We're the tops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been doing a bit of checking around other online diabetes forums and guess what? We're the tops! Although we don't come anywhere close to the membership numbers of some of the US forums, we are much more active. Our members participate much more, with more responses to each thread and more threads per member than any of the other leading forums. There are slightly more posts per thread for our doppelganger DSF UK, but they have half the membership and number of threads, plus they have been in existence far longer than us.

Why is this? I think is partly due to the format of our forum - less fragmented than most others, so everyone joins in the discussions regardless of type, or relationship to diabetes. From that, I think we have become a group that is far more appreciative of other people's take on diabetes and its challenges, and consequently more supportive as people, recognising that, whilst we may not share particular problems, we can still empathise and encourage and offer friendly advice.

Thanks to everyone who has made the forum such a success! :D

forumsstats.jpg

(note: I couldn't find the number of posts for tudiabetes, although their strength is as a broader social networking site for diabetics, rather than a forum)

DiabetesBB is interesting - it has a very large number of members, but relatively few posts. Why? Because they have no spam filtering or moderation!

Last edited:
Northey,
Thats great news!🙂
I think your being very modest though. If it werent for you and all the moderators I really dont think we would be so successful. I think this forum has a nice friendly feel to it and no-one is made to feel silly whatever the question. There have been a few who have tried to change the mood of things on here - but you have quickly made it clear that it wont be tolerated - and quite right too.

So - I say a big THANKYOU to all you moderators and of course to Kati, without whom, we wouldnt even have this place.🙂Bev

As a mod, one of the things I like best about this place is I rarely have to do any moderating, other than moving the odd misplaced thread that is. Of all the Diabetes fora I've looked at, this is by far the most inclusive. I love that it really doesn't matter what type of Diabetes we each have, everyone is very supportive regardless. This place is Ace.😎

This is a much more straight forward forum to use, it aint hard to navigate at all when your using and the layout is much better than the rest... I think i joined in december after looking around for some support in pregnancy... this was the easiest and most welcoming place though :D

Did you put all those stats together Northe? 🙂

Thats clever!

Its interesting news! x

The only downside is that I hate pink! :D

Seriously though, congratulations to all the moderators and everyone who contributes to this forum. You're a good bunch of people 🙂

Andy

Cooooooool ... Well Done everybody. Especially those who are "always there" - those who welcome newbies on their first post; those who provide reassurance quickly and easily; those who give positive feedback; those who aren't afraid to admit how difficult the whole damn disease is.

You've all improved my quality of life.

With my own fair hands Louisa 🙂 We missed you yesterday!

Thanks, but not possably as much as I missed being there! And the weather was so great too- Im very jelous 🙂

Thats a lot of maths northe! Did you use a calculator? Bev will be very impressed- she always is by maths! :D:D

Thanks, but not possably as much as I missed being there! And the weather was so great too- Im very jelous 🙂

Thats a lot of maths northe! Did you use a calculator? Bev will be very impressed- she always is by maths! :D:D

I used the power of Excel! The only good software Microsoft ever produced! 🙂

Thats really interesting. I have used or at least read most of those other forums and I have to say this is by far the best and most friendly forum around.

As forums go this is definately one of the friendliest ones I've had the pleasure of being a contributor. I know I haven't been here long, but there isn't any of the "mightier that thou" attiude that I see on a lot of other forums. This is a good thing. I used to run a forum so I know how hard it is to keep on top of things. This forum is a credit to the admin(s) and moderators that run it and all the members who make it worth visiting.

I've learnt so much just from reading threads on here! I wish this place was around when I was diagnosed might have escaped the denial phase a bit quicker than I did.

Big well done to all of you 🙂

I have used a couple of other forums, but I like this one best. One of the forums was not moderated atall and all kinds of spam posts fot in along with loads of uneccessary and false claims.

As a moderator I also have to moderate very little, move the odd thread, sometimes make a sticky and then unstick it at the appropriate time. Everyone is pretty good and there is loads of help and ideas for everyone from everyone no matter what their connection with diabetes is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back