‘dawn phenomenon’

Status
Not open for further replies.
And metformin.
As well as Tumeric with Black Pepper and Ceylon Cinnamon as backup. Not on prescription. Obviously
Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Diabetes T2 about 10 years ago and getting more and more careless about testing - I really fell off the wagon.

Decided to check out the Freestyle Libre sensor. Wow! Life changing. Now I understand how it all works.

In a couple of months I’ve managed to reduce my average blood glucose from 7.0 + to 6.0 - and counting. Images from the app. I’m aiming for under 6. Estimated A1C is now 6.

Just one big problem I can’t find a solution to. When I wake up my blood glucose starts climbing even if I’ve been fasting since the day before. I just can’t find a way to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Ann View attachment 19846View attachment 19847

I’m not sure where to post this so for now I’ll add it to the DP thread…

Slightly ‘off topic’ but - I’ve had a problem with body ‘overheating’ for more than 15 years To the point that I’ve spent whole winters without turning on the central heating more than a couple of times. The obvious cause would seem to be ‘menopause’ but it’s not.

It hadn’t changed since it started. I googled regularly to see if I could find this listed on any diabetes symptom lists, but until recently I couldn’t find it anywhere.

Since I started using Libre I’ve been able to keep detailed records comparing blood glucose levels and ‘overheating’ and it’s become clear that the two are connected, for me anyway. It hasn’t stopped completely but now I’m more in control of BG it’s much better than it was.

Anyone else have/ had this problem?

Anyone else had a problem with their body ‘overheating’?

As well as Tumeric with Black Pepper and Ceylon Cinnamon as backup. Not on prescription. Obviously

I’m not sure where to post this so for now I’ll add it to the DP thread…

Slightly ‘off topic’ but - I’ve had a problem with body ‘overheating’ for more than 15 years To the point that I’ve spent whole winters without turning on the central heating more than a couple of times. The obvious cause would seem to be ‘menopause’ but it’s not.

It hadn’t changed since it started. I googled regularly to see if I could find this listed on any diabetes symptom lists, but until recently I couldn’t find it anywhere.

Since I started using Libre I’ve been able to keep detailed records comparing blood glucose levels and ‘overheating’ and it’s become clear that the two are connected, for me anyway. It hasn’t stopped completely but now I’m more in control of BG it’s much better than it was.

Anyone else have/ had this problem?

Anyone else had a problem with their body ‘overheating’?
There is quite a bit of evidence that diabetes can interfere with the body's temperature regulation.

Done it. Title ‘Libre Freestyle Sensor ‘User Forum’ but it doesn’t seem to have registered yet. I’ll see what happens.
There is quite a bit of evidence that diabetes can interfere with the body's temperature regulation.

I believe you’re absolutely right. But until recently I couldn’t find much with basic googling to support that. If you have any info - generic news or research papers - please post a link? Thanks.

I believe you’re absolutely right. But until recently I couldn’t find much with basic googling to support that. If you have any info - generic news or research papers - please post a link? Thanks.

Body temperature regulation in diabetes - NCBIhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC4861190

Body temperature regulation in diabetes - PubMedhttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ..

Body temperature regulation in diabetes - NCBIhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC4861190

Body temperature regulation in diabetes - PubMedhttps://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ..
Thanks. I’ll check it out.

PubMed looks like an interesting resource. It seems to be some kind of journal. I googled it but can’t find a central database to search. There are plenty of references and articles citing it but… Do you have any more info? Is it in the public domain or does it require some kind of membership or professional status?

Thanks

Ann

Do you have any more info? Is it in the public domain or does it require some kind of membership or professional status?

From Wikipedia: PubMed is a free search engine accessing primarily the MEDLINE database of references and abstracts on life sciences and biomedical topics. The United States National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health maintain the database as part of the Entrez system of information retrieval.

As far as I am aware most of the studies published there are open access. 🙂

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

PubMed looks like an interesting resource. It seems to be some kind of journal. I googled it but can’t find a central database to search. There are plenty of references and articles citing it but… Do you have any more info? Is it in the public domain or does it require some kind of membership or professional status?

Thanks

Ann
I used to be able to access it from my Uni e-mail, sometimes you can just get abstracts from home.
sorry didn't think about that. There were lots of others by just searching Diabetes and temperature regulation.

From Wikipedia: PubMed is a free search engine accessing primarily the MEDLINE database of references and abstracts on life sciences and biomedical topics. The United States National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health maintain the database as part of the Entrez system of information retrieval.

Thanks.

In case anyone else is interested - Found my way via links to this

Seems to be a useful resource - they just ask for an email address.
I subscribed to the ‘weekly digest’

Is it ‘etiquette’ to post a summary of ‘medical history’ re diabetes? If that’s the case I’ll do it when I have time and energy.
A lot of people have it at the bottom of the window, I'm not sure how you add it it though.

A lot of people have it at the bottom of the window, I'm not sure how you add it it though.
It is in their signature.
If you click on your name at the top right of the page and select "Signature" you can add your medical history, amusing quotes or nothing at all.
There is no obligation to share your life story. Just what you feel comfortable with.

There are quite a lot of us here on the forum using Libre and people often start threads about specific issues with it, so I am not really sure what a general Libre thread would achieve. What do you hope to gain from it? We sometimes share our overnight graph's on the "Group 7-day waking average" thread particularly if we had what we call a "flatfish" where levels are low and steady all night and I occasionally get porpoises which skim under and over the top of my range all night.... ie hover about 10 all night which is a bit frustrating and obviously suggests a basal insulin increase for the next night

Am I correct in thinking that you are using insulin?
I guess I’m looking at it from the perspective of someone new. I’ve searched for posts related to ‘Libre’ and followed accounts that look as if they use the sensor. But it’s hard work. If there were a simpler way it would make ‘engaging’ a lot easier and faster.

Did you start a new Libre thread? Or did you let my comment put you off? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be negative. I think I was just trying to understand what you were wanting to know about Libre or what you were wanting to discuss? I think most of us agree it absolutely is a game changer and particularly the Time in Range feature. Do you use that? I treat it like a very long running, slow computer game where I try to achieve a personal best score. With the insulin you are using you are limited to exercise and drinking water to bring levels down and obviously eating and drinking the things that send it high in the first place, but you should still find that TIR feature useful.

I guess I’m looking at it from the perspective of someone new. I’ve searched for posts related to ‘Libre’ and followed accounts that look as if they use the sensor. But it’s hard work. If there were a simpler way it would make ‘engaging’ a lot easier and faster.
That makes sense to me, ie if the post title is very generic then the search brings a wealth of generic material. But if the search is a little more focused, it seems to find threads that stay within the search. Equally if the thread is generically titled the responses are varied, interesting enough, but readily drifting off-topic.

That said, it's probably easier to start a new thread but quite tightly titled and get up to date views; this might be particularly relevant for matters arising to Libre in general rather than Libre 2 + whatever the question is. The change in the last 12 months by NICE and the NHS of availability of Libre 2 for T1s (should of course be people who are insulin dependent and include T3c, my GP clearly didn't understand just how dependent I am, so within the criteria I apparently wasn't eligible)(frustrating, rant over) - there has been a big increase in users of Libre, particularly L2, with its alarms and shortened lag time between actual and interstitial.

For my own experiment I've just done a forum search for overheating and it produces a lot of threads; albeit one is about someone's laptop overheating (who knew how eclectic diabetes could be?). So for the right topic a forum search can work and overheating probably doesn't get so out of date as technology does.

Not sure what to conclude from this ramble.

Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Diabetes T2 about 10 years ago and getting more and more careless about testing - I really fell off the wagon.

Decided to check out the Freestyle Libre sensor. Wow! Life changing. Now I understand how it all works.

In a couple of months I’ve managed to reduce my average blood glucose from 7.0 + to 6.0 - and counting. Images from the app. I’m aiming for under 6. Estimated A1C is now 6.

Just one big problem I can’t find a solution to. When I wake up my blood glucose starts climbing even if I’ve been fasting since the day before. I just can’t find a way to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Ann View attachment 19846View attachment 19847

Using the LibreFreestyle sensor. I’ve been doing quite well with bg control. But I’m still struggling with the glucose spike every morning. It’s not on waking, it starts to rise a while after I get up and then keeps on going. Worst for this week it went from a stable 5.2 overnight to a spike of 10 + that took from 7.30 am to 10.00 to come down again to 6.2. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. I’ve tried a variety of things. Fasting. Eating a small amount, a protein bar, milk and more. My blood glucose average is still around 6 because the rest of the day I can keep it pretty low.

I’m using ‘innolet’ human insulin. (And metformin 500 x 2)

Is there anyone using short-acting insulin - if so, have you ever used it to treat something similar?

Thinking of asking for some short-acting insulin as well as innolet - but only if it might help me with the daily spike.

Interested to hear from anyone who has solved spiking problem in this way.

Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back