The 'New on Pump' thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Adrienne,

So just to check - even the insulin comes from medtronic? How do they keep it cool for transport? Am i confused? So we just get the strips from the gp then?😱Bev

Thanks Adrienne,

So just to check - even the insulin comes from medtronic? How do they keep it cool for transport? Am i confused? So we just get the strips from the gp then?😱Bev

Insulin will still come from the GP,

Only anything to do with the pump itself, not the medication at all in this instance insulin. That is still on script from doctors.

Hi Patricia and everyone,

How are you and E? Sorry I havent been about to chat last couple of days, since getting the pump on wednesday I have worked non-stop, but I have just sat down and read a few pages of the thread to catch up, I love it! I think you doubt yourself a bit though- just to clarify, I love this thread!

Im so pleased to hear the E got off to France in the end ok. It must have been awful waiting for that evening text at 11.30pm! Woman, you have definately shown the restrain! And it isnt easy in this heat to work out insulin so precisely either is it? Im am struggling a little myself. Its so good to hear how you manage this as a family though. Its nice that E's dad is also confident to advise too. I simply cant get my head around these small increments at the moment, its a little too early for me, so I am abit wowed that you all know your stuff so well!

Patricia, may I ask....does E use the sensors? or are you using the contour BG machine and bluetoothing? I have been given the contour, I shall be opening the packet this afternoon and swatting up.

Hope you and the family are having a lovely sunny relaxing weekend x

Hi Sugarbum et al

Great to hear from you. All's well this end. E returned on the floor with exhaustion, but at 8mmols! Stayed on temp basal last night, a hypo last thing (mash through too quickly, we now wonder?), woke on 11. Now switched to our weekend pattern with the addition of some lowered basal rates for the heat, and levels are good, 5-7mmols.

The french trip from his perspective is another story, really, will tell soon. He didn't send us all the info -- not to do with his management, but to do with how the teachers did or didn't look after him. We were a bit let down. He did so well though, and throughout, his numbers were really pretty decent, with the busiest day unsurprisingly being the most variable, swinging from 12 to hypos (3 of them, eek). But he managed. When I heard the lack of support he'd had to endure, well... No one reminded him about anything. He did it all himself. One teacher (not the one we'd primed!!!) checked in with him at meals, and to her credit, also reminded him about testing when swimming, actually bringing the kit to him, which was very nice. BUT the teacher he'd set out to depend on said *not one word* to him about diabetes, nor did he enquire about how he was generally. I was FUMING. Still am. And he is also cross.

ANYWAY. All that aside, I think he is now seeing that he did it, that all is well, and that he is quite capable of working his way through most situations. He said that he kept the messiest suitcase by far, but that his bedside was most organised: testing kit, glucose, juice, mobile phone -- all right there. Good boy! We can forgive him the complete chaos he's arrived home with -- lancets everywhere, rubbish just all over his stuff...oh well. Teenagers!

And frankly, he is entitled to a bit of disorgansition, when in so much he has to be organised...

To answer your question Sugarbum, we have not yet progressed to senors or using Contour meter. He likes Optium exceed at the moment, and doesn't find putting the bgl in any great hardship, just one more step, he says.

We will be getting a sensor, though; it has come as part of the PCT package, though we have yet to physically get it. One thing at a time. He wants it, though we are a *little* fearful of him feeling just 'medicalised' out...It'll ultimately be his decision though. He's a gadgety person, and it may help him feel safe in all kinds of situations. He's confident, but likes control (hmm, wonder where he gets that from?).

The small increments will become clear once you start on the insulin, I'm sure. It's just a different system, and each person is sensitive in different ways. E responds to 0.05 of a unit -- others work on units at a time.

Also, once you start with a baseline, it becomes much easier to imagine how to work it. I really thought I was simply *not* going to get it, from the outside. But actually, it makes a logical sense. It's a closed system, not endlessly variable and strange -- much like MDI in that way, but just hugely more flexible and immediately able to be adjusted.

E's dad not only has confidence, he has more than I do. From the beginning we have been in this together, and his understanding of the systems has always outstripped mine. We have different strengths when it comes to dealing with diabetes -- but the truth is, E has utter trust in his father, who brings all of his formidable intelligence and evenness of spirit to the management of it all. I'm much more reactionary, and liable to be overwhelmed. I'm also more instinctive, which has at times also been very useful in the management of E's diabetes -- not just with the pump.

We are lucky. We complement each other. And his sister, despite being younger, also understands much. We try our best to make loads of room and special time for her too. When the boys were gone, she and I shopped and got manicures for the first time ever (like your pedicure Mand! How are you?)! Then lay in the sun. Had a pizza. 'No carb counting', she said. A nine year old. Times like that are important....

Anyway. I digress. Let me know how you find the Contour, whether it's worth it?

Hi Patricia,

The Contour came free witht he pump so please dont pay for it if you do go down that route! I would imagine your DSN will order you one if she has none in stock.

As I put on my thread, the Contour sounds like a name for sanitary wear. Puts me right off. And its got tons of info in I wasnt up to reading it let alone getting on with it- Ive had instructional overload! So will let you know when I finally do crack it...its back in the box unfortunately today just wasnt the day! I may well follow in E's example, I dont think once I get to grips with the wizzard I will mind keying in my sugar levels, we will see.

I have been bolusing the saline so much playing about, chances are I might not have enough till sunday :# uh-oh :(

Hi Sugarbum

Yes, we got a Contour for free, but like I say, not using it at the moment. What is also coming at some point is the sensor -- not got there yet either!

Yes, we ran out of saline before we got there, so it beeped in a cute way all the way to the hospital! (He now keeps it on vibrate, by the way.)

btw, we really *only* use the bolus wizard, not the 'easy bolus'. Advised against the latter for his age group because it involves eying food, then 'counting in' number of beeps, one for each unit, then counting them back as delivered. Apparently good for 'busy folk' who know carb counting and their own bodies/levels well. For us still has too much room for error though.

Levels all going well this end. Incredibly stable night: 5.3 so had a frube (5g carb), at 6.3 at 2am, then woke to 5.7 (45 mins after waking, so was prob a bit higher when woke). AND he had a lie-in to 9am. The weekend pattern now seems like it too is getting sorted. Yay!

Hi Patricia

Firstly, I want to apologise for not sending you a pm to let you know that i going on holiday. I did do a thread to tell everyone but having just checked it i noticed there is no post from you on it and suspect that you did not see it and now worried in case you thought i had just up and left or something. Sorry Patricia. I should have thought more.

Anyway, i have caught up with your thread and gosh! you certainly had some experiences! So glad that E's trip went well. I can imagine the anxiety you have been through but it sounds like all went well but disappointing re lack of teacher support! Makes me feel very angry! Will you speak to the school about this issue?

What a night you had when the pump fell down the radiator! Gosh! My son's bed is next to the radiator and i can just imagine a similar thing happening to him! At least i am now forewarned after reading your experience!

Sorry to read that things got a bit unstable for a while, despite the fact that you were as conciencous as ever but glad to hear things settling down again for you.

You mentioned something in your posts about boring us. Can i just tell you that i find your posts so interesting. I have learnt so much from you already. I cannot express enough how unboring they are! I thank you so much for taking the time to write them. You are one special lady! 🙂

My son starts pumping Tuesday at 9.30am. It will be the real thing as he has already done a saline trial. Gulp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our holiday went very well! (See my thread 'returned from holiday').

Glad you and your daughter had a girly pamper time! Fab, isn't it! My pedicure survived the holiday and my feet still look good. Good for you! You certainly deserved it!

Look forward to your next post! 🙂🙂

Oh I forgot to say that my copy of 'pumping insulin' arrived the day before our hol so i plan to start reading it tonight. 🙂🙂

Hello Mand et al

No worries! I obviously missed the hol thread, which is a shame. Sometimes I go for a couple of days without checking properly here, just do my bit, and that's when I miss things (eg the whole ruckus over on low/no carbers! Ack.). So sorry! But it's not your fault! I'm glad you had a great time -- will check it all out.

Am so excited for you for Tuesday -- it will be GOOD. Nervewracking, yes, but a good thing. I really do think you will find it kind of amazing...Will you make sure to let everyone know? Will you run another thread? Between us all, a whole picture can be made! Can't wait...

Three nights of sleep later and E is nearly human. His distress with his teacher faded somewhat, but then re-emerged last night with some conviction: he wants the teacher to know how let down he feels. From our point of view, yes, E managed, but it affected his enjoyment a bit (because he was cross), left him almost completely unsupported (so he may have felt more alone than necessary) -- and ultimately, the chap failed somewhat in duty of care (which is a general concern for the school). He did not do the only two things we requested of him: check E's bedtime level, and keep an eye on him while swimming. In fact, the teacher did not mention A WORD or check in with e ONCE in the whole trip!

Day to day, the school has handled things well and with a good balance of involvement and hands-off... We will write a diplomatic letter of concern about both points of view: E felt let down; and we now feel a little concerned that this event may be symptomatic of a too-widespread lack of seriousness around t1 diabetes at the school. We know that there are 3 boys there now with t1. Chances are in a secondary school that everything will always be well, esp with things as they are now. However, our main concern is that teachers need to be aware of what might *not* go well, and what that means. That's all. E reports that the majority of his teachers seem to understand and approach things well, checking in quietly with him, catching his eye after he tests, etc... But I think we need to raise the flag a little about this being standard practice.

AND of course the next school trip will find us being more assertive. Ahem.

Meanwhile levels doing a little weirdness late yesterday -- we suspect all down to the basal rate being lowered early last week for heat and preparing for France. So despite a tiny correction last night, he still woke on 11mmols. We will keep him on these rates and ratios today and see how many corrections etc he has to do in order to figure out where to go next. We knew last week we'd have to put it all up again -- but it was worth it for the safety in France!

Enjoy the book! And let us know about tomorrow! It will all become clearer and clearer, faster than you realise is possible...

Patricia,
How awful that the school let E down in such important circumstances.
I dont understand how a teacher would let down a student quite so drastically! He obviously knew E was new to pumping and all that that entails, even if he just asked E if he was ok a few times - that would have been something!
No wonder E felt so let down by the teacher, it borders on neglect. It is a good job E is so sensible and calm about his diabetes and this i am sure is what helped him get through the holiday. But it is not good enough, and i would definately raise awareness with the school. What would worry me is that if the teacher hadnt bothered to ask E what his night time levels were - how would he have known whether there was a problem or not? So even if he had asked him and his level was low - would he have realised that E needed a snack or even hypo treatment? I hope you get to the bottom of what happened and make sure the school learn a lesson.🙂Bev

I agree completely Bev; it sort of mystifies, doesn't it? We will certainly register our thoughts etc..but it's always difficult: very important that diabetes doesn't become the sole identifying characteristic of E's time in school, or that *too* much turns around that. So we will go diplomatically... You do wonder though just how a teacher could be so irresponsible; he's a young guy, but still...E thought he could trust him, specifically said he'd be best of the group going, etc...Clearly the guy either can't take or isn't used to taking responsibility of this sort -- in which case we should have known that. We met with him!

The teacher *didn't* ask nighttime levels! E sent them to us. So no one around him knew what level he was on -- although we had specifically requested in the meeting that if his levels were too low, E be woken in the night to test...Fortunately this didn't happen, but argh!

Hi Patricia

Do let us know the outcome with the school after you have contacted them about what happened. I really do think they let you and E down. My son going on an overnight trip to France next week, only a week after having pump fitted. His nurse thinks it will be ok to do. Gulp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But he only going midnight one day to midnight the next day.

Thanks for your well wishes for tomorrow! My stomach has butterflies at moment. We to give half his levemir tonight and then will be connected tomorrow at 9.30am.

Yes, i will start a thread like you and sugarbum have done then we can all compare.

Thanks to your thread and the support from the people on this forum, i feel pretty well geared up for tomorrow. 🙂🙂🙂

ps how often does E change his cannula?

It will all be good, Mand, all be good. Hang in there. You will be amazed.

We change sets every 3 1/2 days. Supposed to be every three, but we *knew* our lives would find that difficult -- the days of the week wouldn't repeat until 3 weeks in or something -- too much for us! We are too fraught and busy generally. We were cleared to extend time a little because E tests so regularly, and any pump failure would be picked up quickly....

3.5 days is great! I hope my son can do something similar. He managed 3 days when on trial so hopefully will be ok. I say this as i had orginally thought it could only be 2 days so another day or more is an added bonus.

No, the trip not good timing! I forsee many sleepless nights ahead for me! Think i need to book another pedicure or similar as a pick me up! Hehe! :D

Hope all ok with you, E and your family. x

Hi

They recommended change of set is two days. Most people I know manage 3 days. If we go for longer than 3 then my daughter (J - Patricia has an E and so I have a J, makes things so much easier than typing my daughter) gets a sore spot at the site entrance.

A few people can only last the 2 days though and a few others I've known to go 4 or 5. It is entirely up to the individual. I can do set change in less than 5 minutes from start to finish so we do it before school, after school, before bed etc etc. You will get so good at it, that the actual sticking it in and get the needle out will be done all in 2 seconds.

Hiya

Mand, all best for today! Thinking of you.

Interesting night last night. One way of putting it...

E 'rode high' all day yesterday -- typical of pump, very regularly so! 10,11 all day. So we thought, hm, need to up the basal. Had been lowered for France. Decided to wait through night for whole 24 hours of figures from which to adjust.

He had dropped to 7 by dinner -- but dinner was late and he hadn't had snack since lunch. But at 9.30 was 11mmols. Hm. 10.30 was 16mmols! All hands on deck. Gave full correction of 2 something units, set alarm for 12.30am. At 12.30 was only down to 15mmols. Poo poo! Did pump self test, all fine. Immediate thoughts though were that it was time for set change and correction injection, etc... Should have been much lower....E full of resistance of course, wanting to sleep.

So we phoned DSN. Yes, at 1am we phoned DSN. She was, to her credit, completely laid back. Took on the figures, said NOT to change set/inject yet because if pump were failing numbers would be MUCH higher. Suggested to wizard bgl and if correction under 2units, override to give two units. Also to set temp basal to 125% all night. And to test at 3am if we could.

Which of course we could. Suggested correction was 2.4 units. We gave whole thing. Set temp basal to 125%.

Took ages to go back to sleep.

At 3am, both got up (again!) to check: down to 11mmols. She was right! This morning, temp basal had brought him down to 7.5mmols.

Phoned lovely DSN again at 7am this morning to see what to do for the day: her suggestion was to leave on 125% basal, and turn off if starts to 'ride low'. Then we can see whether E is brewing something and therefore we just need to ride this out -- or whether, like happened in April, this is a sudden growth spurt and it's an all-change situation.

Whatever the case, we LOVE the pump. The ability to adjust and react so quickly to high numbers is amazing and reassuring. Yes, it's all a steep learning curve but now we know things:

1) numbers will climb fast and high if pump fails
2) pump doesn't seem to 'part fail' -- it's more of an all or nothing situation
3) setting a temp basal is every bit as levelling as the 'normal' level basal. It's a slow, gentle thing that is unlikely to 'plunge' him -- which is what used to happen with any kind of attempt to correct by injection.
4) any downward movement in bgl when riding high shows that using the pump is worth pursuing.

So...Never mind that we are like wet rags once again today. He's well, though rather shattered. We'll see at the end of the day how things have gone, and decide from there whether to adjust the pattern permanently, or whether he's fighting a bug...

Adrienne -- I did think of your post a week or so ago, about J going high and you wrestling her down through the night. This helped me, as part of why we held back a little from doing an immediate set change was my memory that you hadn't, so maybe it's not necessary...Thanks!

For now!

I'm just going to take a moment to sing the praises of our DSN. We think she is better than sliced bread, and deserves some kind of medal. We have an appointment at clinic this week: what do you think? A mug of some sort? Could find a good one...Also want to get something for the dietician, who has been at the end of an email for us, esp getting E through France, constantly. Feel very lucky, and like these folks need acknowledging.

My goodness, what a night! Terrific that you managed to get things under control - and indeed that you were able to thanks to the pump's flexibility! As you say, id I adjusted my lantus it would take about 2-3 DAYS before I could be sure of the difference it had made!

And big, big respect to your DSN for being such a wonderful, and very professional, caring person!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back