‘dawn phenomenon’

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 19862

This Is the problem.
I’ve lowered my target range from 3.9 - 10 to 3.9 to 7.8. Apart from this I’m really pleased with myself. The LibreFreestyle sensor system is brilliant - but very expensive. My plan was to use it for a while to change my habits. At the moment it’s only available on NHS for people with Type 1 - and only under specific circumstances. If you see any opportunities to campaign to make it available for Type 2 - do it!
It’s not for everyone but for some it’s life changing.
On the whole your chart is pretty good. Dropping nicely while you sleep and staying in range for an brilliant amount of time. Just a thought and sorry if I’ve missed it but are you finger pricking also. I only ask because when I rise or fall quickly the libre tends to get a bit over excited and exaggerate my reading a little

It’s working pretty well for me, so far, but we’re all different. It’s only because I can scan with the sensor every few minutes to evaluate the effect of anything in nearly ‘real time’ that I’ve managed to control my blood glucose in a way I’ve never been able to before.

On the whole your chart is pretty good. Dropping nicely while you sleep and staying in range for an brilliant amount of time. Just a thought and sorry if I’ve missed it but are you finger pricking also. I only ask because when I rise or fall quickly the libre tends to get a bit over excited and exaggerate my reading a little

Yes. Finger pricking too. Libre says it’s a few minutes behind a finger pricking reading. But thanks for reminding me - I had planned to spend a day finger pricking and sensor reading at nearly the same time just to be sure I was still on the right track.

Are you using the Libre sensor?
Is there a forum for those who are? It could be good to have a forum to compare notes.

Is there a forum for those who are? It could be good to have a forum to compare notes.
Ive been using it for about 8 months. I’m not sure if there is a particular forum for those who are, but any questions just start a new thread and somebody will always help xx

There is a Facebook group but, unlike this forum, I found it very negative and overly prescriptive so left.
It focused on the quality and placement of the sensors rather than interpreting the data.

If there isn’t one then it’s about time to start one? I’ve followed everyone I could find who seems to use the LibreFreestyle - but I’m not familiar with the way this forum works yet.

I’m happy to start an ongoing thread. I could just call it ‘Freestyle Libre users forum’ unless you can think of a better title.

(I don’t do Facebook )

If there isn’t one then it’s about time to start one? I’ve followed everyone I could find who seems to use the LibreFreestyle - but I’m not familiar with the way this forum works yet.

I’m happy to start an ongoing thread. I could just call it ‘Freestyle Libre users forum’ unless you can think of a better title.

(I don’t do Facebook )
It took me a while to find out how to start a new thread but you just select the white forums tab at the top and then new thread.

It took me a while to find out how to start a new thread but you just select the white forums tab at the top and then new thread.

Done it. Title ‘Libre Freestyle Sensor ‘User Forum’ but it doesn’t seem to have registered yet. I’ll see what happens.

There are quite a lot of us here on the forum using Libre and people often start threads about specific issues with it, so I am not really sure what a general Libre thread would achieve. What do you hope to gain from it? We sometimes share our overnight graph's on the "Group 7-day waking average" thread particularly if we had what we call a "flatfish" where levels are low and steady all night and I occasionally get porpoises which skim under and over the top of my range all night.... ie hover about 10 all night which is a bit frustrating and obviously suggests a basal insulin increase for the next night

Am I correct in thinking that you are using insulin?

There are quite a lot of us here on the forum using Libre and people often start threads about specific issues with it, so I am not really sure what a general Libre thread would achieve. What do you hope to gain from it? We sometimes share our overnight graph's on the "Group 7-day waking average" thread particularly if we had what we call a "flatfish" where levels are low and steady all night and I occasionally get porpoises which skim under and over the top of my range all night.... ie hover about 10 all night which is a bit frustrating and obviously suggests a basal insulin increase for the next night

I don't think Ann has ever said whether she is on insulin or any other meds.

It’s working pretty well for me, so far, but we’re all different. It’s only because I can scan with the sensor every few minutes to evaluate the effect of anything in nearly ‘real time’ that I’ve managed to control my blood glucose in a way I’ve never been able to before.
Hi Ann, are you on an android or iPhone?

I ask because there is an app called Diabox, that currently can't be used with ios, but can with android. Diabox takes Libre 2 sensor readings and applies its own algorithm to provide a direct CGM to your phone.

Having CGM in this way makes the transition from finger-pricking Libre seem trivial and beats frequent scanning. I also now have it displaying on my Samsung Galaxy 3 watch, which means I no longer walk around with my phone in my hand. Given your commitment to your DM management so far, you might appreciate Diabox. It's free, unless you'd like to make a donation.

I'm sure it will become available soon(ish) the developer is working on it but has a lot of hoops to jump through to satisfy Apple criteria. Regards.

Yes, I worked on a project that required both hardware and software go through Apple’s MFi process. It was a bit of a pain, but probably good for Apple in that it keeps standards high. Our stuff got through the process without any issues as Apple provide plenty of tools to allow you check things beforehand.

I don't seem to get this Dawn Phenomenon. My BG stays at the waking level (Usually between 4 and 6) until about an hour after eating, when it goes up a little. I can see from my Libre data that it flatlines pretty much all night as well.

Last edited:

You’re probably right.

Hi Ann, are you on an android or iPhone?

I ask because there is an app called Diabox, that currently can't be used with ios, but can with android. Diabox takes Libre 2 sensor readings and applies its own algorithm to provide a direct CGM to your phone.

Having CGM in this way makes the transition from finger-pricking Libre seem trivial and beats frequent scanning. I also now have it displaying on my Samsung Galaxy 3 watch, which means I no longer walk around with my phone in my hand. Given your commitment to your DM management so far, you might appreciate Diabox. It's free, unless you'd like to make a donation.

I'm sure it will become available soon(ish) the developer is working on it but has a lot of hoops to jump through to satisfy Apple criteria. Regards.
iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back