Ask Diabetes UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill. I meant to say good luck.

Oops I missed Robins reply , post 263 v
They are completely separate. ( though often confused for one another by unsuspecting Newbies)
diabetes.org.uk is the charity, Diabetes UK, and this forum comes under their umbrella.
diabetes.co.uk is a commercial organisation, (paid for mainly by advertising, I think.)

Hello i got into a really weird situation yesterday. I finally decided to go out with my friends for a few drinks, during the night i had 2 and a half drinks. In one of the busier bars my sugar went down to 2.1 and i went to the bar. I asked one of the security guards who was blocking the way to help me, i informed him that im diabetic type 1 with a hypo he told me to drink the cider i had in my hands and wait. I told him its not possible to know how much sugar it has as it does not have a label. He grabbed me by the neck and kicked me outside.

Leaving me outside for the worst hour of my life. My sugar was 2.1 before it happened, all my bellonging were inside (sugar meter, money, phone).

The security guard that assaulted me went back in. And his ''medically trained'' colleague explained me why i do not have a diabetis... and why the device connect to me is not a pump. Well dont get too excited it's not some sort of miracle. I do have diabetes type 1 and had it for over 10 years.

The guards were aware that im diabetic with a hypo.. and that i might get into coma. They refused to call a manager multiple times. Some staff members pretended to be managers. When the real manager came out he gived me a fake email for complains.
I managed to get my stuff back after running up to police car and begging them to help me. THANKS GOD THEY HAD SWEETS! All together i spend around 2-3 hours with low sugar till i managed to get to a takeaway that was open.

My sugar kept jumping all night and this was the craziest thing that ever happened to me. I never though that asking for help could put me in a coma.
What should i do in this situation?
When they hold your money and sugar meter and you having a hypo outside because you get kicked out after asking for help?
I feal that as diabetic i can't go out confortably anywhere.

Please let me know what would you do in this situation! And if that ever happened to you

Last edited:
Hello i got into a really weird situation yesterday. I finally decided to go out with my friends for a few drinks, during the night i had 2 and a half drinks. In one of the busier bars my sugar went down to 2.1 and i went to the bar. I asked one of the security guards who was blocking the way to help me, i informed him that im diabetic type 1 with a hypo he told me to drink the cider i had in my hands and wait. I told him its not possible to know how much sugar it has as it does not have a label. He grabbed me by the neck and kicked me outside.

Leaving me outside for the worst hour of my life. My sugar was 2.1 before it happened, all my bellonging were inside (sugar meter, money, phone).

The security guard that assaulted me went back in. And his ''medically trained'' colleague explained me why i do not have a diabetis... and why the device connect to me is not a pump. Well dont get too excited it's not some sort of miracle. I do have diabetes type 1 and had it for over 10 years.

The guards were aware that im diabetic with a hypo.. and that i might get into coma. They refused to call a manager multiple times. Some staff members pretended to be managers. When the real manager came out he gived me a fake email for complains.
I managed to get my stuff back after running up to police car and begging them to help me. THANKS GOD THEY HAD SWEETS! All together i spend around 2-3 hours with low sugar till i managed to get to a takeaway that was open.

My sugar kept jumping all night and this was the craziest thing that ever happened to me. I never though that asking for help could put me in a coma.
When they hold your money and sugar meter and you having a hypo outside because you get kicked out after asking for help?

Please let me know what would you do in this situation! And if that ever happened to you

Christ , that is one disgusting account.

Thinking on my feet here, did you get the coppers to log the incident ?

I would DEFINITELY pursue that bar for some sort of recompense based upon neglect. So called "security guards" are licensed, a course which I have done, and believe me they are not supposed to act like that.

At the very least I would generate as much negative publicity for them as is humanly possible.

Surely there is some kind of "discrimination " in all of this ??

Im not too fussed about the discrimination part. I just never got so close to a coma and i think this was the WOW moment for me. If the police did not had sweet i do not know what would of happened to me... They did not logged it i was really confused at the end and dont recall a lot after i got my bag and left to sort my sugar. sorted my sugar so i can sleep at around 8-9 it was really dificult :/

Im not too fussed about the discrimination part. I just never got so close to a coma and i think this was the WOW moment for me. If the police did not had sweet i do not know what would of happened to me... They did not logged it i was really confused at the end and dont recall a lot after i got my bag and left to sort my sugar. sorted my sugar so i can sleep at around 8-9 it was really dificult :/

The next D who goes in there may well end up in a coma or worse.

Very bad actions by security guard, but I have to ask why didn't you have any sweets in your pockets, and having tested your blood sugar and discovered a hypo, why take cider to bar, not wallet, to buy a sugary soft drink, or ask a friend to do that, while you stayed with your phone and meter?

I think regardless of what Andrew may have failed to do in a packed nightclub with a hypo, the club staff failed him miserably and dangerously.

I think you should write to the Council Licensing Department expressing your serious concerns about this establishment. That will cause the licensee the necessary amount of aggro he deserves for employing staff like this.

Very bad actions by security guard, but I have to ask why didn't you have any sweets in your pockets, and having tested your blood sugar and discovered a hypo, why take cider to bar, not wallet, to buy a sugary soft drink, or ask a friend to do that, while you stayed with your phone and meter?

I did checked my sugar and my friends offered to help. But i said it will be faster if i just do it myself. I had a cider in my hand because that was the drink i buyed when i came into that building. Not sure why i left my money in my backpack and went to get a soft drink i was confused :/ my sweets where in a bag that was left behind after the security assaulted me because of asking for help. They refused to give it back and they where aware that im having a hypo. Im a bit scared because they asked people for my name but they woudnt give theirs its crazy.

I think regardless of what Andrew may have failed to do in a packed nightclub with a hypo, the club staff failed him miserably and dangerously.

I think you should write to the Council Licensing Department expressing your serious concerns about this establishment. That will cause the licensee the necessary amount of aggro he deserves for employing staff like this.

Thanks a lot i will definetly do that. Im putting in a report tomorrow in a police. I cant contact the bar as it gived me fake email. Will be contacting the council as well.

Thanks a lot i will definetly do that. Im putting in a report tomorrow in a police. I cant contact the bar as it gived me fake email.
Write a letter to postal address and send Recorded Delivery to be sure.

One thing we need to remember is that we sometimes/often don't think straight when hypo. Only last week I felt odd, tested was 2. something, set timer to test in 15 , tested was lower set timer for 15 , when it beeped I thought perhaps I should eat something. 😱 .
@Andrew477 what happened to you was dreadful, thankfully you're here to tell the tale. Rightly or wrongly I don't expect security to know how to treat a hypo . imo what they should know is , not everyone who appears drunk is drunk and who to call on, I assume their should be first aiders on duty.
Yes it would be a good idea in future to keep some fast acting carbs in a pocket when out.
I also agree you should put in an official complaint in writing to the management at least. Please let us know how you get on.

Agree. I am also going to write to newspapers and going for bad publicity, if you have witnesses and police to corroborate your position it could be a good move to make the venue solve the problem,

Although this may be a little unfair on Andrew, let us not overlook the responsibility to set a precedent here.

Ds who attend large gigs or stuff like that often contact venues prior to the event so that they can take various things inside.

It can work with some thought, maybe some contact with the venue by DUK, and or those who train "security guards" or venue owners associations ??

Andrew why not post this on a separate thread...I'd be happy to advise...suggest a way that might bring you some resolution...as would other members no doubt...the seriousness of this matter may not be apparent in the current thread...you can post in the general section...it would hopefully get the full attention it needs.

Andrew why not post this on a separate thread...I'd be happy to advise...suggest a way that might bring you some resolution...as would other members no doubt...the seriousness of this matter may not be apparent in the current thread...you can post in the general section...it would hopefully get the full attention it needs.

Brilliant advice Andrew.

Thank you i will post it in general now i didnt thinked about it before

It can work with some thought, maybe some contact with the venue by DUK, and or those who train "security guards" or venue owners associations ??
I was concened because these security guards aren't trained correctly: they can't tell if a customer is a problemati customer or has a genuine problem. I could guess that these people will react in the same way if a customer breaks a bone or have a stroke, because they are putting the problems outside the venue...

@Hannah DUK good morning to Hannah and good morning to everyone else.

Ive been trying to understand why there is such a huge difference in advice given by DNs, GPs, emergency call handlers, and other medical practitioners regarding living with D.

Also, I'm quite frustrated by the endless answer "I have my template to work to" and it seems that if you don't fit into that template things become a little difficult.

Is there anyone in a relevant position who will take on board my views ?

Thanks.

Also, I'm quite frustrated by the endless answer "I have my template to work to" and it seems that if you don't fit into that template things become a little difficult.
By the way isn't in your best work interests to follow a template or a we call it a Flow Chart.
Because if you follow a flow chart your work could be more or less easily substituted with a deck of punched card and a COBOL program (since 1963).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back