surgery. That should hopefully make things slightly easier back on that in the interim with the split injections compared to the Tresiba.

Took a photo from this very same place near Goostrey on 7th May when it was just earth in the field. Not sure what it is. :confused:
20170607_1301321_zpsg7vkb1zp.jpg~original

Wheat field also near Goostrey
20170607_1316481_zpslqlfeoz6.jpg~original

Here's the Garmin. Strava has managed to round down 0.2mph from the average speed shown here on the Garmin - outrageous. 😡:D
288cf9cb-7a44-440b-9a05-2526650228d2_zpsgm8bjyim.jpg~original

Very good numbers considering the miles you are doing Matt. Do you drop down a while after or not, do you have something when you get in ? I normally do & I don't do that many miles. Pls keep posting ! 😎

Very good numbers considering the miles you are doing Matt. Do you drop down a while after or not, do you have something when you get in ? I normally do & I don't do that many miles. Pls keep posting ! 😎

Thanks. Yes, can keep dropping and will often drop through the night as well (can see it if I have the Libre on) - the muscles replacing glycogen but obviously I have the injected basal circulating as well. It will sometimes affect my levels the next day as well. I normally have something when I get in and keep testing or watching the Libre if I have a sensor on.

I find my pump superb for things like that. As long as I have set it right for whatever. Temp basal % & time. Nothings perfect but so adaptable for sport etc. I was once out on my boat in the sea off Norfolk. By myself in a competition & got back in after hours out there & BANG. Big hypo (was flat out on the trampoline) Was on injections at the time & never had a Did Not Finnish on any race I been in. DNF racing term. Keep peddling Matt 🙂

Just a short ride today (marathon distance) as I headed out for a quick ride into the hilly Staffordshire Moorlands and back via Rudyard. Pleasant enough conditions but a bit windy and with rain forecast later I just made it back before it started.

Strava stats are 26.4 miles completed at an average speed of 13.5mph and elevation gain of just over 2100 feet.

Levels as follows: at start 5.3 mmol/l (had a couple of biscuits), at 10 miles 5.7 mmol/l, at 16 miles 4.2 mmol/l, at 22 miles 6.9 mmol/l and back home 12.0 mmol/l (must have overdone the gels 🙄). I had a banana, 2 gels and half a protein/energy bar.

Grindon in the distance on the climb up to Morridge
20170611_1215351_zpsc0ztpu4l.jpg~original

Fishing lake near Rudyard
20170611_1340041_zpspaobavcf.jpg~original

Enjoyed the pix, ages since I went to Tatton. 🙂

Gotta ask you mad people,

My fave ride on my fjr1300 is Snake Pass out of Sheffy as the sun is setting.

How difficult is it on your racing cycles ??

Very tough. I couldn't do it on my mountain bike without walking some bits. I don't have a road racing (or touring) bike with cleared shoes, nor the ability to use them - too scared and not enough practice when I borrowed from friend.

Very tough. I couldn't do it on my mountain bike without walking some bits. I don't have a road racing (or touring) bike with cleared shoes, nor the ability to use them - too scared and not enough practice when I borrowed from friend.

I often see them on the Pass, it really is a hard slog.

It's a dodgy road during the holidays.

Exactly, I wouldn't want to be on that road on a bike in holiday season, nor drive, for that matter. Mostly I drive in Peak District in dark before, during or after races eg Marmot Dark Mountains overnight in Jan or series of 4 x Raid 3 events on Sunday mornings in Oct / Nov / Dec.

I've been over to Sheffield a few times on the bike to see my family - through Bakewell, Baslow and up to Owler Bar. I've not done the Snake Pass but I've done the Cat and Fiddle between Macc and Buxton which is not too bad and Winnats Pass in Castleton the other week which was a reyt b*****d. 😱 There are lots of climbs not on the main roads of 15-20% + gradients in the Peak District which can be something of a test. I recently swapped the cassette on my rear wheel to give me a 'slightly easier' low gear - still hard work on the hills.

It's considered something of a rite of passage with cleats to have a comedy slow motion fall usually at traffic lights in front of lots of onlookers for maximum embarrassment. I was desperate to avoid this when I first got them and managed to do so although I did have a few close calls. Cleated shoes are definitely worth having though especially on a road bike with the extra power you can put in when pulling your leg up on the pedal. You soon get used to wearing them with a bit of practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back