Switch from Libre 2 to Dexcom G6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clinical Commissioning Groups (probably only relevant for England, and probably only for a while since it must be time for another pointless reorganisation).
I'm hoping so because when i asked how often i test a day I can't answer the question, it will also depend so at the hospital Tuesday they were asking this and my friend who came with me said afterwards there isn't a set amount she uses in a day either. i wish things like test strips didn't have a due date on apartlly my friends don't. its makes it even harder when even progesitonals are expecting to stick to a certain amount a day what ever you're doing but sometimes when i work it can mean 8 hours on you're feet.

The prospect of CGM for all T1s in the updated NICE guidance is certainly gathering a head of steam...

And Partha Kar was instrumental in getting Libre available on prescription, when many people said it wouldn't happen.

I am also currently using blucon with xDrip and Libre 1 (to allow watch as collector.)
Are you using the Ambrosia app with Libre 2? I tried their app 3 or 4 years ago and found it too buggy for me.
yes linkblucon app, its been few months only i am using blucon.

About £49 for a sensor that lasts 14days. I suggest you look at the Abbott website.

If I were to self fund the Libre, roughly how much would it cost me?

You can get a two week ‘free trial’ without any commitment. I’m not trying to promote it but if you google ‘Libre free trial’ if it’s still available in UK you will find it.

If I were to self fund the Libre, roughly how much would it cost me?
As others have said, there is a free trial at the moment but they are about £50 to purchase but importantly you do need a compatible phone which will run the app needed to scan and read the sensor. It is an amazing bit of kit but be warned.... it is very addictive!! 😱 Once you start using it, you won't want to stop. 🙄

I probably wouldn’t have tried Libre Freestyle without the ‘free trial’ offer. But Libre are pretty savvy with that. There is absolutely no obligation to buy more - but - a majority of people who try it out will want to keep using it.

As others have said - you need a compatible phone to use the free app - if you needed a ‘reader’ you’d have to buy one - so that would be a little more complicated. And I’m not sure if that works with the 2.

Personally, if anyone is thinking of using the ‘free trial’ I’d strongly advise them not to ‘overthink’ it.
Order it. Slap it in your arm. Download the LibreLink app. And start using it. If you decide it’s for you, then that’s probably the time to start doing more research.

And I’m not sure if that works with the 2.
It doesn't work at the moment because they're not selling the readers.

But for a while the readers were compatible with both (just didn't offer alarms when used with a Libre 2 sensor). And they have Libre 2 readers (if you have a Libre 1 reader they'll send you one), though the Libre 2 readers are not compatible with Libre 1 sensors.

It's a different reader for the 2 than it was for the 1 - those of us who migrated to the 2 from the prescribed 1, were encouraged to apply for and get our new reader in time for when we could get the sensors. And the old one couldn't read the new sensors - they did tell you upfront it wouldn't but the thing was there; of course I tried it!

It's a different reader for the 2 than it was for the 1 - those of us who migrated to the 2 from the prescribed 1, were encouraged to apply for and get our new reader in time for when we could get the sensors. And the old one couldn't read the new sensors - they did tell you upfront it wouldn't but the thing was there; of course I tried it!

That’s a shame. ‘Big Pharma’ exists mostly to make a profit. But I can accept that if they provide value for money. It would make a lot of economic sense for LibreFreestyle manufacture to address all these ‘minor’ issues.

The company is global. If it aims to access the NHS market in any big way it’s best interests would surely be served by staying on top of these hiccups?

The company is global. If it aims to access the NHS market in any big way it’s best interests would surely be served by staying on top of these hiccups?
Abbott already has it's foot well and truly in the NHS door, so I am not sure there is any leverage there and the world wide private market where they almost certainly sell the product for more than the NHS has negotiated, will be a much bigger market but as you have said, the product concept is so good and it's use a real game changer in diabetes management, that most people are prepared to overlook or put up with it's unreliability. There are other similar products on the market (like the Dexcom) which may be more reliable, but are also more expensive. Abbott really pitched it right by making the Libre slightly more affordable.

Abbott already has it's foot well and truly in the NHS door, so I am not sure there is any leverage there and the world wide private market where they almost certainly sell the product for more than the NHS has negotiated, will be a much bigger market but as you have said, the product concept is so good and it's use a real game changer in diabetes management, that most people are prepared to overlook or put up with it's unreliability. There are other similar products on the market (like the Dexcom) which may be more reliable, but are also more expensive. Abbott really pitched it right by making the Libre slightly more affordable.
But that’s not to say that a little ‘prompting’ by enough potential customers couldn’t make a substantial difference?

Especially if they like the product but are really pi**ex off with the customer services.

Maybe I should start a new SM account?

Twitter is the best option to ‘challenge’ issues rather than just ‘receive information’.

I haven’t researched other countries in any detail - but as US health insurance companies are currently ‘chomping at the bit’ to buy out NHS services - it could be good to get one going asap?

to me somthing less reliable for cheaper isnt actually cheaper 🙂

That’s a shame. ‘Big Pharma’ exists mostly to make a profit. But I can accept that if they provide value for money. It would make a lot of economic sense for LibreFreestyle manufacture to address all these ‘minor’ issues.

You seem to believe "making a profit" in a business is inherently bad?
How long could they continue for if they make a continuous loss?
How would they fund manufacture, research, development?
If you work, would you expect your company not to make any profits, and still expect to be paid?
Personally, I would prefer them to continue to make products, make profits, and to innovate and advance those products.

to me somthing less reliable for cheaper isnt actually cheaper 🙂
Yes, but if you have very limited funds and you are looking at buying something which will be an ongoing drain on your resources, then you have to decide if you can afford it and if the benefit outweighs the extra cost. I toyed with starting self funding Dexcom because when I was first interested, Libre were having manufacturing problems and were not accepting any new customers and that went on for over 6 months I believe. Not only was the Dexcom a lot more expensive but it seemed you had to commit to a long term contract. It was beyond my means to do so, so I waited until Libre was available and self funded for several months before I was lucky enough to get it on prescription.

For the majority of us, Libre is lifechanging, even if it isn't perfect but I think Dexcom may not be perfect either.

Not only was the Dexcom a lot more expensive but it seemed you had to commit to a long term contract.
That was why I started with Libre, too.

A DSN mentioned it (back before he could offer it on prescription) and I looked at Libre and Dexcom (maybe another one, too), and Libre had a nice simple offer: £150 for a reader and two sensors, with a nice familiar looking web shop. The others looked much more involved (I'm not sure they even gave prices).

So Libre won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back