Technology - Libre Freestyle Blood Glucose Monitoring System

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one thing I don't see is a problem

Abbott themselves and health professionals refer to it as that, we are on a diabetes forum where most know what it stands for, if folk don't then it's usually also mentioned in the thread what it is/does, there are far more triggering things posted on the forum and it used to be allowed so I don't really see the issue
I doubt there's much of a problem really, but I think I prefer rtCGM and isCGM. It nicely emphasises that isCGM is really something that's pretty close to rtCGM, not just a way to avoid "painful" finger prick tests.

I doubt there's much of a problem really, but I think I prefer rtCGM and isCGM. It nicely emphasises that isCGM is really something that's pretty close to rtCGM, not just a way to avoid "painful" finger prick tests.
rtCGM = real time continuous glucose monitoring?

What’s isCGM? Intermittent scanning?

Continuous Glucose Monitor. Sometimes now split into two categories, rtCGM and isCGM, with Dexcom and the like being rtCGM (they supply the data frequently, in real time, to a phone or other device) and Libre 1 and Libre 2 (and Eversense) being isCGM (you get data by intermittently scanning).

Looks like it!

Kaylz - it isn't just you, he's told me off too. Very very sad that he feels like that - I had to damn well look it up to understand what he was moaning about ! Which I did not enjoy by the way - especially that my persona might be connected with the other meaning. Yes - of course I'd heard of it but good God, we are on a UK diabetes forum here and writing things for PWD to read and hopefully help themselves.

That would be great. I was hoping that other people would post any useful information into the thread. And I didn’t want to seem to be promoting it too forcefully myself.
( I didn’t want it to just be about me)

Again - this thread wasn’t intended just for me, or to unequivocally promote Libre Freestyle - just to share my own positive experience and perhaps to be a ‘critical friend’? I found it via ads for a ‘free two week trial’ and took it from there. I hope anyone who has useful feedback or questions will post to this thread.

That’s the thing - my phone has bluetooth and it’s how I control my insulin pump, but it’s not compatible with the Libre app (nor Dexcom). I simply can’t afford a new phone. I agree with @Bruce Stephens that ditching the Reader is a bad idea.

TBH, I’m happy with the Reader. It has the alarms and it works well.

I see what you mean.
I didn’t intend to be patronising - I just got a little carried away with the newly discovered technology. (New to me anyway)

Someone here said there is an app you can use on a PC. I’ve only used the iOS app so far.

There are also a few other options to buy smartphones for less than the cost of the latest model or to commit to a ‘payment plan’.

That is incorrect, you need a phone that has NFC, BT is only for the alarms, NFC is needed for the manual scanning of a Libre sensor

I have no idea what that means.

I received the ‘free trial’ sensor. Downloaded the app, followed the instructions. scanned the sensor and off I went. The only issues I have had have been with Libre technology and contacting customer services - but that’s down to the company rather than the phone.

I have an iPhone SE - the model apple brought out as an affordable alternative to their relentless and highly priced updates. So far it works for me. If you know where to look you can find refurbished / second hand phones - but you do need to be careful who you buy from.

I have no idea what that means.

I received the ‘free trial’ sensor. Downloaded the app, followed the instructions. scanned the sensor and off I went. The only issues I have had have been with Libre technology and contacting customer services - but that’s down to the company rather than the phone.
NFC is Near Field Communication - it is what you use to scan the Libre Sensor, Bluetooth is only used for the alert.
I believe iPhones use it for ApplePay but there are quite a few "budget" and older smartphones that do not have NFC.

As the Libre 3 is a "true CGM" (is that a rtCGM?), it may not need the NFC.

Last edited:
As the Libre 3 is a "true CGM" (is that a rtCGM?), it may not need the NFC.
My guess is it'll require NFC at least for initialisation (to pair the device that you then use with Bluetooth). (I'd also guess that it'll continue to allow scanning using NFC, but I'm less confident about that.)

My guess is it'll require NFC at least for initialisation (to pair the device that you then use with Bluetooth). (I'd also guess that it'll continue to allow scanning using NFC, but I'm less confident about that.)
Why? I pair my headphones, speaker, car and insulin pump with my phones using Bluetooth pairing. My expectation is that Libre 3 could use the same mechanism.

Dexcom does not require NFC.
As LIbre 3 is smaller than the Libre 1 and 2, they must be removing some parts such as the NFC "transmitter.

Sorry, I am just speculating and should wait until I get one to "play" with.

I’m sure you’re absolutely right.
But I’m doing my best to ‘share’ with everyone - whether they know IT jargon or not. I’m pretty IT literate - except I have very little patience when something doesn’t work the first time.

Bottom line is - the most effective way to disseminate information is to assume you are explaining a concept to an intelligent person, but one who has no prior knowledge of the subject.

Maybe a ‘signposted’ ‘Diabetes UK’ glossary of basic concepts and anagrams could go some way to making information accessible to everyone?

It isn't IT jargon, you stated that all you needed was a phone with bluetooth which is an incorrect statement as the bluetooth is only used to receive alarms, you MUST have a phone with NFC otherwise the Libre sensors are useless so going with your comment some might have wasted their money so better people don't do that and are made aware the phone must have NFC

Maybe a ‘signposted’ ‘Diabetes UK’ glossary of basic concepts and anagrams could go some way to making information accessible to everyone?
There’s a list of commonly used acronyms in the 'Getting started section' here.
That whole section is a good place for newcomers to start.

There’s a list of commonly used acronyms in the 'Getting started section' here.
That whole section is a good place for newcomers to start.
So - Is it really not obvious when you access the forum? It is when I go on the homepage by clicking 'Forums' in the top menu - it's the first thing. Welcome and getting started - how to use the forum and technical support. More than a hint the section could be useful I'd have thought, but clearly not.

I see what you mean.
I didn’t intend to be patronising - I just got a little carried away with the newly discovered technology. (New to me anyway)

Someone here said there is an app you can use on a PC. I’ve only used the iOS app so far.

There are also a few other options to buy smartphones for less than the cost of the latest model or to commit to a ‘payment plan’.
It is not an app on the PC it is a programme linked to Abbott.

@AnnSebastian I am loving your enthusiasm for sharing.
I wonder if you have found the Search at the top right of all pages. I often use this to find previous threads on a topic such as the Glossary you suggested (and @Robin kindly posted a link).

It can be frustrating when you feel as if you come into a conversation half way through and everyone else seems to know what they are talking about but you think they are speaking another language. I guess that is the nature of the forum - I see it more of a library of discussions with a few reference items sprinkled through them rather than a large diabetes reference document which is why you often see the same things repeated in multiple conversations/threads. Just like all good chats with friends 🙂

It isn't IT jargon, you stated that all you needed was a phone with bluetooth which is an incorrect statement as the bluetooth is only used to receive alarms, you MUST have a phone with NFC otherwise the Libre sensors are useless so going with your comment some might have wasted their money so better people don't do that and are made aware the phone must have NFC

Whatever. I thought that ‘check that the Libre app is compatible with your phone’ or words to that effect that kind of covered that, was enough?

If I didn’t already have it set up - without a need to overthink it - then reading unintelligible anagrams would certainly put me off checking it out in the first place.

@AnnSebastian I am loving your enthusiasm for sharing.
I wonder if you have found the Search at the top right of all pages. I often use this to find previous threads on a topic such as the Glossary you suggested (and @Robin kindly posted a link).

It can be frustrating when you feel as if you come into a conversation half way through and everyone else seems to know what they are talking about but you think they are speaking another language. I guess that is the nature of the forum - I see it more of a library of discussions with a few reference items sprinkled through them rather than a large diabetes reference document which is why you often see the same things repeated in multiple conversations/threads. Just like all good chats with friends 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back