Train Driving with type 1 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry you'll loose the train driving, but hope you can stay working for railways. I'm really pleased that my current job involves semi-regular (5 or 6 times per month) commuting a 12 minute train ride, using my bike for 3/4 mile at one end and 1.5 miles at other end, which is so much quicker, easier and more enjoyable than driving 20 miles each way. I don't need ticket office for these journeys, but prefer to use the advantage of ticket office staff knowledge for anything out of the ordinary eg holiday to north of Scotland last summer, with several stop-offs. So, hope you get some interesting journeys t oplan / sell tickets for!
However, I know what you mean about losing the thrill of the open track / road / sea etc. I lost the chance to drive minibuses & vans and thus continue working in ecotourism, lost chance to SCUBA dive professionally, lost chance to re-enlist in Territorial Army etc when diagnosed, and have had to change direction completely, but have managed to achieve ambitions in different ways eg couldn't work for British Antarctic Survey in Antarctica, but have worked at HQ and visited a couple of bases & a ship as a volunteer leader on a youth expedition to Chile, Falklands & South Georgia and carried out surveys with BAS collaborators.

srry to say but my experience with employers and diabetes is they are just plain ignorant of what it is ,
im a sand moulder to trade and for 2 years my doctor told me i had to tell my employer that i was diabetic because i worked with molten metals which is a rather dangerous job ,to cut a long story short when i told him i was diabetic and would need a position not involving molten metal, his reply was you've been a great servant to the company we will miss you,

srry to say but my experience with employers and diabetes is they are just plain ignorant of what it is ,
im a sand moulder to trade and for 2 years my doctor told me i had to tell my employer that i was diabetic because i worked with molten metals which is a rather dangerous job ,to cut a long story short when i told him i was diabetic and would need a position not involving molten metal, his reply was you've been a great servant to the company we will miss you,

That is illegal im sure

If you do tell an employer about diabetes, you must tell them how the condition affects you, not all the possible problems that might not affect you personally eg if Williammcd (type 2, but don't know his medication) did not have any hyopos, I can't see why he had to stop working with molten metal, but he if did have to stop that role, then his employer should have offered him alternative work in the same company, if an alternative was available and that he could do it. But if no suitable role existed, then redundancy might be the only option. Not sure how recently this happened, but the job situation is pretty dire for many people just now - not that people with diabetes should be any more or less affected than anyone else. Depending on how long ago it happened and how he feels about it, it might be worth Williammcd persuing an appeal?

Hi there thanks for the reply, yes its been a tough 12 months but as you say now i am getting the correct medication I hope things will improve.
Have spoken to union etc and apparenntly what i need to do is convince the company doctor that I can regonise hypos and well educated on diabetes etc and try and get the consultant that I pose no risk which I think is doubtful as we all know there is a always a risk of hypos, hence posting on this site to see if any fellow train or tube drivers where here.
And also to share my experience with others and learn from them also

Hi chestershepherd,
I'm a train driver on the Tube and also a Aslef union rep. I've been driving trains since diagnoses in 2000 whilst on tablets, however in 2004 I was put onto insulin (Lantus) and was restricted from driving duties and then put into 13 week redeployment with medical termination if a job could not be found. I challenged this with the help of Aslef solicitors (Thompsons) by starting with a appeal to Occupational health dept and subsequently the company grievance procedure. My intention was to eventually go to employment tribunal and challenge the blanket ban on train driving and insulin. I started getting some success with my grievance in that my employment was extended until my grievance could be completed & resolved. After 2 more years and getting close to that ET I contacted my diabetic consultant to bring him in as a expert witness. He however got me off the insulin and onto tablets and BYETTA injections and I therefore got my train drivers job Back.
I was hoping to win a test case for all train drivers.
Since then because of poor control I have started insulin again (last 2 weeks) and have been restricted from all train driving / safety critical duties. My company are still operating a blanket ban approach that I intend to challenge including the Courts if necessary.
If your still employed (or not) I may be able to help! The railway group standards have changed since my original problem and certainly were in place when you made your post and it is no longer acceptable to have a blanket ban! Follow this link for the standards http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_...nagement/Codes of Practice/GORC3561 Iss 3.pdf
Also you may find this old article interesting https://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/News_Landing_Page/2003/Network-Rail-lifts-blanket-ban/
If your still employed you should go through Aslef. You have 3 months from termination to file a Employment Tribunal.

Welcome Colin and many thanks for seeking out an old thread to post such relevant and clear information.
Blanket bans on people on insulin in any field of activity are a particular concern of mine too, although I haven't tried train driving, but have been prevented from rejoining armed forces, professionally driving minibuses and vans, professional SCUBA diving, working in Antarctica and on oil rigs and on ships.

colin,
do you have any info for track workers on LUL? i.e Protection masters etc
I am a track safety trainer soon to go on victoza and if it doesnt work insulin.
95% of my work is classroom based but holding all the certificates/licences and medical is really going to be restricted if i do on go insulin.
any info greatly appreciated.

hi colin good to hear there is someone else out there challenging the blanket bans.

I am doing the same for UK pilots with a group called Pilots with Diabetes www.flyingwithdiabetes.com if you want another professional witness I suggest you get in touch with Tim Hoy. A diabetic firefighter who challenged the ban and now helps others to do the same. I can put you in touch with him if you pm me.

Karl

Type 2-combination!

Hi

I am type 2 diabetes and taking metformin,Apidra and Lantus my sugar levels are very high despite using the combination.
Before breakfast it is around 8.7 and two hours after it rises to 17.7
What should I do to lower the levels?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum, Ted129.
Are you a train driver with type 1 diabetes? It sounds like you have type 2 diabetes. It might be better to post what sounds like a more general query in Newbies section.

I know this thread is quite old but just wanted to add some information.

I am a tube driver and was diagnosed with Type 1 a month ago. Well kinda 6 years but had lots of trouble with the diagnosis and only just had the gad test done recently which shows I am a t1 anyway different story.

I have been told I will be able to drive whilst using insulin but I have been removed from train driving duties for 3 months and during the time I have to prove I can control my diabetes without having any disabelitating hypos. I also have to run my bg around 7-8 so slightly higher than would be liked.

These changes are apparently quite new so I'm one of the first for my company who is going through this but it seems like a positive step forward.

Hope this helps type 1s or actually anyone on insulin there is no barrier when it comes to train driving if you can have good control.

I am a tube driver and was diagnosed with Type 1 a month ago. Well kinda 6 years but had lots of trouble with the diagnosis and only just had the gad test done recently which shows I am a t1 anyway different story.

I have been told I will be able to drive whilst using insulin but I have been removed from train driving duties for 3 months and during the time I have to prove I can control my diabetes without having any disabelitating hypos. I also have to run my bg around 7-8 so slightly higher than would be liked.

These changes are apparently quite new so I'm one of the first for my company who is going through this but it seems like a positive step forward.

Hope this helps type 1s or actually anyone on insulin there is no barrier when it comes to train driving if you can have good control.
Good news Saeybia! Welcome to the forum 🙂 If there is anything we can help with, do let us know 🙂

Hi saeybia - do you perchance belong to another diabetes forum? Like myself, with a different User Name?

Sounds like a very familiar story to me!! LOL

Hey Jenny

I haven't got a clue what your on about 😉😉😛

I remembered seeing the train stuff on here a while ago so thought I should add what is happening to me here as it helped me do some digging lol. I actually didn't realise my name was different on here as I login with my email lol

Daniel

Thanks for passing on the good news, saebiya / Daniel. Does the change apply to all train companies, or only London Underground?

Just out of curiousity, what line do you drive on? I work at TfL but was a driver on the H&C for 13 years!

What has happened is the railway medical guidelines have been updated and the insulin blanket ban has been lifted. People on insulin now have to be reviewed on a case by case basis and I believe it's all UK railways not just the underground.

Oh and I work on the central but have done a few others lol. Haven't done the H&C tho lol

What has happened is the railway medical guidelines have been updated and the insulin blanket ban has been lifted. People on insulin now have to be reviewed on a case by case basis and I believe it's all UK railways not just the underground.

Oh and I work on the central but have done a few others lol. Haven't done the H&C tho lol

I only ever drove the H&C, loved it. I know a couple of central line drivers. I now work at HSE, but Ive been on the underground for 18 years now.

I only hear bad things about the H&C lol. 18 years wow. I'm a baby 9 years lol.

Was HSE a choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back