‘dawn phenomenon’

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this site would accept emojis I’d post a happy face and hand clap. But it doesn’t so I can’t.

Yes sorry! The emojis are a bit hidden, but they do exist!

The forum software cannot interpret the massive library of emojis on many smart devices, but it will convert several of the old ‘punctuation’ versions, and various text shortcuts…

Code:
:) ;) :( >:( 8) :D :eek: o_O :rofl:  etc etc

Additionally there is a menu under the … menu by the link/image buttons in the toolbar. This is the current set of options:

🙂😉:(😡:confused:😎😛:D😱😳🙄o_O:rofl:

Last edited:
This site is really hard to use if you’re new. Is there a map or explanation anywhere?

There is the ‘welcome and getting started’ section which you might find helpful. Especially the ‘How to use the forum’ thread?

I would suggest you start your Libre thread within the ‘Pumping and Technology’ section. That seems most suitable?

I would suggest you start your Libre thread within the ‘Pumping and Technology’ section. That seems most suitable?
Mike, is it possible to amend the description for Pumping and Technology?

Until now it hadn't occurred to me that Libre 2 should sit in the Pumping Forum, because the sub-text says: "This is the place to discuss insulin pumping issues and experiences", which as I understand it does not include Libre 2. Could this be simply amended to " .... and experiences, plus Libre 2". OR "... experiences, plus other Technology".

Until today I'd not even looked at the Pumping forum; I don't pump and until now there has been enough in the General Messageboard and Newbies forums to keep me occupied.

Good thinking @Proud to be erratic ‘technology’ was only recently added, so it makes sense to update the description 🙂

To
I think this needs to be just for Libre 2. The reality is that members will introduce other devices if pertinent and sometimes if not! Look at the thread for false hypos; 3 responses in, we're into vegan sausages, but in context (sort of) and 6 responses in we're on nut rissoles! I think it's marvellous how humour wholly underpins member's response to potential adversity. Yet provide help.

My idea - my thought really - would be to post a specific question titled Libre 2 + whatever the specific Q is. Then open the discussion asking the administrators to consider setting up a specific Libre 2 Forum and place your thread within that new Forum; plus your Q of course. Then start a 2nd thread in the new Forum with a 2nd Q - and step back. The threads will go where they go! Others will generate other threads, I feel sure of that.

If it fizzles out so be it. But I also feel sure that it won't.

‘Proud to be erratic’
I’ll do that then.

Title - or whatever it needs to be called ‘Libre Freestyle’ with a broad description of what it’s for. Does that sound about right?
Ann

Still trying to get to grips with using this site. Was trying to copy in Mike / everydayupsanddowns but can’t. I’ll copy and post to him as a message?

Those creamy yoghurts are pretty high carb at about 15g per pot most of which is sugar so will increase your blood glucose pretty quickly. Try Greek yogurt with some berries.
Agreed. ‘Creamy yoghurts’ are probably a non-starter. But I was trying everything. Fasting, milk, a ‘diabetic plate snack, protein and fat with no carbs, carbs with little else, taking my insulin immediately on waking. Still nothing worked.
I’ve made an appointment to update blood tests and then to see GP to ask for some ‘short acting’ insulin as well to see if that fixes the problem.
Ann

On the whole your chart is pretty good. Dropping nicely while you sleep and staying in range for an brilliant amount of time. Just a thought and sorry if I’ve missed it but are you finger pricking also. I only ask because when I rise or fall quickly the libre tends to get a bit over excited and exaggerate my reading a little
Interesting that you say the Libre ‘tends to get over excited’ - to what extent - in your experience?

Still trying to get to grips with using this site. Was trying to copy in Mike / everydayupsanddowns but can’t. I’ll copy and post to him as a message?

Hello Anne

If you want to mention another forum member in your posts just precede their username with the @ symbol as you would on Twitter.

Like this @AnnSebastian - the system will then turn it into a ‘mention’ when you post your message.

If you would like to reply specifically to something someone has said you can us the ‘reply’ button at the bottom of their post, and their text will appear as a quote for you to write your message below.

The default notifications settings are for the member to be alerted whenever someone mentions them with an @ or quotes their text.

Hello Anne

If you want to mention another forum member in your posts just precede their username with the @ symbol as you would on Twitter.

Like this @AnnSebastian - the system will then turn it into a ‘mention’ when you post your message.

If you would like to reply specifically to something someone has said you can us the ‘reply’ button at the bottom of their post, and their text will appear as a quote for you to write your message below.

The default notifications settings are for the member to be alerted whenever someone mentions them with an @ or quotes their text.
Mike - I’ve posted the thread. Could you run your eye over it? Stupidly it has a typo. Can I correct it?
Thanks

To

‘Proud to be erratic’
I’ll do that then.

Title - or whatever it needs to be called ‘Libre Freestyle’ with a broad description of what it’s for. Does that sound about right?
Ann
Sorry, late start.
I suggest title: "Libre 2, (+ brief descriptor)Awareness Campaign"; then your narrative can make the very valid points you made earlier. A different thread might be: Libre 2, (+ a different theme summary).

So each thread title makes it clear the topic is Libre 2 + whatever and stands it apart from a pumping topic or other technology topic.

Interesting that you say the Libre ‘tends to get over excited’ - to what extent - in your experience?
Hi, I’ve just found in my experience that when sugars are rising quickly it can be a point or so out and when I’m fairly low say 4.2 on finger prick I’m more like 5. Maybe it’s just that little bit behind and at some point the results would of matched, I’m not sure. Had my hba1c results today and it’s 35. Libre estimated 32. Last time libre 35 actual result 39. So I’m taking from that for me personally it runs a little low for me the majority of the time, but that’s obviously just my personal experience.

Hi, I’ve just found in my experience that when sugars are rising quickly it can be a point or so out and when I’m fairly low say 4.2 on finger prick I’m more like 5. Maybe it’s just that little bit behind and at some point the results would of matched, I’m not sure. Had my hba1c results today and it’s 35. Libre estimated 32. Last time libre 35 actual result 39. So I’m taking from that for me personally it runs a little low for me the majority of the time, but that’s obviously just my personal experience.
I find the same and Libre underestimates BG by about 1mmol for me (and therefore "exaggerates" hypos both in number and severity) and leads to a slightly underestimated HbA1c compared to my blood test, usually 3-4mmols lower than actual result.

I wonder if just titling the thread "Freestyle Libre Discussions" rather than specifically "Libre 2" might be helpful. Some of us still use the original Libre and Libre 3 will be out eventually (hopefully the near future), so a more general title may be more appropriate.

I find the same and Libre underestimates BG by about 1mmol for me (and therefore "exaggerates" hypos both in number and severity) and leads to a slightly underestimated HbA1c compared to my blood test, usually 3-4mmols lower than actual result.

I wonder if just titling the thread "Freestyle Libre Discussions" rather than specifically "Libre 2" might be helpful. Some of us still use the original Libre and Libre 3 will be out eventually (hopefully the near future), so a more general title may be more appropriate.

I used the title

I used the Title ‘Technology - Libre Freestyle Blood Glucose Monitoring System’ for the thread purposely to include everyone.​

Hi @EmmaL76 , from your example Libre 2 = 4.2, but finger prick = 5, I think that you are seeing the technical lag that exists between Libre 2 interstitial BG and the finger prick actual BG. Abbott claim this technical lag is c. 2.4mins, from their formal launch data, an improvement on the original Libre of c. 15mins.

I think the lag is nearer 5mins, from my 11 months of wearing Libre 2, with over 6 months also having a CGM (Diabox app on android phone) that can be calibrated to fairly closely match actual BG. [I've also had long periods 'trapped' in my armchair by low BG, with not much else to do, but look at the nos; it's happening right now.... !!].

But even allowing for the genuine lag, I have found many of my sensors have been giving readings lower than finger pricking when in steady state, ie BG neither rising or falling. Of course I have no certainty that my blood test meter (Accu-Chek Mobile, model U1) isn't running high and the sensor is correct when in that steady state, although my meter seems to correctly confirm my status when I am hypo whereas my Libre isn't always confirming that - [like now: Libre 2 been to 3.5, finger prick was 4.5 and had no hypo symptoms]. Whatever, at this low I'm still effectively disabled .. unable to go and do a long-outstanding garden job.

Re "excited" Libre, (should be fun, but alas ..) I find there are periods when my BG is changing so rapidly the sensor algorithm can't keep up and I either get sensor error messages asking me to wait 10 mins or my CGM pauses and disconnects. But it usually reconnects when the sensor has worked off its 'excitement'. I have no panc'y and have watched in some horror while my BG fell from high 9s to 4.1 within 10 mins - luckily I somehow knew this was about to happen and almost immediately started stuffing JBs down me, preventing a serious hypo, I think. That's a fall rate of almost 0.5mmol/L; on another occasion I've recorded a shorter fall at 0.7mmol/L.

Anyway, my BG is recovering, the sun is shining and there is a dead tree root that I need to get 'excited' about. Regards.

I think that you are seeing the technical lag that exists between Libre 2 interstitial BG and the finger prick actual

Yes I agree with the above statement almost entirely, but there is a genuine discrepancy I think for me as it does under estimate my A1C indicating that its often running slightly lower. I don’t worry about it, as I’ve factored it in.

Yes, I recognise that situation.
I think when Libre 3 hits the streets of UK it will need its own threads. I also think Libre discussions is a valid thread in its own right.

Meanwhile Ann was, I believe, trying to keep a focus on one element of Libre 2. As you already know so many threads get highjacked from the original intent, which is interesting and fun but difficult when reading through to get to the answers being offered. There will, I hope be other threads on other aspects of Libre.

I think that you are seeing the technical lag that exists between Libre 2 interstitial BG and the finger prick actual

Yes I agree with the above statement almost entirely, but there is a genuine discrepancy I think for me as it does under estimate my A1C indicating that its often running slightly lower. I don’t worry about it, as I’ve factored it in.
I think, as a newbie to DM, that as CGMs become more prevalent we'll see things like A1C being phased out and the technology will provide better interpretations of our overall BG. But not this month! It will take some years for the scanned data to become our accepted norm and found widely enough to become acceptable.

As a digression: when Brunel was successfully using steam power to cross the Atlantic in SS Great Western in 1837, the Royal Navy was robustly ignoring this new technology. Subsequently they reluctantly did make the transfer to steam power but their last great sailing warship was finally decommissioned in 1880. Such is the power of great (massive and bloated) Government departments, that technical progress can readily be ignored. I fear the NHS bureaucracy, underpinned by NICE will fall into that trap. Active warfare forces the military to think afresh and take on new technology; to a large extent the same has been shown for the NHS response to Covid. But diabetes isn't seen in that light.

Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Diabetes T2 about 10 years ago and getting more and more careless about testing - I really fell off the wagon.

Decided to check out the Freestyle Libre sensor. Wow! Life changing. Now I understand how it all works.

In a couple of months I’ve managed to reduce my average blood glucose from 7.0 + to 6.0 - and counting. Images from the app. I’m aiming for under 6. Estimated A1C is now 6.

Just one big problem I can’t find a solution to. When I wake up my blood glucose starts climbing even if I’ve been fasting since the day before. I just can’t find a way to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Ann View attachment 19846View attachment 19847

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread. I’m still struggling. My ‘average blood glucose’ is down to 6 - 6.1 (from well over 7) but the spikes just won’t stop. I need to keep the rest of my readings really low to maintain that average.

Thanks to suggestions from Diabetes UK forum I’ll look into getting some ‘quick acting’ insulin as well - in case that helps.

I don’t have a consultant or a hospital - just 3 monthly appointments with a ‘diabetes nurse’ at my GP surgery - I have a feeling that they’re not used to dealing with anything a bit more complicated and might say no, and suggest I need to get a referral to a hospital service. I’d rather not do that unless there is no other choice.

But again, thanks, your suggestions have helped me to think around how to move forward.

Ann

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread. I’m still struggling. My ‘average blood glucose’ is down to 6 - 6.1 (from well over 7) but the spikes just won’t stop. I need to keep the rest of my readings really low to maintain that average.

Thanks to suggestions from Diabetes UK forum I’ll look into getting some ‘quick acting’ insulin as well - in case that helps.

I don’t have a consultant or a hospital - just 3 monthly appointments with a ‘diabetes nurse’ at my GP surgery - I have a feeling that they’re not used to dealing with anything a bit more complicated and might say no, and suggest I need to get a referral to a hospital service. I’d rather not do that unless there is no other choice.

But again, thanks, your suggestions have helped me to think around how to move forward.

Ann

A question about insulin.
I have only been using innolet human insulin. I started on 20 units a day and it crept up to 40+ and now I’m working on reducing it again.

My ex diabetes nurse said she had patients on far higher doses, and also, if I were trying to reduce my needs, if it got down to 8 units a day it was t really necessary to use it.

Anyone want to share their insulin needs? I’m not sure if the only difference is between long and short-acting insulin or if fdifferent brands are very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back