Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this pic in another thread (because of the fudge on the LHS). It was actually taken to show one of my knitting projects. I recently had a frame resprayed and I'm taking no risk of scratching it with my locks.

I can't see the pic. :confused: Not sure if it is my duff computer although I've already tried winding the rubber bands up. :D

I can't see the pic. :confused: Not sure if it is my duff computer although I've already tried winding the rubber bands up. :D
How odd. You might be able to see it in the 'Baking stuff I can't eat' thread.

I have done the Brompton world championship :D. At Blenheim Place. A very good day out. Brompton are good & faster than you would expect 😎. Good for you Mbt
I'd love to go the the BWC at Blenheim. You're obviously a very cool dude. 😎😎😎

How odd. You might be able to see it in the 'Baking stuff I can't eat' thread.

Mmm no, can't see it on that either - it has an icon with the IMG after it
<<as Tommy Cooper used to say - just like that!

I'd love to go the the BWC at Blenheim. You're obviously a very cool dude. 😎😎😎
Hi Mbt, My mate works in his cycle shop till 5.30, then he calls for me, I drive to Blenheim from the NE because he has been at work all day. We got there pitched the tent & peddled to the pub & got there about 10.30,met some nice local who invited us to a party that was about 3mile away & backed onto Richard Branson's est (virgin). We left there 4am & had to sign on for the race at 7.30am so not much sleep but an excellent day out. Go if you get the chance Mbt 😎

What a rubbish weekend weatherwise we've had here. Rain started on Friday, continued through most of Saturday and showers this morning as well. I was resigned to the fact I may not be able to get out for a ride but the rain started to ease off around 2pm and it brightened up a bit and started to dry out. Took the opportunity for a ride and headed out for a quickie (ooh er, Finbarr Saunders is alive and well :D) towards Gawsworth in Cheshire. Timed it well because after getting back it started raining again within the hour and is lashing it down now.

Strava has given it as 34.0 miles completed at an average speed of 15.9 mph and elevation gain of 1600 feet. This now takes me over 2000 miles for the year which was my original target and we're not quite two thirds of the way through the year. Maybe it was a bit of a soft target but I have been out at least once a week so far this year and done a few biggish rides. I'll carry on and now try and aim for 3000 miles and see where I get.

Levels as follows - before start 7.2 mmol/l, at 12 miles 7.9 mmol/l, at 22 miles 8.2 mmol/l, at 28 miles 7.9 mmol/l and on return 7.2 mmol/l. Fairly pleased with those. I just had my energy drink that I'd mixed in the bottle.

Lovely setting for the church at Gawsworth
upload_2017-7-15_21-50-5.png

Interesting story behind this sign near Gawsworth. You can't quite read it from the picture but under the wording it says 'National Cyclists Union' - it seems the signs were erected to warn cyclists of steep descents. it's well over 100 years old. Different times before the car became king.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cyclists'_Union
upload_2017-7-15_21-50-30.png

Here's the Garmin
upload_2017-7-15_21-50-54.png

Last edited:
My niece has been whingeing about the weather too 😉 To be fair, I was going to go for a run yesterday morning, but it was tipping down so I waited another day - fine this morning, wind had dropped, no rain and a bit cloudy so not too hot 🙂

That cyclist sign is class ! Did you get the wind in ya hair on the way doon ?😎

My niece has been whingeing about the weather too 😉 To be fair, I was going to go for a run yesterday morning, but it was tipping down so I waited another day - fine this morning, wind had dropped, no rain and a bit cloudy so not too hot 🙂

Ha, yes I've seen her description of the weather for her ride this morning! :D She was going up Saddleworth into a strong headwind (and presumably rain as well) and decided to turn back. Sometimes there is no point in pushing on if you're not enjoying it. She still managed 18.3 miles at a 16mph average. Seems to have been mixed weather around the country. Annoying thing is Monday-Thursday last week it was glorious but I was at work. Then the weekend and we get this. :(🙄

What happened to the Summer? It's still August but there was an Autumnal look with blackberries in the hedgerows and brown tinged leaves starting to fall. However, it was still very pleasant conditions today being dry and fairly warm and sunny so I headed to Knutsford and the surrounding area and topped up my tan and vitamin D levels.. I also checked out possible viewing areas for the forthcoming Stage 3 of the Tour of Britain on 6th September which starts in Congleton and passes through East Cheshire including lots of the roads I regularly ride on. Even though Team Novo Nordisk sadly won't be there it will still be good to get out and see it with Sir Bradley and Mark Cavendish taking part. I'm contemplating either riding to the finish at Tatton Park in Knutsford or braving the Cat and Fiddle. 😱 They've been around repairing lots of the potholes which is good but it would have been nice if they did it anyway without the ToB.

Strava has it as 66.0 miles completed with an average speed of 15.7 mph and elevation gain of just over 2000 feet.

Plenty of testing with levels as follows: at start 7.6 mmol/l, at 11 miles the usual spike and 10.9 mmol/l, at 18 miles 7.4 mmol/l, at 23 miles 7.2 mmol/l, at 28 miles 7.3 mmol/l, at 35 miles 2.8 mmol/l 😱, at 42 miles 7.8 mmol/l, at 49 miles 7.9 mmol/l, at 55 miles 6.3 mmol/l, at 60 miles 5.8 mmol/l and back home 7.3 mmol/l. Overall reasonably steady apart from the one spike and one low. Had energy bar, gels and energy/protein drink made in a bottle.

Nature's bounty in the hedgerows near Rudyard (sadly not a chocolate covered coconut bar but the blackberries are very nice 🙂)
upload_2017-7-15_21-52-51.png

Rain due? The cows seem to think so near Rudyard or are they just tired?
upload_2017-7-15_21-53-23.png

Here's the Garmin
upload_2017-7-15_21-53-54.png

Last edited:
Good ride Matt and I enjoyed your lyrical prose...nice. 🙂

Your mention of the Tour reminded me of a photo that might entertain you. When the Tour de France came to London a few years ago I decorated my basket with tiny knitted jerseys. Can you spot the jerseys/team colours? The one at the front has little red sequins on it.
upload_2016-8-29_6-30-22.png
If only I applied myself to something useful 🙄

Good ride Matt and I enjoyed your lyrical prose...nice. 🙂

Your mention of the Tour reminded me of a photo that might entertain you. When the Tour de France came to London a few years ago I decorated my basket with tiny knitted jerseys. Can you spot the jerseys/team colours? The one at the front has little red sequins on it.
View attachment 1735
If only I applied myself to something useful 🙄

Ha, excellent - the jerseys are fantastic! I know you showed a pic before of the Brompton but the basket is massive! Do you have any difficulty seeing the road/potholes etc?

Knitted jerseys reminds me when the TdF came to Yorkshire in 2014 and whole communities got involved. A reporter was talking to some senior ladies who were knitting jerseys as bunting. He asked one lady what she thought it would bring to Yorkshire and if she had heard of any of the people taking part and she said - "ooh, there's that Rebecca Adlington, she's from Yorkshire". :D It was a great community spirit though and the fact so many people got involved. This has carried on with the Tour de Yorkshire. 🙂

As much as I'd like to give it a go 🙄, I'd have to err, spend some time practising my mountain biking skills before attempting it. :D The participants have lead weights on them and the frame is filled with lead. Imagine riding that on a normal surface or uphill! 😱
Back in the early '80s there was a bit of a trend for people to run with ankle weights, in theory to help build strength, but in fact they were useless for distance running because they totally altered your gait and made you prone to injury 😱 🙄

Ha, excellent - the jerseys are fantastic! I know you showed a pic before of the Brompton but the basket is massive! Do you have any difficulty seeing the road/potholes etc?

Knitted jerseys reminds me when the TdF came to Yorkshire in 2014 and whole communities got involved. A reporter was talking to some senior ladies who were knitting jerseys as bunting. He asked one lady what she thought it would bring to Yorkshire and if she had heard of any of the people taking part and she said - "ooh, there's that Rebecca Adlington, she's from Yorkshire". :D It was a great community spirit though and the fact so many people got involved. This has carried on with the Tour de Yorkshire. 🙂
You're spot on, the basket is massive. I only use the Brompton for shopping trips. It's ideal because you can give it a half fold and take it into shops. Being able to see the road isn't a problem when you ride really slowly...and I know all the local potholes. I do my daily commute and any longer distances on a proper big bike.

I got the idea for the little jerseys after reading a story about the bunting knitters. The idea tickled me...so I decided to bring a bit of that Yorkshire spirit to London.

ToB starts tomorrow and finishes the following Sunday in that there London. If you live anywhere near the route it's a chance to stand at the side of the road and see some great racing with some of the Olympics medal winners including a knight of the realm and it doesn't cost a penny.

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/

Here's GCN's preview show:

ToB starts tomorrow and finishes the following Sunday in that there London. If you live anywhere near the route it's a chance to stand at the side of the road and see some great racing with some of the Olympics medal winners including a knight of the realm and it doesn't cost a penny.

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/

Here's GCN's preview show:

Thanks Matt. We've already planned our day. A bit of a cycle in the morning (it's lovely in London when the roads are closed to traffic), a pub lunch and then we'll take up our places to watch the race. Just east of Somerset House should be good where the riders have to slow down to make the turn. Fingers crossed for good weather. Which stage will you be watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back