Questions questions questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly what the confusion is. I roughly calculate my carbs and then take insulin. I try not to deviate from my previous doses cos I should only be increasing or decreasing by 1 unit at a time. Keeping it same for 3 days to see their true effect.
The rule of adjusting by 1 unit at a time and keeping same dose for 3 days only applies to basal (long acting) insulin, not fast acting (mealtime) insulin. The mealtime insulin dose will change every meal and every day because it depends on what you are eating.

How many carbs are there in the two Weetabix and the milk you have with it and what is your carb to insulin ratio.
26g of carbs in 2 weetabix and 10g in 150ml of semi skimmed milk. Today I replaced milk with SF almond milk which has 0g of carbs. My morning tea has 2g of carbs. The ratio I ve been observing is 1:5. I worked it out to 6u of Novorapid this morning.

The rule of adjusting by 1 unit at a time and keeping same dose for 3 days only applies to basal (long acting) insulin, not fast acting (mealtime) insulin. The mealtime insulin dose will change every meal and every day because it depends on what you are eating.
Oh, I see. Thanks. X

want to throw in some hugs, seriously, my heart goes out to you.
That's the nicest thing someone has said to me lately. So a very big thank you from me.

I think you have two problems. I think you forget things or don’t fully understand sometimes? I also think you sometimes explain unclearly. For example, a few posts back you said your breakfast ratio was 1:5g but now you’re saying you are on fixed doses?

To reduce the spike you need to take the right amount of insulin at the right time. That’s presuming your basal insulin is correct.
My breakfast ratio is 1:5g. It remains fixed as I eat same thing every morning.

I am openly admitting that I fail to understand diabetes.

Purls I'm new to insulins too and there's so many head scratching moments. you aren't alone and many have been there done that and got through x

Some things will need to be discussed with your DSN, like if ratios aren't right or adjusting long acting if/when needed.
I'm defo finding that it all takes time to start to click into place (when I'm on or near the right dose).
My libre graphs are a mess some (most) days but starting to see the glimmer of some more normal readings off in the distance.

Stop beating yourself up. Ask questions and listen to other (more experienced than me) insulin users who can help with the tips and tricks x

It's a massive thing.
I had a very old school type 1 mate.
Same meals every day.
Same insulin.
Absolutely no issues doing that.
Whatever works for you is good.
Stay with what works.

It's a massive thing.
I had a very old school type 1 mate.
Same meals every day.
Same insulin.
Absolutely no issues doing that.
Whatever works for you is good.
Stay with what works.
That's what the issue is - it is not working! Last night, my carefully counted dinner had the sensor alerting me 5 times within an hour. It read 16+ during the night. I am bound to get concerned.

Purls I'm new to insulins too and there's so many head scratching moments. you aren't alone and many have been there done that and got through x

Some things will need to be discussed with your DSN, like if ratios aren't right or adjusting long acting if/when needed.
I'm defo finding that it all takes time to start to click into place (when I'm on or near the right dose).
My libre graphs are a mess some (most) days but starting to see the glimmer of some more normal readings off in the distance.

Stop beating yourself up. Ask questions and listen to other (more experienced than me) insulin users who can help with the tips and tricks x
Thanks gll.

Look on the packets, look at shop websites, get the book or app Carbs and Cals or similar so you know the carbs per 100g or everything you are going to have and weight everything or measure your milk. Invest in a calculator.
Done that. Been there.

That's what the issue is - it is not working! Last night, my carefully counted dinner had the sensor alerting me 5 times within an hour. It read 16+ during the night. I am bound to get concerned.
Can you talk us through last night's meal.....
ie What was your premeal reading?
What time was your meal?
What was the meal and how many carbs?
How much insulin did you use for it and which bolus insulin are you using?
How long in advance of eating did you inject?

That last question can be one of the most important when your levels are spiking high and eventually coming back down into range

And that’s perfectly ok not to understand 🙂 Do you think having a book that you could refer to would help you? It’s aimed at Type 1s but there’s an excellent book that’s often recommended here. Ignore the title - it’s good for adults too:

Type 1 Diabetes in Children Adolescents and Young People by Ragnar Hanas. It’s very popular here, and it’s good to have something to refer to in moments of uncertainty, or just as a learning aid.

What time was your meal?

That last question can be one of the most important when your levels are spiking high and eventually coming back down into range
Pre dinner reading was 6.8 at 7:30pm. Took 7u of NovoRapid. 30 mins later, ate 100g red lentil pasta with home made tomato sauce and little cheese shavings and a banana. Total carbs came to 61g. Went for a 20min walk after dinner.

10:45pm it read, 11.8
11:45pm it read, 13.7
01:30am it read 16.4
7:30am it read 12.4
10:00am it read 10.9

I have overslept. still to eat breakfast.

What time was your meal?

Too many carbs before bedtime I guess. Isn't hindsight a great thing?
I had very low carb lunch yesterday. Went out to meet my son's GF for the first time.
Breakfast was usual weetabix.
So all summed up to <100g of carbs in a day.

Pre dinner reading was 6.8 at 7:30pm. Took 7u of NovoRapid. 30 mins later, ate 100g red lentil pasta with home made tomato sauce and little cheese shavings and a banana. Total carbs came to 61g. Went for a 20min walk after dinner.

10:45pm it read, 11.8
11:45pm it read, 13.7
01:30am it read 16.4
7:30am it read 12.4
10:00am it read 10.9

I have overslept. still to eat breakfast.
OK. I can see why you would feel rather frustrated. Can you remind us which basal insulin you take and when you take it?

My thoughts are that either it is a basal insulin issue.... maybe basal is running out in the evening, especially if you take it at bedtime.... or.... the evening meal ratio needs adjustment plus that red lentil pasta was very slow to release.... or you are like some of us and manage to extract more carbs from lentils than they are supposed to contain, which is really frustrating as I love lentils.
Just to be clear can I ask... Was that 100g dry weight of the pasta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back