Woken by hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi northe. I hope you manage to sort your levels out soon, and hope you feel better in the morning! x

Can't sleep, won't sleep... I'm not sure! :/

Are you a better level now?

Can't sleep, won't sleep... I'm not sure! :/

Are you a better level now?

Just tested and am 7.4 so think I will head off back to bed now, I'm cream-crackered! Hope you can get some sleep, m'dear 🙂

Crumbs you've had a couple of days of it Northerner!

Reading this it occurs to me: we've had the experience of reducing insulin by 60% over entire days when lots of exercise seems to be a factor - and this is result somehow of what feels like a 'tipping point'. E can do quite a bit of extra w fairly straightforward adjustments, then bam - a bit more and his needs are halved. May be just him...

Perhaps reduce your lantus by quite a bit more than you think you need to - so you run high for a while? Then work back down? Hypos begetting hypos and all that. Please take good care...

Xxoo

Yikes!

I used to get ALOT of night time hypos but they've started to stop? I woke on 4.8mmol.

Have you been snacking before bed? (Sorry if this has been asked/replied to. Not read all the replies)

Crumbs you've had a couple of days of it Northerner!

Reading this it occurs to me: we've had the experience of reducing insulin by 60% over entire days when lots of exercise seems to be a factor - and this is result somehow of what feels like a 'tipping point'. E can do quite a bit of extra w fairly straightforward adjustments, then bam - a bit more and his needs are halved. May be just him...

Perhaps reduce your lantus by quite a bit more than you think you need to - so you run high for a while? Then work back down? Hypos begetting hypos and all that. Please take good care...

Xxoo

You could be right Patricia. I'm only on 7 lantus currently, but am going to reduce to 6 tonight. I know you are supposed to wait 3 days before making further changes with lantus, but it clearly didn't work last night, and this is what I've had to do in the past. I have a theory that I still have some residual beta cell function, which is why my basal requirements are less than 20% of my total daily dose (even less tonight!). A rise in the frequency of exercise may be improving this, or improving my insulin sensitivity to a high degree.

Yikes!

I used to get ALOT of night time hypos but they've started to stop? I woke on 4.8mmol.

Have you been snacking before bed? (Sorry if this has been asked/replied to. Not read all the replies)

Had a slice of toast generously spread with strawberry jam last night. If I had that for breakfast I would need 7 units of novorapid for it, so you would expect it to keep my levels up overnight! Might try my old favourite of peanut butter sandwich tonight though as that may digest more slowly and cover any early peak in the lantus I might be getting.

These are the first couple of night hypos I've had for ages. I think I had one about a month ago, and before that it was several months.

When we've reduced in the past - or raised actually - in times of extremis such as you are having, we have moved more than 10% at once, and moved daily! I know it's not advised, but you are right, you know yourself.

Re residual beta cell function: as you know there is anecdotal and beginning to be scientific evidence that early good control can do this, perhaps even to the point of the body developing a 'memory' of control, outlasting even the residual function.... So says our consultant! We too anyway have a lower than expected basal and correction levels - both positive and negative!

Bit of a bad run of lows Northerner. :(

Could it be your continued build up on the running ?

The textbooks suggest that exercise increases sensitivity and with building up fitness and pushing your muscles, could that sensitivity be compounded to this degree do you think ?

I'm also finding it difficult to get through the night without a snack and then I'm often over 10 in the morning. But a definite dip between 2 and 3am.

Hope you sort it. Is you lantus causing lows during the day btw ?

Rob

Not any paramedics, just an annoyed husband haha. He was running around the house naked looking for glucose tablets, i wouldnt tell them where they where :D

I have been lowering my meals too but still had a hypo before and i had a jam dougnut after dinner, i was thinking id be stupid high, but 1.6. Crazy.

How many miles is the run?

x

Unless your main aim is to see your husband running naked round the house, why not just put a packet of sweets / glucose tablets by the bed?!? Despite having an able and willing partner (who never wears anything in bed / sleeping bag unless someone other than me is around), I just keep a bumbag, containing sweets, insulin pens, glasses & contact lenses, hanging on the bedpost.

Bit of a bad run of lows Northerner. :(

Could it be your continued build up on the running ?

The textbooks suggest that exercise increases sensitivity and with building up fitness and pushing your muscles, could that sensitivity be compounded to this degree do you think ?

I'm also finding it difficult to get through the night without a snack and then I'm often over 10 in the morning. But a definite dip between 2 and 3am.

Hope you sort it. Is you lantus causing lows during the day btw ?

Rob

Just had another one, a 2.4! Very little warning. I was surprised as I'd really cut back on my lunch bolus and was expecting to be relatively high before tea. So, I had an even more reduced bolus with my evening meal - let's see what happens with that! The problem is that, when things are changing like this it's practically impossible to carb-count because you can't tell what your ratios are. My total daily dose today will be 31 units, about a month ago it was 46 units. Nearly cured! 😉

It's definitely to do with the running, but so difficult to predict. Before my run this morning I was 9.2. When I got back I was 10.1, by lunch I was 6.6, then 2.4 about 4 hours later. Lowering the lantus again tonight, plus a slice of bread and peanut butter!

It's a nightmare to know how to pitch it isn't it. As for trying to lose weight as well, you have to limit what you eat, but then eat loads to beat the hypos.

I did manage to get some weight off in the end but only once my body had adjusted to the exercise, which seemed a bit self defeating but worked in the end.

We found Alpen Light cereal bars are one of the best calories/carb ratios without being too unhealthy and might even be medium-ish GI.

Rob

It's a nightmare to know how to pitch it isn't it. As for trying to lose weight as well, you have to limit what you eat, but then eat loads to beat the hypos.

I did manage to get some weight off in the end but only once my body had adjusted to the exercise, which seemed a bit self defeating but worked in the end.

We found Alpen Light cereal bars are one of the best calories/carb ratios without being too unhealthy and might even be medium-ish GI.

Rob

Cheers Rob. Weight has never been a problem to me in the past, but since diagnosis I have put on a lot more than I am used to - I have always been relatively skinny and light. My ideal weight is around 10.5 st, but I'm currently 12 st. My weight has stabilised at this level and doesn't seem to want to come off - but it probably isn't being helped when I have to treat 8 hypos in just over two days! Flippin' diabetes! I think I've got some Alpen bars knocking around - had them over a year, maybe now is the time to start eating them!

I'm not consciously trying to lose weight, just trying to get fit and hoping the weight will go with that. Must be helping that I burned around 500 cals on this morning's run! 🙂

Likewise the weight. When I was in my mid 20s, my control was so poor due to shift of priorities (baby, etc) that I was skin and bone. I was about 10.5st myself which is low for 5'10". In recent years I was stuck at 72kg, whatever that translates to in old money. Since I started looking after myself recently, I went up to 11st 13lb because the highs weren't diverting fat and muscle through my kidneys.
I'm now back to a 32" waist but it's precarious unless we walk a couple of miles a day. I may have to buy some 34" as a backup.

I'm actually feeling a bit low now after testing at 4.2 an hour ago and eating a slice of toast (16g carb). Funny old game innit. 🙄

Test ahoy !

Rob

2.8 oops !

Hob nob eaten.

Rob

Cut backs !

We had it good for too long and now comes an era of austerity. We were just debating how big a hammer we should use to tackle he current low, bearing in mind it's an hour and a half until bedtime, I want to avoid a low in the night but don't want to be too high in the morning.

We do have to face a series of dichotomies on a daily basis and they say that once you get into the swing of it, diabetes shouldn't affect your life. Unless you want each day to be slightly different, then you need a doctorate in endocrinology and quantum theory ! :D

Rob

Sounds like a cue for my poem 'Quantum Diabetes and Schroedinger's Hypo'

http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/2010/07/quantum-diabetes-and-schroedingers-hypo.html

:D

I was 10.7 three hours after eating my tea - high for me, so maybe I overestimated my underestimate on the novorapid! Still, should mean I'm high enough to go to bed without jam on toast or peanut butter! Mind you, that's no guarantee I won't hypo again like last night! Still debating whether to drop the lantus down another unit to see what effect it has on my waking level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back