Very high H1ac levels practical help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even a nut based granola will be higher carb. Weetabix & porridge are about as good as it gets when it comes to cereals. So the only real option if you must have them is to reduce the quantity & add lower carb fruit &/or nuts.
Tesco's web site gives the carb content of most things they sell for a quick check. Here's the porridge that I have & you can see that the total carbs (not just sugar) is 26g per portion. This is the same as Weetabix but it's worth experimenting to see if you maybe tolerate porridge better than you do Weetabix. Just avoid the flavoured stuff.
Er, no. My own favourite - Eat Natural Protein granola - 34.5 g per 100g. Their low sugar version is 33g. Weetabix is 69g

what about changing from a weetabix to a granola type cereal
Lizi's low sugar Granola is 45g carb per 100g, some shop own are similar so a portion of that would be less than 2 weetabix. All Bran is a lowish carb cereal. But having yoghurt. berries and a small portion of the granola would be a good choice.

Er, no. My own favourite - Eat Natural Protein granola - 34.5 g per 100g. Their low sugar version is 33g. Weetabix is 69g
Err, yes - for the vast majority of granolas on the supermarket shelves. Great that you've found one that isn't but very disingenuous to imply that all are lower.

Err, yes - for the vast majority of granolas on the supermarket shelves. Great that you've found one that isn't but very disingenuous to imply that all are lower.
I implied no such thing. I gave two examples of lower carb granolas of which I have experience. As an aside, a random selection of Tesco's offerings has not shown me one example that is higher than 69g per 100, but I must bow to your superior knowledge! From the OP's point of view, there are options out there and I'm sure they are as capable of reading labels as you or me.

all of your suggestions are very helpful to someone like me who is very badly informed and a bit confused. thank you

I'm sure they are as capable of reading labels as you or me.
Hopefully when they do, they'll have the good sense to look at carbs per portion & not be misled by carbs per 100g, as you have been...

Hopefully when they do, they'll have the good sense to look at carbs per portion & not be misled by carbs per 100g, as you have been...
My portion is 50g. 17.2g carb. 2 Weetabix, 25.8 g carb

@JJay and @RBZ5416 I think you may have a misunderstanding over the use of the term highlighted below
Even a nut based granola will be higher carb. Weetabix & porridge are about as good as it gets when it comes to cereals. So the only real option if you must have them is to reduce the quantity & add lower carb fruit &/or nuts.
I don't think it was meant in the context of granola being higher carb than Weetabix, but just that granola is also a high carb food..... although as you point out @JJay there are lower carb options if you know what to look for.

It seems to me that the OP is not clear about which foods are high carb and what to look for with food labelling and we all know it can be pretty confusing at first and difficult to find..... or read.... when you are not familiar with what to look for or you haven't purchased some ready readers to help with the blurry eyesight. 🙄

I used to buy the Eat Natural Protein or Low Sugar Granola and it is good but quite expensive and not sold in my regular supermarket. Now I just buy a normal nutty one (Lidl Luxury Nutty Granola since that is where I shop) and just have a tiny sprinkle on my yoghurt and berries and seeds to give it a bit more texture but not every day, generally,. It is a treat for when my levels are a bit lower on waking. If I am high, I just have the yoghurt seeds and berries.

Now I just buy a normal nutty one (Lidl Luxury Nutty Granola since that is where I shop) and just have a tiny sprinkle on my yoghurt and berries and seeds to give it a bit more texture
My wife makes her own granola and it's really tasty. Out of curiosity I checked out the carb content of each item in the recipe to see if it was something I might have. Turns out two teaspoons worth is roughly equivalent to my one Weetabix, but that didn't amount to much granola. However, you've given me an idea. I crush my Weetabix like an Oxo cube onto my Greek yogurt and berries, like you to give some texture (great minds, and all that?) so I might try that with the granola. Thanks for the tip.

@JJay and @RBZ5416 I think you may have a misunderstanding over the use of the term highlighted below

I don't think it was meant in the context of granola being higher carb than Weetabix, but just that granola is also a high carb food..... although as you point out @JJay there are lower carb options if you know what to look for.

It seems to me that the OP is not clear about which foods are high carb and what to look for with food labelling and we all know it can be pretty confusing at first and difficult to find..... or read.... when you are not familiar with what to look for or you haven't purchased some ready readers to help with the blurry eyesight. 🙄

I used to buy the Eat Natural Protein or Low Sugar Granola and it is good but quite expensive and not sold in my regular supermarket. Now I just buy a normal nutty one (Lidl Luxury Nutty Granola since that is where I shop) and just have a tiny sprinkle on my yoghurt and berries and seeds to give it a bit more texture but not every day, generally,. It is a treat for when my levels are a bit lower on waking. If I am high, I just have the yoghurt seeds and berries.
Very valid points. However, perhaps mistakenly, I read @RBZ5416's implication as the OP might just as well stick with Weetabix as switching to granola wouldn't offer any significant benefit "Weetabix & porridge are about as good as it gets". My intention was to point out that there are lower carb granolas out there.

As you so rightly say, the portion size of granola can be anything from a sprinkle to a bowlful, whereas Weetabix is more likely to be counted in biscuits (though @Martin.A has just proved me wrong on that one!)

Anyway, apologies @Berksps, for derailing the thread somewhat, and I hope you have been given some pointers by the very knowledgeable and experienced people on here. Labels and scales will be your best friends as you learn what's high carb and what's not - if you haven't already, get a copy of Carbs & Cals, as it may help you further to visualize your portion sizes

Portion size is important as you say but with cereals they can be very deceptive in just how much they weigh for what seems like a really small amount compared to what they show on the picture on the box.
I'm sure people get caught out unless they actually weigh their portion.
I buy Keto Hana granola which is only 9g per 100g but a bit pricy and mix 50/50 with Lizi's low sugar granola which ends up being 26g per 100g but still only have 20g on my yoghurt and berries.

bit of an update/refresh. i have been on a journey last 2 months from a very high HB1ac of 107. my next proper blood test is next week so we shall see. i have tried to be a lot more aware of carbs and being better to myself. i am also testing regularly so have an idea of what certain foods do to me. my latest readings at lunch were 7.7 before and 8.2 after.
i do know what seems to agree with me natural yoghurt with blue berries, chicken,avocado and lots of eggs. always up for suggestions to what people have found works for them especially breakfast which i struggle with.

Those are great readings for lunch considering your starting levels. Well done!

I think it depends how much time you have. Sometimes we are limited in our choices by custom. Breakfast is just another meal, so it can be steak and salad if you like or I quite like bacon and cabbage and mushrooms and onions and maybe throw in a bit of black pudding and an egg or two. Savoy cabbage is my absolute favourite and you can slice it finely and zap it in the microwave for 2-3 mins with a knob of butter and then chuck it in the pan with the mushrooms and onions and bacon to absorb the bacon fat.... Yummy! Omlettes are really easy and I always try to have them with a large salad and coleslaw.... usually cheese coleslaw.
I have had left over curry for breakfast the next day and that is one of my favourites which seems really weird, but don't knock it till you have tried it.
I made some chaffle wraps once and filled those with BLT which in this case was Black pudding, lettuce and tomato.... and mayonnaise.
There is a recipe for breakfast muffins her on the Diabetes UK website I believe which is usually eggs and cheese and any other veggies/ bits of meat/cheese beaten up and cooked in bun tins at the weekend and then eaten cold or zapped in the microwave for a few seconds if you want them hot. I imagine you can also make them with eggs and almond flour and a few berries and perhaps some sweetener.
I went through a phase of buying Nature Valley protein bars which are just under 10g carbs per bar and they are tasty and sweet and filling and make a convenient grab and go breakfast, but I try not to eat them now because they encourage me to eat more sweet things and they are an Ultra Processed Food and I am trying to eat cleaner, but something you could try and see what you think. I also found that if I bought a box of 4, I would not be content until they were gone so I suspect addictive.

Anyway, just some thoughts and suggestions.

I generally have Greek yoghurt with fruit for breakfast, or a protein shake.

had porridge today with blue berries seemed to be able to cope with that well. chicken salad for lunch.

i am looking for some advice on gliclazide. When i last visited the diabetic clinic they wanted information so i have been taking regular readings and spoke about trying gliclazide again maybe a lower dose and now i am embracing a better diet maybe more tolerable. 2 things i am concerned about 1 i have to notify the DVLA and 2 it might be a step towards insulin.

my overall impression i would be much better improving my diet further.

next weeks HB1ac will tell me if i am on the right lines.

generally my readings are between 7 and 9 currently.

Well done on your significant progress so far @Berksps

Try not to worry about one thing leading to another - it would only do that if the thing it led to was helpful. And at the right time for you. I think T1s have it easy in that respect. We don’t get ‘threatened‘ with insulin as if it represents some sort of failure - it is just the medication we need.

You are right at the beginning of your diabetes experience. Given that it has only been 2 months (and you started at quite a high level) your surgery will have been considering Glic to give you a helping hand. but from what you’ve said about your BG readings, you may well have significantly dropped your HbA1c when it is next checked - I suspect your GP or nurse will be quite surprised!

hi there all not posted for a bit. got my new HB1ac result for blood test done on Aug 11. as said previously i returned a very high 107 at my last check in early May. i have been having injections for macular deterioration and suddenly the link between high numbers and bad eyes hit home so for June and July i made a special effort to be good to myself. my new number is 66 so i am seeing improvements. i have tried to cut out white bread, definitely fizzy drinks,biscuits,too much chocolate,potatoes and eating lots of chicken/eggs/etc. probably lost another 6 pounds. my cholestrol i believe was 4. i havent been 100% good if i am honest but mostly. i have my next diabetic clinic sep 11 so will go armed with those results and a decent picture of daily fingerpricks which tend to be in range of 6.5 to 8.5 not 13 when i started.
so i wanted some advice 1) have i done ok 2) i am still worried about taking glicalizide 3) am i better following this routine to try and get my numbers down further and what number should be aiming for.
I will admit the exercise part hasnt been mega successful yet. i need to work on it.

Congratulations on a significant improvement and 66 is probably about where you want to be at this stage but gradually working towards getting it lower. Lowering it too quickly is not good for your eyes especially when it has been very high, so a mid reading of 66 now is really good but aiming to lower it further over the next 3 months down to about 48 would be your target I would think and if you can get it lower still with a bit of regular gentle exercise, that would be a bonus, but 48 is the diabetes diagnostic level so if you can get down to that you are doing really well, especially from a starting point in 3 figures and the risks of complications are minimal at that level. Hopefully then maintaining those lower levels will stop any further deterioration of your eyes.

Well done! It is a great result!

hi there all not posted for a bit. got my new HB1ac result for blood test done on Aug 11. as said previously i returned a very high 107 at my last check in early May. i have been having injections for macular deterioration and suddenly the link between high numbers and bad eyes hit home so for June and July i made a special effort to be good to myself. my new number is 66 so i am seeing improvements. i have tried to cut out white bread, definitely fizzy drinks,biscuits,too much chocolate,potatoes and eating lots of chicken/eggs/etc. probably lost another 6 pounds. my cholestrol i believe was 4. i havent been 100% good if i am honest but mostly. i have my next diabetic clinic sep 11 so will go armed with those results and a decent picture of daily fingerpricks which tend to be in range of 6.5 to 8.5 not 13 when i started.
so i wanted some advice 1) have i done ok 2) i am still worried about taking glicalizide 3) am i better following this routine to try and get my numbers down further and what number should be aiming for.
I will admit the exercise part hasnt been mega successful yet. i need to work on it.
You have done very well in the time since you started making changes and really it is better to bring the blood glucose levels down slowly especially as you already have issues with your eyes, you don't want to exacerbate that by being too hasty. None the less you have a bit of a way to go to get levels down to what would be considered a better level of below 48mmol/mol. Daily readings are certainly going in the right direction. Keeping doing what you are doing but maybe do a few before and after meal testing of any meals where you are still having any of the high carb foods just to see if you need to cut them out or reduce your portion or just have something else.
Discuss at your appointment but I would give it another 3 months to see if you need to try the gliclazide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back