Woken by hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, just tested and I'm 5.2 4 hours post meal, so it will be coming down from that over the next hour - really thought I had seriously underdosed for my tea, 10 units instead of the 16 I would have had last week! Looks like more toast, jam and peanut butter! Now - do I reduce the lantus again? Think I might risk it and see what happens...

Hope the night goes well Alan

I woke in the night at around 4:30 and was 6.3 - was 6.1 this morning. Going to see how I go through the day and decide whether 5 lantus is too low a dose.

An odd day yesterday - I woke to 6.1, after breakfast and before run I was 11 (high for me) and 9.3 on return. I was then 7.3 before lunch and thinking that maybe my lantus was now too low, but then I was 4.3 before tea. I was 6.0 before bed, woke in the night and was 5.0 and then woke this morning to 4.7 which is the lowest waking level I've had for ages so it seems the lantus isn't too low - might even have to change again! (I'd also been having far less novorapid than I would have a week or so ago)

Well, it seems hypos do wake me up! Went to bed a bit earlier and woke about 2 hours later feeling a little 'odd'. Tested at 2.1 :( No real symptoms, except it didn't feel like 'sleepiness' when I woke. That's my fourth hypo in 24 hours - have also had a 3.7, a 2.2 and a 2.9. Think I might have to reduce my lantus.

Now absolutely ravenous and trying to resist the urge to overtreat! I've already had two biscuits, three jelly babies and some lucozade! 😱 Just tested (half an hour later) and I'm 5.6, so back to bed I think!

Yep, woken by hypo at 2.30 this morning, I was 2.4

I dont know why but even though I know I am clearly low, I still test before treating, not sure this is a good habit. But I cant help it. I knew I was obviously very low, but still went downstairs to get my meter. why do I do this? 😱

An odd day yesterday - I woke to 6.1, after breakfast and before run I was 11 (high for me) and 9.3 on return. I was then 7.3 before lunch and thinking that maybe my lantus was now too low, but then I was 4.3 before tea. I was 6.0 before bed, woke in the night and was 5.0 and then woke this morning to 4.7 which is the lowest waking level I've had for ages so it seems the lantus isn't too low - might even have to change again! (I'd also been having far less novorapid than I would have a week or so ago)

Do you think your breakfast ratio needs to be increased? Is this a pattern or a one off Northe?

Yep, woken by hypo at 2.30 this morning, I was 2.4

I dont know why but even though I know I am clearly low, I still test before treating, not sure this is a good habit. But I cant help it. I knew I was obviously very low, but still went downstairs to get my meter. why do I do this? 😱

I always test first too, as I usually can't tell if I am low or just sleepy.I keep a meter by my bed, but annoyingly last night it decided to fail on the first strip I put in, then gave a battery error on the second so I had to go downstairs to get my other meter!

Do you think your breakfast ratio needs to be increased? Is this a pattern or a one off Northe?

It's all part of dealing with this recent run pf lows - I think I try and keep the breakfast dose lower than it really ought to be because at all other times I seem to be injecting too much! There's such a contrast to what I need in the morning and what I need later on!

I always test first too, as I usually can't tell if I am low or just sleepy.I keep a meter by my bed, but annoyingly last night it decided to fail on the first strip I put in, then gave a battery error on the second so I had to go downstairs to get my other meter!

Typical! :D

It's all part of dealing with this recent run pf lows - I think I try and keep the breakfast dose lower than it really ought to be because at all other times I seem to be injecting too much! There's such a contrast to what I need in the morning and what I need later on!

I know its difficult. I have been having lows after breakfast for the first time ever, after finally sorting the dreaded DP! been lowering my basal over the last week, but am going to try a lower ratio tomorrow. Unfortunately I think it is something that is always changing and we just have to try and keep on top of it as best we can. 🙂

Also had a good one at 3am. Tested 2.2 so had a JB and Alpen to see me through, then decided things weren't improving, so had can of coke. Re tested and GF wouldn't tell me what it was btu opened another can and had another JB. Once I started to recover, she told me I had tested LO (below 1.1).
Only had a fairly easy stroll in the evening but it seemed to affect me out of proportion.

Really would love to get hands on one of those constant monitoring meters. 🙂

Rob

Also had a good one at 3am. Tested 2.2 so had a JB and Alpen to see me through, then decided things weren't improving, so had can of coke. Re tested and GF wouldn't tell me what it was btu opened another can and had another JB. Once I started to recover, she told me I had tested LO (below 1.1).
Only had a fairly easy stroll in the evening but it seemed to affect me out of proportion.

Really would love to get hands on one of those constant monitoring meters. 🙂

Rob

Eek! Sounds like you have a very good case for getting one on loan - ask your DSN what the procedures are for getting one. I've never been that low, and you must have been really dropping to still be low after all those carbs 😱

Hope you don't have too much of a hypo-hangover today. I've been lucky in that my hypos haven't given me a sore head afterwards.

I'm not holding out any great hope. They prob haven't heard of them 🙄

I tend not to get a headache, other than from loss of sleep. I have had many nausea days after bad hypos though. When I really go out for the count and start convulsing and the old glucagon comes into play, it leaves you feeling like you've had an hour on the waltzers. Yeueurk. :(

My DSN has a reputation for forgetting about appointments, so we're going to check with the surgery on monday that she has actually been in touch with the hospital clinic.

We're going to repeat last night's tea and go for the same walk, but this time have different food afterwards. Hopefully it will have a different outcome.

Rob

Well, having hugely under-dosed for my evening meal, I am now 6.9 which seems like a good figure to go to bed on. Hope to sleep through tonight, all this broken sleep is catching up with me! No snack and 5 lantus, run tomorrow if the weather isn't totally rubbish!

Woke up to a 5.3 this morning, so obviously have got the lantus adjustments just about right. I did wake in the night but didn't bother with a test as I'd been 6.9 before bed which is quite high for me these days 🙂

Woke up to a 5.3 this morning, so obviously have got the lantus adjustments just about right. I did wake in the night but didn't bother with a test as I'd been 6.9 before bed which is quite high for me these days 🙂

Let's hope your basal leaves you alone for a bit now... So annoying when it changes from one month to the next.

How are you doing with breakfasts these days? I'm having to give my breakfast basal a bit of a head start (20-45 minutes) to keep the spikes even vaguely under control. Blummin liver action! 😡

Grr! Tested an hour ago before injecting lantus and was 5.3 so I had a slice of PB. Just tested now and I'm 4.1! 😡 Not sure what to eat now, as the peanut butter bread is probably still digesting. Might just try a couple of jelly babies and see how it goes.

Grr! Tested an hour ago before injecting lantus and was 5.3 so I had a slice of PB. Just tested now and I'm 4.1! 😡 Not sure what to eat now, as the peanut butter bread is probably still digesting. Might just try a couple of jelly babies and see how it goes.

Hi Northey hope the jelly babies worked and you had a good nights sleep x

Hi Northey hope the jelly babies worked and you had a good nights sleep x

Thanks Steffie 🙂 It seems the jelly babies were exactly the right amount of carbs I needed. I woke at around 2:30 and tested at 4.6. I decided not to eat anything, but trust that I would wake up, and when I rose this morning I was 4.3 - how's about that for steady levels?!! I know some of you are probably holding up your hands in horror and would have scoffed something extra after seeing the 4.6, but there didn't seem to be any reason why I should drop any lower.

Unless I felt dodgy I wouldnt take anything at 4.6 as its not actually low.....

I only ever find myself at this level before meals anyway........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back