COVID and Flu Boosters

When I asked last year at my surgery they would not be moved from the standard answer of 'if you are eligible you'll be contacted when it's your turn'.
I only managed to get one in february this year after I pushed the doctor for a formal diagnosis of ckd (various blood tests indicate I've had ckd since at least september 2023).
It's left me with a certain lack of faith in the system so I plan to chase it.

I am now "double boosted".
I asked for them to be both in the same arm which they were happy to do although not normal.
My reasons were
- I have a CGM in my right arm and I wanted that impacted as little as possible. Most people seem to suggest jabs in their "sensored" arm has little/ni impact but why risk it if it is not necessary?
- I have limited movement and aching in my left arm so my right arm is the only one that works properly and, if the jabs cause a dead arm (as they have in the past), I would have no arms working properly.
- I have had both jabs in the same arm at the same time for the last 2 years and, apart from a dead arm, had no side effects.

Fingers crossed this year is a straight forward jabby year.

Had mine yesterday, no issues other than felt a bit rough in the evening. I did then start naproxen in the evening, for my arm, which may have helped.

Shingles jab is definitely a one off. And, to the person who says they hate jabs - this one is 1,000% better than having ruddy shingles!
That would be me and I totally agree. A friend of mine had shingles on his hip, bum and thighs. So painful he couldn't sit down and could only lie on one side for short periods of time. I wouldn't wish shingles on anyone. Much as I hate needles, the alternative is generally worse. Drove husband to Boston for covid jab last year. Hadn't booked mine as I usually got invite several weeks after him. Nice (?) staff said we are not to busy. Might as well do yours now too. Fabulous 😱

I am now "double boosted".
I asked for them to be both in the same arm which they were happy to do although not normal.
My reasons were
- I have a CGM in my right arm and I wanted that impacted as little as possible. Most people seem to suggest jabs in their "sensored" arm has little/ni impact but why risk it if it is not necessary?
- I have limited movement and aching in my left arm so my right arm is the only one that works properly and, if the jabs cause a dead arm (as they have in the past), I would have no arms working properly.
- I have had both jabs in the same arm at the same time for the last 2 years and, apart from a dead arm, had no side effects.

Fingers crossed this year is a straight forward jabby year.
I had both my jabs yesterday in my right arm, the one with my sensor in too. I fell last week whilst out walking, initially I thought I was fine but a day later my left shoulder/top of arm was aching and I didn’t have a lot of movement in it, whilst it’s improved somewhat it’s still a bit stiff and “bruisy” feeling. The nurse was ok with it. Today I can feel where the jabs have gone in, again “bruisy” but I managed to do two hours ironing!

I had both my jabs yesterday in my right arm, the one with my sensor in too. I fell last week whilst out walking, initially I thought I was fine but a day later my left shoulder/top of arm was aching and I didn’t have a lot of movement in it, whilst it’s improved somewhat it’s still a bit stiff and “bruisy” feeling. The nurse was ok with it. Today I can feel where the jabs have gone in, again “bruisy” but I managed to do two hours ironing!
I hope your arm/shoulder continues to improve and your jabby arm is not feeling too bruisy tomorrow.
(I think I might have used the two as an excuse to avoid ironing. But there again, I can't remember the last time my iron was used.)

I had a text from my surgery but had already booked at Boots as I am in their recall system. I first went after retirement from the NHS. I had a jab through my employers even though medically I did not need it but when I retired I became ineligible with them as no longer employed by them and ineligible for GP due to being 65 after 31st March. Therefore, I got in the habit of going to Boots.

Not sure if surgery doing Covid jabs so booked online at local pharmacy and had that yesterday.

Hubby not old enough for Covid or flu jabs but paying for flu jab. Cannot find anywhere to pay for Covid so looks like he will have to go without. Couldn't get one last year either.

Hubby not old enough for Covid or flu jabs but paying for flu jab. Cannot find anywhere to pay for Covid so looks like he will have to go without. Couldn't get one last year either.
Boot are advertising that they can provide "private" covid jabs but they are not cheap and not available at all stores.

Boot are advertising that they can provide "private" covid jabs but they are not cheap and not available at all stores.

Another one (from a variety of pharmacies, I think) is https://pharmadoctor.co.uk/patient/service/covid-vaccination

Not cheap, but looks like they'll all be slightly under £100 (way higher than flu but not horrifically expensive). With Novavax about half that (though reports are that that one's harder to find).

We had our covid on Monday. Appointment at surgery were for 14:51 and 14:53. We arrived at 14:45, checked in on the touch screen and went to the waiting area. 14:54 we were leaving the surgery having been done. We hear so much about how bad the GP service is but that is not the same everywhere. Our GP practice is very good and very well organised, even down to keeping appointments timed to the nearest minute.

Could have had the flue done as well but we had prebooked the flu jab at the village pharmacy - we need to do our bit to keep him in business. No point in complaining if he shuts up shop if you do not use him.

Our GP practice is very good and very well organised, even down to keeping appointments timed to the nearest minute.
My GP surgery is likewise very well organised when it comes to autumn vaccination time.
I suspect many of the challenges are from no-shows or late arrivals.
Last year, I had my jabs on a busy Saturday and, again they kept well to time (it was probably delayed by no more than 5 minutes) but I am a habitual early arriver because I am mortified if I keep others waiting. As my appointment time approached, I watched a number of people turn up asking if they can have their jabs now because they missed it last week (and had not bothered phoning) or because they have just decided their appointment for next week is no longer convenient or because they were passing. The schedule is so tight their requests were declined and people behind them were waiting to check in.

So is mine, both for Flu and Covid we have been in and out before booked slots.

Had both jabs on Saturday am. One in each arm.

Registered deaths for England and Wales - for week ending 27th September 2024 - say that flu accounted for 1291 (12.8%) and covid 142 (1.4%)

Shingles jab is definitely a one off. And, to the person who says they hate jabs - this one is 1,000% better than having ruddy shingles!
I had shingles jab on 7th May and was told it is one of two and must book the second for 7th Nov? I wonder if there are different options?

I had shingles jab on 7th May and was told it is one of two and must book the second for 7th Nov? I wonder if there are different options?
There are two different vaccines, Shingrix and Zostvax, one is a single jab, one is a two parter.
IMG_4548.jpeg

I had MMR this year, and last Friday had both flu and covid.
Felt rough all weekend, aching arm, headache, shivery! Send my BG up as well.
It's all returned back to normal this week.

We are both booked for this coming Saturday. Offered last week but as we are in Prague just now.....no way was I risking it.

Back