Testing Strips & Meters For Type 2s...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate that this discussion has come to a natural end - but as promised to @Vince_UK I have a response from our Policy Team:

We’re fighting to make sure everyone with diabetes gets the test strips they need to manage their condition well. We’ve constantly reminded national governments and NHS managers that access to test strips should be based on each person’s need.

We’ve also raised the issue of test strip restrictions at the All Party Parliamentary Group for Diabetes, which we help support. The group’s report, to be published soon, is likely to outline the issues with restrictions and their impact on people with diabetes.

Thanks to people with diabetes taking part in our test strips survey we’ve been able show just how many people are affected by restrictions and the effect it has on their lives.

You can also raise local issues of restrictions by taking our local action
https://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1967&ea.campaign.id=67094&ea.tracking.id=web

As I mentioned before, there is also some information on the Testing Times page of the website which explains where the campaign is. See the ‘Challenging the Restrictions’ part: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/test-strip-campaigning

Thanks
Thanks Hannah.
I have firmly arrived at the conclusion based on my own short-term experiences and the benefts I have gained from testing that monitoring BG levels is an essential part of diabetes management. I also accept that many people find the ongoing costs of strips prohibitive. The costs of meters and strips quick frankly shocked me and jolted me into a realisation that these are not inexpensive items..
I have grasped the simple fact that diabetes, and in particular T2 perhaps doesn't get the exposure in the public domain it should get. That is not a criticism, just my observation and the lethargic attitude and apparent belief by people in general that is not serious, could never happen to me and it is your own fault. To me that is a narrow minded perspective and lack of education as to how Diabetes develops. I, for one until I deveoped it, paid zero attention to the risks and had the "not me" philpsophy.
I am now acutely aware that complication from diabetes can present a significant drain on our already over stretched NHS service. I have no idea what the costs could be, but is can only be high. Allowing people with T2 to acquire meters and strips, maintain and monitor their BG levels thus avoiding the need for costly in patient treatments or carers etc. then it should be rigourously pursued and lobbied for at the highest level. It has to be the more cost effective alternative.

Last edited:
Thanks Hannah.
I have firmly arrived at the conclusion based on my own short-term experiences and the benefts I have gained from testing that monitoring BG levels is an essential part of diabetes management. I also accept that many people find the ongoing costs of strips prohibitive. The costs of meters and strips quick frankly shocked me and jolted me into a realisation that these are not inexpensive items..
I have grasped the simple fact that diabetes, and in particular T2 perhaps doesn't get the exposure in the public domain it should get. That is not a criticism, just my observation and the lethargic attitude and apparent belief by people in general that is not serious, could never happen to me and it is your own fault. To me that is a narrow minded perspective and lack of education as to how Diabetes develops. I, for one until I deveoped it, paid zero attention to thhe risks and had the "not me" philpsophy.
I also
I am now acutely aware that complication from diabetes can present a significant drain on our already over stretched NHS service. I have no idea what the costs could be, but is can only be high. Allowing people with T2 to acquire meters and strips, maintain and monitor their BG levels thus avoiding the need for costly in patient treatments or carers etc. then it should be rigourously purused and lobbied for at the highest level. It has to be the more cost effective alternative.
Fag packet math, this probably a massive underestimation
Cost of amputee/blind person on benefits = around £1000 per month, then loss of earns from same person and your maybe looking toward an average £2-3k now .
Cost so far per month £3.5k.
Then cost of op itself around 20k for an average amupation
verses £20-50 per month in test strips
cost per year for £50 strips = £600
5 years = £6000
It's a pretty bad arguement by nice et-al that strips cost too much.

Fag packet math, this probably a massive underestimation
Cost of amputee/blind person on benefits = around £1000 per month, then loss of earns from same person and your maybe looking toward an average £2-3k now .
Cost so far per month £3.5k.
Then cost of op itself around 20k for an average amupation
verses £20-50 per month in test strips
cost per year for £50 strips = £600
5 years = £6000
It's a pretty bad arguement by nice et-al that strips cost too much.
Logical assessment palmoff I think. It really needs bringing out into the open and not pussy footing around a subject which for many is a serious issue.

I don't understand any of the above conversations, I'm type 2 and I didn't have a problem getting a meter and stripes etc on repeat prescription from the practise nurse at my surgery. The diabetic clinic say they don't advise type 2 testing. Why don't they? I would have thought it is essential to keep an eye on your reading. My readings range are between 6.5 to 10.3. When it's at its highest I know that I need to take action. Your comments would be appreciated .

Keep up the good work, we need to sort this ridiculous regulation out. Our health and wellbeing is on the line. Available blood strips for regular control makes far more sense economically, it is obvious that the alternative is very expensive,worrying and serious - health complications accrued. It's Insane. I'll get thinking of how I can put pen to paper regarding the matter.
Thanks Shoran...there is no guarantee it will work...however it may...we do need to address it...than you for your input...it all helps...if this gets the right attention...who knows...others may feel encouraged to join in...that would be great...have a good weekend.

Keep up the good work, we need to sort this ridiculous regulation out. Our health and wellbeing is on the line. Available blood strips for regular control makes far more sense economically, it is obvious that the alternative is very expensive,worrying and serious - health complications accrued. It's Insane. I'll get thinking of how I can put pen to paper regarding the matter.
I couldn't agree more. Very well said. However, I can't understand why DUK doesn't organise a lobbying campaign on this issue. It would work like this...

MPs want to keep their jobs so like to quell any unrest in their own constituencies. DUK could ask all members to write to their MP raising this issue and asking what they plan to do about it. At the same time they could write a 'letter to the editor' of their local paper whenever a diabetes related story is reported...or tag it on to a story about NHS funding/other cuts etc. This would raise the issue in a more public arena and is likely to provoke a flurry of responses. Newspapers like this sort of activity because is has local interest and fills column inches. MPs hate it because it represents unrest in their constituency and makes them look inept. Come on DUK...this forum is full of articulate, intelligent individuals who are willing and able to 'have a go'. Harness that resource and let's tackle this issue head on.

I couldn't agree more. Very well said. However, I can't understand why DUK doesn't organise a lobbying campaign on this issue. It would work like this...

MPs want to keep their jobs so like to quell any unrest in their own constituencies. DUK could ask all members to write to their MP raising this issue and asking what they plan to do about it. At the same time they could write a 'letter to the editor' of their local paper whenever a diabetes related story is reported...or tag it on to a story about NHS funding/other cuts etc. This would raise the issue in a more public arena and is likely to provoke a flurry of responses. Newspapers like this sort of activity because is has local interest and fills column inches. MPs hate it because it represents unrest in their constituency and makes them look inept. Come on DUK...this forum is full of articulate, intelligent individuals who are willing and able to 'have a go'. Harness that resource and let's tackle this issue head on.
Excellent Mars perhaps we could even start out own lobbying group comprised of members who want to be involved in a practical way.

Hi Margaret Wilson, new member, it was interesting to hear of problem with meters. I decided to bypass my nurse she had always refused. Doc asked me to give reasons why I should be given one. I argued my case, as you have given above, that I wanted to be in charge and how afraid I was that I did not know what was happening to my body reg. Bgs (may I say I was told that I would have to go on insulin as I was DX after gallstone pancreatitis) I wanted to delay this if I could!!!!! I am not sure if I will eventually need to go on insulin but I wanted the chance to be in control and to know what was happening with my diet. I did find the. Lchf made a big difference to my bgs something I would not have known!!! My doc agreed but only gave me the meter and strips because he said I would be going on insulin anyway so therefore I will need to get used to using a meter. Hope this all makes sense,but I feel this issue is very important to all diabetics, even although I am very new to all of this. Thanks for listening.
Hi Margaret...enjoyed reading this post...well done for arguing your case with your GP...exactly what we all should be doing...obviously we need to take advice on medications from our doctors...but the fatalistic attitude...you will progress to insulin is so disappointing...like many others here I want to avoid that course if I can...it is possible if we achieve good management...can control our diabetes...some may have no choice...but...if we do have an opportunity...a chance to prevent our conditions from progressing...why on earth shouldn't we be able to aim for that...absolutely right this is important to all diabetics...Margaret...why not introduce yourself on the 'newbies ' thread...I'm sure you'll receive a warm welcome...there is also a waking numbers thread...very social in the mornings...banter...advice...and more...thank you so much for your valuable input...it makes absolute sense to me...and many of our other members...hope to hear more from you soon...have a good weekend.

WOW MBT...almost spilt my coffee there...right to the point...well argued...common sense...yes DUK...why not?

Thanks Hannah.
I have grasped the simple fact that diabetes, and in particular T2 perhaps doesn't get the exposure in the public domain it should get. That is not a criticism, just my observation and the lethargic attitude and apparent belief by people in general that is not serious, could never happen to me and it is your own fault. To me that is a narrow minded perspective and lack of education as to how Diabetes develops. I, for one until I deveoped it, paid zero attention to the risks and had the "not me" philpsophy.
I am now acutely aware that complication from diabetes can present a significant drain on our already over stretched NHS service. I have no idea what the costs could be, but is can only be high. Allowing people with T2 to acquire meters and strips, maintain and monitor their BG levels thus avoiding the need for costly in patient treatments or carers etc. then it should be rigourously pursued and lobbied for at the highest level. It has to be the more cost effective alternative.
Vince...most of us here are singing from the same song sheet...agree unequivocally...this issue needs more attention...more understanding...more inclusion...it seems to me that so much energy...time...resources...money is spent on making excuses for denying what is economic sense...we have said it so many times...we need to be included in the diabetes equation...listened to...have some meaningful as you say 'rigorous' attention...thank you.

Excellent Mars perhaps we could even start out own lobbying group comprised of members who want to be involved in a practical way.
That may be the only way forward Vince, because the DUK input on this thread has attempted to wrap up any discussion by suggesting that it has come to a "natural end". Subsequent posts would seem to prove otherwise.

Just and Idea to throw around picking from what Mars said.
We could start an online petition, Publicise the issue, social media, news etc to the general public. Ask fellow diabetics to get involved and force a debate in the H of C if we get enough signatures. I am not sure what the criteria is as I am blocked here from and UK Gov website etc but I am sure with some brainstorming we could develop an action plan. Get local MP's involved and press as Mars states. Just a thought.

That may be the only way forward Vince, because the DUK input on this thread has attempted to wrap up any discussion by suggesting that it has come to a 'natural end'. Subsequent posts would seem to prove otherwise.
Yes Mars. That comment more than irritated me to be honest.

My Father used to say "If the mountain will not come to you then you need to go to the mountain". Words that that effect

I don't understand any of the above conversations, I'm type 2 and I didn't have a problem getting a meter and stripes etc on repeat prescription from the practise nurse at my surgery. The diabetic clinic say they don't advise type 2 testing. Why don't they? I would have thought it is essential to keep an eye on your reading. My readings range are between 6.5 to 10.3. When it's at its highest I know that I need to take action. Your comments would be appreciated .
It seems to be a bit of a lottery 2Bornot2B...some more enlightened GPs & nurses prescribe a meter & testing strips...the vast majority do not...simple economics...its the cost of providing the strips...nothing more than that...the economics of this short sighted measure do not make sense...as you say it is essential to keep an eye on our conditions...take action...the only effective way to do that is to test (SMBG)...the Clinical Commissioning Groups that set the budgets for our surgeries direct GPs & nurses not to provide testing strips...often their hands are tied...hence the majority are refused...I was...although my GP was willing to prescribe testing strips...the local CCG were against it...I challenged that...was successful...now I am trying to encourage others to do that...the refusals are arbitrary...no validity to them...if we can manage our diabetes well...avoid complications...keep ourselves as well as possible ...surely that is beneficial for all...economically...socially...thank you so much for your comments...hoping this matter will receive the attention it deserves finally.

That may be the only way forward Vince, because the DUK input on this thread has attempted to wrap up any discussion by suggesting that it has come to a "natural end". Subsequent posts would seem to prove otherwise.
Good to see new members come into this MBT...other members I haven't met before...seems to be a groundswell of opinion gathering...who knows...perhaps this matter will gain some real impetus as last.

Just and Idea to throw around picking from what Mars said.
We could start an online petition, Publicise the issue, social media, news etc to the general public. Ask fellow diabetics to get involved and force a debate in the H of C if we get enough signatures. I am not sure what the criteria is as I am blocked here from and UK Gov website etc but I am sure with some brainstorming we could develop an action plan. Get local MP's involved and press as Mars states. Just a thought.
DUK should take the lead on this Vince...no reason why they can't.

For me it is really rather simple.
September 28th diagnosed, BG Level 7.8 , weight 98 kilos
October 21st BG levels constant between 4 and 5, weight 91 kilos.
This maintenance of and reduction in my BG levels could not have been achieved without testng
Very simple statement of fact and I defy anyone to dispute that.
I feel I am living proof that testing works and is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back