Woken by hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, it seems hypos do wake me up! Went to bed a bit earlier and woke about 2 hours later feeling a little 'odd'. Tested at 2.1 :( No real symptoms, except it didn't feel like 'sleepiness' when I woke. That's my fourth hypo in 24 hours - have also had a 3.7, a 2.2 and a 2.9. Think I might have to reduce my lantus.

Now absolutely ravenous and trying to resist the urge to overtreat! I've already had two biscuits, three jelly babies and some lucozade! 😱 Just tested (half an hour later) and I'm 5.6, so back to bed I think!

Is that the first time you've woken hypo?

I hope you feel ok in the morning and the hypos become less frequent very soon x

Is that the first time you've woken hypo?

I hope you feel ok in the morning and the hypos become less frequent very soon x

Thanks Katie 🙂 No, but I don't have many night hypos these days, this was probably my second in the last 6 months or so. I do usually wake up, but don't feel very hypo. It seems logical to test though, and then I find I am very low and start to feel it!

Good job you woke up.....2.1 is scary. Hope you will have a good night sleep and your BS is normal in the morning.
Kay🙂

Thank you Kay 🙂 Typical - I went to bed early because I wanted a good night's sleep and now it's been spoiled! Grrr!!!

Hope you are feeling better this morning 🙂.

I hope there is no hypo hangover for you.

I know a hypo is serious, but my little feller (and me) want to know how you can over treat? SOrry I'm being frivolous, it is Monday morning

Ouch, that's a lot of hypos in 24 hours, take iteasy today and look after yourself

I hope there is no hypo hangover for you.

I know a hypo is serious, but my little feller (and me) want to know how you can over treat? SOrry I'm being frivolous, it is Monday morning

Its all about the effect of carbohydrate on the Blood Glucose.......

10 grams of carbohyrate brings your BG up abour 2-3mmol/l, everyone is different but this is the standard.......

The rule I follow is 20g of quickly absorbed sugar (6 jelly babies) and thats it, test again if still feeling dodgy then repeat process if still low, this avoids overeating and going high.........

To be honest there has been times I have just overeaten anyway as its so satisfying when your hypo..........

Caroline

I find it very easy to overtreat a hypo - taking too much in the way of carbs to raise blood sugar and ending up yoyo-ing into hyperglycaemia.

Doing a little DIY yesterday and I went from 2.4 to 9.3 over about 40 minutes due to a slightly over-generous swig of Lucozade! I also find that 15-20g short-acting carbs are usually plenty. Some people need something a little longer-acting to follow up, I've even heard people say, "Like a sandwich" - which would send me sky high with or without any liver-based mucking about...

Caroline

I find it very easy to overtreat a hypo - taking too much in the way of carbs to raise blood sugar and ending up yoyo-ing into hyperglycaemia.

Doing a little DIY yesterday and I went from 2.4 to 9.3 over about 40 minutes due to a slightly over-generous swig of Lucozade! I also find that 15-20g short-acting carbs are usually plenty. Some people need something a little longer-acting to follow up, I've even heard people say, "Like a sandwich" - which would send me sky high with or without any liver-based mucking about...

Well, I survived the night! Thanks for all your good wishes everyone 🙂 I woke to 5.3 this morning. My BG went up to 9.5 eventually last night before I lay down again. I did eat more than I normally would for a hypo - my treatment is usually three jelly babies during the day and that's it (15g carbs), but as I was going back to sleep and I live alone I wanted to make sure. Plus, I was ravenous! So, I probably had about 40g carbs overall. 😱 Agree with you about 'a sandwich' - that's about 8/9 units for me and way too much for a hypo!

Hi Northerner. Take it easy today.

Hi Northerner. Take it easy today.

Thanks Lucy. I slept a little later than usual, and thankfully I don't have a 'hypo hangover' this morning 🙂 I'm pretty sure I know the reason for it - I have been out running for the past 3 out of 4 days and this has made me more insulin sensitive, so my lantus (basal) probably needs cutting down a unit.

Glad you managed it well. I have been off the scale before when meter reads 'LO', which is below 1.1mmol/l. But I don't have to reach for my own JB's or coke.

Rob

I wish i was waking up with them. I sleep right through these days and my poor husband has to force feed me sugar. Had another one this morning, my own fault.

Hope your feeling ok?

4 is way too many in 24 hours, some days are just like that. I think you need some cake 😉
xx

Glad you managed it well. I have been off the scale before when meter reads 'LO', which is below 1.1mmol/l. But I don't have to reach for my own JB's or coke.

Rob

I've never (knowingly!) had one below 1.7 - and I don't want one either! 😱

I wish i was waking up with them. I sleep right through these days and my poor husband has to force feed me sugar. Had another one this morning, my own fault.

Hope your feeling ok?

4 is way too many in 24 hours, some days are just like that. I think you need some cake 😉
xx

No more paramedics at the end ofthe bed, I hope! I do feel OK actually, which surprises me - expected a humdinger of a hypo hangover! It's all to do with the cumulative effect of stepping up my training for this year's Great South Run. I've been lowering my meal boluses (not enough, it seems!) and now it looks like the lantus needs lowering as well.

I've never (knowingly!) had one below 1.7 - and I don't want one either! 😱

No more paramedics at the end ofthe bed, I hope! I do feel OK actually, which surprises me - expected a humdinger of a hypo hangover! It's all to do with the cumulative effect of stepping up my training for this year's Great South Run. I've been lowering my meal boluses (not enough, it seems!) and now it looks like the lantus needs lowering as well.

Not any paramedics, just an annoyed husband haha. He was running around the house naked looking for glucose tablets, i wouldnt tell them where they where :D

I have been lowering my meals too but still had a hypo before and i had a jam dougnut after dinner, i was thinking id be stupid high, but 1.6. Crazy.

How many miles is the run?

x

Not any paramedics, just an annoyed husband haha. He was running around the house naked looking for glucose tablets, i wouldnt tell them where they where :D

I have been lowering my meals too but still had a hypo before and i had a jam dougnut after dinner, i was thinking id be stupid high, but 1.6. Crazy.

How many miles is the run?

x

Great South Run is 10 miles 😱 Three miles shorter than the Great North Run (probably too many Southern softies would be keeling over 😉)

Just had another hypo - 2.8. That follows the hypo I had earlier at 2.0, despite lowering my meal boluses again 😱 I'll be lowering my lantus tonight!

Me again! :( 3 am and woken again to 2.7 mmol/l. Getting a bit worrying this. Lowered my lantus, and this is over 8 hours since my last novorapid. I even had a slice of toast and jam before bed! Decided to get up for a bit to make sure my levels are up again before returning to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back