We're the tops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just like to say that I didn't personally think Irisdove was being aggressive or rude at all in her defence of Sharpe's views, so we shouldn't necessarily regard them as holding similar views, or at least of expressing those views in the same manner.

What a sad state of affairs this thread has turned into.

I found this forum in February and probably expected too much. There is plenty of emotional support here but limited knowledge, even from the Snr. members. I kept a back seat and just read posts as it seemed pointless to contribute. I feel I have to post in this thread and let my views be known.

What really surprised me on this forum was that dietary advice for Type 2's given by Wallycorker was hailed as the best way forward and on a par with Gretchen Becker. Type 2 control cannot be gained by all using Wallycorker's methods as it may work for him but not everyone else. We have different levels of insulin resistance, may have had diabetes up to 10 yrs. pre diagnosis, are different ages, may have multiple health problems that require dietitian's advice and may have different levels of exercise available to us. Other medications for other complaints also play havoc with control sometimes. We also have different reactions in our blood sugars when we eat certain foods. One size does not fit all and yet new members were being told to look at this marvellous plan. IMHO your meter is your best friend when it comes to control.

Other forums do offer emotional support as I can testify because I lurk around many hoping to gain more knowledge. Perhaps it is not as pronounced as here but there are plenty of diabetics willing to support others on all forums.

Sharpe put forward his views and was ridiculed and when he retaliated he was called a troll and banned. Iris and I may suffer the same fate but I hope not because a forum needs differing points of views and debate surely? If all members have the same reactions when there is conflict and banish the perceived threat then what is the point?

If the google search had been for diabetes forums and this one had been high on the list then I can understand the elation that followed.

What a sad state of affairs this thread has turned into.

I found this forum in February and probably expected too much. There is plenty of emotional support here but limited knowledge, even from the Snr. members. I kept a back seat and just read posts as it seemed pointless to contribute. I feel I have to post in this thread and let my views be known.

What really surprised me on this forum was that dietary advice for Type 2's given by Wallycorker was hailed as the best way forward and on a par with Gretchen Becker. Type 2 control cannot be gained by all using Wallycorker's methods as it may work for him but not everyone else. We have different levels of insulin resistance, may have had diabetes up to 10 yrs. pre diagnosis, are different ages, may have multiple health problems that require dietitian's advice and may have different levels of exercise available to us. Other medications for other complaints also play havoc with control sometimes. We also have different reactions in our blood sugars when we eat certain foods. One size does not fit all and yet new members were being told to look at this marvellous plan. IMHO your meter is your best friend when it comes to control.

Other forums do offer emotional support as I can testify because I lurk around many hoping to gain more knowledge. Perhaps it is not as pronounced as here but there are plenty of diabetics willing to support others on all forums.

Sharpe put forward his views and was ridiculed and when he retaliated he was called a troll and banned. Iris and I may suffer the same fate but I hope not because a forum needs differing points of views and debate surely? If all members have the same reactions when there is conflict and banish the perceived threat then what is the point?

If the google search had been for diabetes forums and this one had been high on the list then I can understand the elation that followed.

Just because someone is a senior member it does not mean they have more knowledge that senior status is to do with the amount of posts not your level of knowledge.You say they is not alot of knowledge i disagree alot of people that have come in here have gained more knowledge from fellow diabetics then they have there own careteam.

Last edited:
Yeah i agree lets close the thread it seems pointless to let it continue.

Just for what it's worth I do think this place is the mutt's nuts. I wouldn't have been able to make alot of the decisions I have regarding my pump and many other diabetes related things. I cannot find any other place that's better for the support or the advice that I have found here.

Hi Cherrypie, I'm sorry that you do not seem to be finding what you were hoping for here. Regarding Sharpe - the reason he was banned was because, whilst his initial posts here were not a problem, they gradually became more offensive and culminated in one which was deeply so both to individuals and the group as a whole. We saw no point in allowing a continuation of such abuse from someone who clearly had no interest in participating here, by his own admission.

Regarding Wallcorker's posts about his own methods: he has always made it clear that he is speaking of his own experience. If some feel he is too vocal in expressing them, then it is up to them to offer counter strategies so that people can judge for themselves.

Regarding seniority: I have been diagnosed Type 1 for less than two years. I have read a lot of books, done an OU course and read lots of discussions on lots of different forums, but in no way do I regard myself as an 'expert' on the subject of diabetes. All of the moderation team have various different experiences of diabetes, but none claim to be experts - that is not what moderation is about We all, however, recognise that people, whatever their problems, need emotional support and that is what we aim to provide here. We are all volunteers trying to do our best to help others.

Whatever people think about the statistics - and people seem to think I am trying to turn this into some kind of contest for world domination! - the fact remains that we have built very quickly into a place that has benefitted hundreds of people in a very positive way.

While wholeheartedly supporting this Forum and getting what I need from it, PLEASE let's close this thread now.😱

if sharpe was that concerned about our lack of knowledge why did he not start any threads to educate us ...:confused:

iris dove you havent either started any threads ??:confused:

Mods, can we close this thread? It seems to have drifted extremely off topic, and it seems sad to keep it going if it's generating a bad atmosphere. 🙂

I haven't closed it because it's obviously brought out a feeling amongst some members that we are not providing something that they find beneficial, and it's important that those views are shared. (Not if they are simply name-calling though). If people don't speak up, and at the same time hopefully offer some constructive ideas of how things may be developed, then we remain oblivious of those feelings. I'm still at a loss as to why anyone would be personally affronted by the way this forum has evolved, although it seems to be based on some idea that we are harming people by being friendly and supportive.

I'll close it tomorrow, in case anyone wants to add any final views.

iris dove you havent either started any threads ??:confused:
I make no pretence about being a very fact orientated diabetic. Sharpe and I could post lots of info on this forum but....

Would it be wanted?

Several members have commented on the fact that they would run a mile at fact based forum and this forum is very emotional based. Not a criticism BTW just an observation.

There are many subjects we could post on if you want us to, of course Sharpe would possibly have to be un-banned first.<G>

I make no pretence about being a very fact orientated diabetic. Sharpe and I could post lots of info on this forum but....

Would it be wanted?

Several members have commented on the fact that they would run a mile at fact based forum and this forum is very emotional based. Not a criticism BTW just an observation.

There are many subjects we could post on if you want us to, of course Sharpe would possibly have to be un-banned first.<G>

how could you tell if it was wanted if you havent tried? give us the facts thats fine...or links ..

Would it be wanted?

There are sections on the forum where information can be posted. How do we know what people have to offer if they don't participate. I welcome knowledgeable people, please participate so we can get to know you, and what you know 🙂

There are sections on the forum where information can be posted. How do we know what people have to offer if they don't participate. I welcome knowledgeable people, please participate so we can get to know you, and what you know 🙂

Can you tell me where these sections are, Northerner. They are not immediately obvious from the index page.

If you want information Sharpe was your best bet I think, I am sure he knows more than you can all cope with, now you will never know. Sad !

That is rather a sweeping generalisation and sounds like a line to wind people up.

Can I ask that we all reread this thread as I think some of the posts have been as a result of misunderstanding the motives of posters.

As for what site is TOPs it depends on how you wish to define TOPS.

You could have most visited, most supportive, most members, most active, prettiest - and for each definition you will get a different answer.

Similarly if there was a simple definition of best Football team - you are never going to get everyone to agree - as there will be different ways of looking at it.

OK, thread closed, I see we are not getting anything useful or positive from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back