Testing Strips & Meters For Type 2s...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I do not understand, if you posted it, it would show on search engines too. Nevermind, I too will not ask again.
Greymouser...my offer was made to registered forum members...some may need help adapting the letter...moreover since it contains a lot of personal information I do not want it published on the internet... I have decided to supply it on request to members here..without any control over who has access to it...I have no wish to be subjected the kind of adverse attention type 2s regularly receive from tabloid journalism...trolls... others who may use the opportunity for negative purposes.

Bubbsie obviously up to you what you do with your letter but I am confused. Surely the more people that see/use the letter, whether or not they are registered members, then the more diabetics that could benefit from getting testing strips and the more that GPs would recognise the benefits of testing.I thought that was what was wanted?

Just a few observations from me, a type 2 diet controlled member who tests as many times as Bubbsie per day (with very good effect in terms of demonstrable diabetic management) and who receives testing strips without question from my GP. I do accept however that I have other serious health conditions which may make the surgery more amenable to me because infection and diabetic control is inextricably linked. This issue applies to many of our members too which is why the fight needs to start individually with the GP surgery and CCG. I’ve read the guidelines and it doesn’t say that testing strips shouldn’t ever be provided simply that it shouldn’t be routinely done. So there’s room for manoeuvre.

I applaude Bubbsie’s passion for this issue because I suspect she’s fighting the tide on this. I can appreciate why she wouldn’t want to post her ‘challenge letter’ on here for strategic reasons as MBT has said. Stock letters lose their potency. Her offer is to help members affected on an individual basis and this seems to align with the views from DUK here that each case should be fought on its merit.
However, in terms of the greater fight, I’d also like to see DUK taking much less of a resigned, accepting position on this and finding a way to use the membership to demonstrate success in self monitoring. This site is full of spectacular successes which could form the basis for evidence and positive action.

I’m not unfamiliar with what seem like ‘unwinnable’ fights for medication and treatment with NICE. I’ve been involved in the political fight for Ibrutinib, a leukaemia drug denied initially to people like me. I also accept that they are evidence based but there seems little activity around presently to provide the evidence needed in this particular cause. That’s where campaigning organisations play a pivotal role.

By managing my diabetes successfully at home with very little clinical input, I save the surgery time, the cost of medication, the expense of dealing with complications and hopefully, avoid being a casualty and massive drain on the NHS of being yet another type 2 who was denied the opportunity to play a part in their own care. The present denial of home testing equipment (for those who want to do it), is paternalistic twaddle and NICE are simply hiding behind inadequate and outdated research. Pro-active and preventative measures are needed to stop the immense rising costs of diabetic care.

Rant over! 😡

Greymouser...my offer was made to registered forum members...some may need help adapting the letter...moreover since it contains a lot of personal information I do not want it published on the internet... I have decided to supply it on request to members here..without any control over who has access to it...I have no wish to be subjected the kind of adverse attention type 2s regularly receive from tabloid journalism...trolls... others who may use the opportunity for negative purposes.

I don't blame you, I would feel the same.

I applaude Bubbsie’s passion for this issue because I suspect she’s fighting the tide on this. I can appreciate why she wouldn’t want to post her ‘challenge letter’ on here for strategic reasons as MBT has said. Stock letters lose their potency. Her offer is to help members affected on an individual basis and this seems to align with the views from DUK here that each case should be fought on its merit.
However, in terms of the greater fight, I’d also like to see DUK taking much less of a resigned, accepting position on this and finding a way to use the membership to demonstrate success in self monitoring. This site is full of spectacular successes which could form the basis for evidence and positive action.
Rant over! 😡
Well said Amigo and agree about stock letters losing their power to bring change. I was part of a national helpline in the past and helped parents write letters to their local LEA, we always supported them to make it personal and relevant to their own situation. During the process of supporting them writing the letter, it also had the effect of empowering the individual parents. I am sure that @Bubbsie is giving loads of support through the private messages so that the the individual is more resourced to take on the challenge.

By managing my diabetes successfully at home with very little clinical input, I save the surgery time, the cost of medication, the expense of dealing with complications and hopefully, avoid being a casualty and massive drain on the NHS of being yet another type 2 who was denied the opportunity to play a part in their own care. The present denial of home testing equipment (for those who want to do it), is paternalistic twaddle and NICE are simply hiding behind inadequate and outdated research. Pro-active and preventative measures are needed to stop the immense rising costs of diabetic care.

Well said Amigo!

Bubbsie obviously up to you what you do with your letter but I am confused. Surely the more people that see/use the letter, whether or not they are registered members, then the more diabetics that could benefit from getting testing strips and the more that GPs would recognise the benefits of testing.I thought that was what was wanted?
That is something DUK should be addressing AJ..I have already stated if DUK had a universal approach with their testing strips campaign...none of us need be here discussing this...I believe type 2s in my circumstances are under represented here...we were not included in the testing strips campaign...we have no type 2 moderator...I strongly perceive an imbalance here...perhaps your comments beg the question of why we have to approach this on an individual case by case basis...why those of us non-dependant on hypoglycaemic medication have to work so hard to get recognition on this issue...why aren't DUK doing this on our behalf...that is the question that needs to be asked...I thank you for raising it...all who come here should be treated with respect...given consideration...that includes being listened to...being provided with support when its needed...the excuse that there is no solid reliable scientific data available...is wearing thin...DUK have the resources...the weight...the know how to get this off the ground.

I believe type 2s in my circumstances are under represented here...we were not included in the testing strips campaign...we have no type 2 moderator...I strongly perceive an imbalance here.
I'm sorry, I don't accept that. Firstly, most moderators on most health-related forums do not have the health condition that is the subject of the forum. We have over 750,000 posts here, there has always been support for Type 2 self-monitoring, and one of the strengths of this forum is the fact that we are NOT divisive, everyone is here to support everyone else whatever their relationship to diabetes. Many of the problems diabetes can cause are common to all of us. We have about a 50/50 membership of the two major types of diabetes.

Just a few observations from me, a type 2 diet controlled member who tests as many times as Bubbsie per day (with very good effect in terms of demonstrable diabetic management) and who receives testing strips without question from my GP. I do accept however that I have other serious health conditions which may make the surgery more amenable to me because infection and diabetic control is inextricably linked. This issue applies to many of our members too which is why the fight needs to start individually with the GP surgery and CCG. I’ve read the guidelines and it doesn’t say that testing strips shouldn’t ever be provided simply that it shouldn’t be routinely done. So there’s room for manoeuvre.

I’m not unfamiliar with what seem like ‘unwinnable’ fights for medication and treatment with NICE. I’ve been involved in the political fight for Ibrutinib, a leukaemia drug denied initially to people like me. I also accept that they are evidence based but there seems little activity around presently to provide the evidence needed in this particular cause. That’s where campaigning organisations play a pivotal role.

Rant over! 😡
Amigo...I wouldn't call that a rant by any means...its clearly argued... rational... reasoned...it puts the matter firmly into perspective...covers all the points I have struggled to raise here time & time again...I agree with all you say...hopefully others will take a lead from this thread...and the responses...ask the same questions...raise the same points...I really couldn't have put it better myself...I'm very grateful for such a well considered balanced...no nonsense...forceful argument...Thank you.

Thank you to all who have given responses to this issue...they are very much appreciated...as always this issue provokes much debate & discussion...with differing opinions...clearly there are two sides to every story...each side has a right to put their point of view...I have no wish to engage in a discussion about division or statistics... I do not want this thread to be closed because it has become too contentious...we've each had our say...we each choose whether to respond or not...I choose the latter.

I therefore have questions and again forgve my ignorance. What is the status of the campaign and what forward steps have been achieved? How is the campaign structured and managed? What success so far?

I appreciate that this discussion has come to a natural end - but as promised to @Vince_UK I have a response from our Policy Team:

We’re fighting to make sure everyone with diabetes gets the test strips they need to manage their condition well. We’ve constantly reminded national governments and NHS managers that access to test strips should be based on each person’s need.

We’ve also raised the issue of test strip restrictions at the All Party Parliamentary Group for Diabetes, which we help support. The group’s report, to be published soon, is likely to outline the issues with restrictions and their impact on people with diabetes.

Thanks to people with diabetes taking part in our test strips survey we’ve been able show just how many people are affected by restrictions and the effect it has on their lives.

You can also raise local issues of restrictions by taking our local action
https://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1967&ea.campaign.id=67094&ea.tracking.id=web

As I mentioned before, there is also some information on the Testing Times page of the website which explains where the campaign is. See the ‘Challenging the Restrictions’ part: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/test-strip-campaigning

Thanks

I appreciate that this discussion has come to a natural end - but as promised to @Vince_UK I have a response from our Policy Team:

We’re fighting to make sure everyone with diabetes gets the test strips they need to manage their condition well. We’ve constantly reminded national governments and NHS managers that access to test strips should be based on each person’s need.

We’ve also raised the issue of test strip restrictions at the All Party Parliamentary Group for Diabetes, which we help support. The group’s report, to be published soon, is likely to outline the issues with restrictions and their impact on people with diabetes.

Thanks to people with diabetes taking part in our test strips survey we’ve been able show just how many people are affected by restrictions and the effect it has on their lives.

You can also raise local issues of restrictions by taking our local action
https://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1967&ea.campaign.id=67094&ea.tracking.id=web

As I mentioned before, there is also some information on the Testing Times page of the website which explains where the campaign is. See the ‘Challenging the Restrictions’ part: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/test-strip-campaigning

Thanks
I know the MP Keith Vaz is an advocate for Diabetics issues as I have watched him speak up many times in Parliament.

I know the MP Keith Vaz is an advocate for Diabetics issues as I have watched him speak up many times in Parliament.
Thank you grovesy...I wasn't aware of that...useful to know.

Well said Amigo and agree about stock letters losing their power to bring change. I was part of a national helpline in the past and helped parents write letters to their local LEA, we always supported them to make it personal and relevant to their own situation. During the process of supporting them writing the letter, it also had the effect of empowering the individual parents. I am sure that @Bubbsie is giving loads of support through the private messages so that the the individual is more resourced to take on the challenge.
Thank you NJ...good point...I appreciate that.

Thanks Bubbsie. I just don't see the point of the conflict within a group of people who all, irregardless of state, should share the same goals and be supportive for the common good.
Diabetes is a chronic and life changing condition and we should all remember that. It has certainly changed my life both in positive and negative ways. I cannot for example, just pop into Burger King or a Pizza place on my way home. I have to think and then settle for a tin of sardines, as I have just done, because the alternative just doesn't bear thinking about.
Testing and the associated benefits I have already outlined have played a vital role in my understanding of exactly what condition I have and, more importantly, how to manage it.
I shudder to think what I would have done and where I would be if I had not been able to fund either the meter or the strips.
It would have been like driving down a German autobahn at 200 miles an hour, blindfolded.
Great analogy Vince...a very accurate description of managing diabetes without the requisite necessities...thank you.

Good grief. You seem to miss the central point...that T2s should not be obliged to jump through flaming hoops to get what they need to keep themselves healthy. Testing strips should be routinely available to all who want to test. It's high time that DUK and DUK representatives got on board instead of pandering to the NHS bean-counters.
Yep...spot on MBT.

Keep up the good work, we need to sort this ridiculous regulation out. Our health and wellbeing is on the line. Available blood strips for regular control makes far more sense economically, it is obvious that the alternative is very expensive,worrying and serious - health complications accrued. It's Insane. I'll get thinking of how I can put pen to paper regarding the matter.

Hi Margaret Wilson, new member, it was interesting to hear of problem with meters. I decided to bypass my nurse she had always refused. Doc asked me to give reasons why I should be given one. I argued my case, as you have given above, that I wanted to be in charge and how afraid I was that I did not know what was happening to my body reg. Bgs (may I say I was told that I would have to go on insulin as I was DX after gallstone pancreatitis) I wanted to delay this if I could!!!!! I am not sure if I will eventually need to go on insulin but I wanted the chance to be in control and to know what was happening with my diet. I did find the. Lchf made a big difference to my bgs something I would not have known!!! My doc agreed but only gave me the meter and strips because he said I would be going on insulin anyway so therefore I will need to get used to using a meter. Hope this all makes sense,but I feel this issue is very important to all diabetics, even although I am very new to all of this. Thanks for listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back