Questions about Newcastle diet, weight loss and what comes after

Meglorien

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi!
Sorry it's a long post. I'm Portuguese and we like words... I'm currently away at family's house. It's been somewhat difficult, even though I eat about half of what I used to only a couple of weeks ago. I've been reading about Newcastle and want to give it ago, once the holiday season is over (in about 3 weeks). There isn't much point in starting before, as it will be too difficult to keep to it. However, would there be any benefit in doing one meal with the shake before I start the 12-week course?

For the questions:
1) The Newcastle document says 3 shakes plus 200 calories of actual vegetables, but in other places it says just the 3 shakes. Which is it?
3) If it's 3 shakes plus 200 calories in vegetables, does one have three meals as recommended, in which one is 400 cal, or does one have 4 meals a day?
2) I've only seen three shakes available: banana, strawberry and chocolate. Is that right? I'll avoid the one that says vanilla, as I hate vanilla. (I'm in the UK, as I've seen from other posts that that makes a difference).
3) Do I need to wait for an appointment with the gp to start a diet plan?
4) I've seen there are people who have done not shakes but real food. I always cook from scratch, are there any useful guides I can follow? I like chocolate, but I'm not a huge on sweet food, and having three banana, strawberry or chocolate shakes every day sounds dreadful. It'd be great to have one actual meal, but the same effect as the shakes. I like the shakes because of their simplicity and life is very very complicated at the moment.
5) Will this also lower high cholesterol? I really would rather not have statin!!!
6) One thing is a diet to lose weight, the other is a diet to maintain weight. I absolutely do not have time to be counting calories. Any useful guides for vegetarians out there that you recommend? I'd like to use the 8 weeks to have a plan in place.

I've always found it extremely difficult to lose weight and had no problem at all putting it on. I've done calory counting, lots of exercise and other things back when I weighed 79 kg. It took me forever to get to 75 and then depression and life kicked in and I just gave in to the frustration, which is why I'm where I'm at now. I don't want that to happen this time, so I'm looking for a sustainable way to go about it, but even right now I'm feeling very frustrated, as two weeks the changes of eating a lot less carbs than before, and a lot less food in general, but increasing in vegetables and fruit on the plate and walking exercise has done 0 to my weight. Nothing at all. And there'll be days when it even goes up. I accept that this only means I'm not doing it properly, as I'm not actually counting, so maybe I eat less but there's still the same amount of calories (not that that adds up in my head, when portions have been dramatically slashed). But it sure does not feel encouraging and it is extremely frustrating. Even without changes, the adding of 1 hour walks should at least prevent me from gaining weight, but I'm eating a lot less as well, and I've followed the advice of reducing carbs and making sure half my plate is vegetables.

Last edited:
I'm not a medical professional, so don't take my reply as anything more than an opinion.

I'm very wary of this plan. It's not that it can't and/or doesn't work. And I do think that Roy Taylor has and is doing so much to further our understanding when it comes to diabetes. The issue is that the given diet is unnecessarily extreme and is indistinguishable to any of many other short-term crash diets.

On the positive side, it's very explicit in its recommendations, which pretty much takes all the guesswork out of the process. And drinking meal substitutes can certainly make it all much simpler. But I believe the potential negatives outweigh any positives.

I'm not a medical professional, so don't take my reply as anything more than an opinion.

I'm very wary of this plan. It's not that it can't and/or doesn't work. And I do think that Roy Taylor has and is doing so much to further our understanding when it comes to diabetes. The issue is that the given diet is unnecessarily extreme and is indistinguishable to any of many other short-term crash diets.

On the positive side, it's very explicit in its recommendations, which pretty much takes all the guesswork out of the process. And drinking meal substitutes can certainly make it all much simpler. But I believe the potential negatives outweigh any positives.
Thanks. I do appreciate different points of view and I'm not entirely sold out on any particular one. Could you say what are the negatives that outweigh any positives? Roy Taylor's point is that, in his study, loosing weight quickly at the beginning produced more permanent results in the long run. Since I've done the loosing weight the slow way with a lot of headaches and little results to show for it before, I thought I'd give it a try. I particularly like the clean slate at the end of the 12 weeks (in the NHS programme, it's 12 rather than 8). But please do tell me about alternative methods, I'm really open to them.
I do have a phonecall with a medical professional today too, so it'd be lovely to be "armed" with lots of information.

I don't disagree with Roy about the benefits of diving into a full-on approach to get a great start. My worry is that it's so extreme that there's a much higher likelihood that people will either fail or will just rebound in the same way as any crash diet.

If Roy's theories are correct then it's the fat-loss itself and not the speed or deficit that's important.

I'm not even saying that people should do the opposite and go really slow, either. But i think there's a lot of grey in between the two extremes. You will be able to lose weight at either end of that deficit, but I think that it would be ideal for doctors etc. to be able to work with patients to find their sweet-spot, between the motivation of seeing huge and quick results and being at the point of eating the sofa. But I understand they don't have the time and resources to treat eat patient so independently.

Either way, I know where I would aim, but that's based on my own experience with myself.

I think that shakes can be a good idea as it frees the mind of any deliberation and decision-making, which can al be weak-points along the chain of self-discipline. But will you like them enough to eat them multiple times a day, for 84 days? And if you love them, then is there any reason why an additional shake would be a problem? Perhaps those couple of hundred extra calories would be enough to make the difference between success and failure, in terms of compliance (It certainly wouldn't stop dramatic weight/fat-loss).

My biggest concerns are that with such a deficit many people are just going to 'white-knuckle' it through till the end, and then be stuck. That leads on to another concern, which is that the program doesn't train new eating habits. If successful, it will teach the patient to be very good at drinking meals and eating salads, which for most will not be sustainable.

So it depends on you, and how you think you will respond to the protocol and how you will transition afterwards. Personally, I'd use the 800-calories as a reference point, but for me I'd want to do it with more calories, and with food. Even an extra 2-300 kcals would make a huge difference. You could even use zig-zag dieting, where you alternate between 800kcals and sightly more, on different days.

Again, this is just my opinion, and speaking about myself.

I don't disagree with Roy about the benefits of diving into a full-on approach to get a great start. My worry is that it's so extreme that there's a much higher likelihood that people will either fail or will just rebound in the same way as any crash diet.

If Roy's theories are correct then it's the fat-loss itself and not the speed or deficit that's important.

I'm not even saying that people should do the opposite and go really slow, either. But i think there's a lot of grey in between the two extremes. You will be able to lose weight at either end of that deficit, but I think that it would be ideal for doctors etc. to be able to work with patients to find their sweet-spot, between the motivation of seeing huge and quick results and being at the point of eating the sofa. But I understand they don't have the time and resources to treat eat patient so independently.

Either way, I know where I would aim, but that's based on my own experience with myself.

I think that shakes can be a good idea as it frees the mind of any deliberation and decision-making, which can al be weak-points along the chain of self-discipline. But will you like them enough to eat them multiple times a day, for 84 days? And if you love them, then is there any reason why an additional shake would be a problem? Perhaps those couple of hundred extra calories would be enough to make the difference between success and failure, in terms of compliance (It certainly wouldn't stop dramatic weight/fat-loss).

My biggest concerns are that with such a deficit many people are just going to 'white-knuckle' it through till the end, and then be stuck. That leads on to another concern, which is that the program doesn't train new eating habits. If successful, it will teach the patient to be very good at drinking meals and eating salads, which for most will not be sustainable.

So it depends on you, and how you think you will respond to the protocol and how you will transition afterwards. Personally, I'd use the 800-calories as a reference point, but for me I'd want to do it with more calories, and with food. Even an extra 2-300 kcals would make a huge difference. You could even use zig-zag dieting, where you alternate between 800kcals and sightly more, on different days.

Thanks, I appreciate both your candor and opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Hi!
Sorry it's a long post. I'm Portuguese and we like words... I'm currently away at family's house. It's been somewhat difficult, even though I eat about half of what I used to only a couple of weeks ago. I've been reading about Newcastle and want to give it ago, once the holiday season is over (in about 3 weeks). There isn't much point in starting before, as it will be too difficult to keep to it. However, would there be any benefit in doing one meal with the shake before I start the 12-week course?

For the questions:
1) The Newcastle document says 3 shakes plus 200 calories of actual vegetables, but in other places it says just the 3 shakes. Which is it?
3) If it's 3 shakes plus 200 calories in vegetables, does one have three meals as recommended, in which one is 400 cal, or does one have 4 meals a day?
2) I've only seen three shakes available: banana, strawberry and chocolate. Is that right? I'll avoid the one that says vanilla, as I hate vanilla. (I'm in the UK, as I've seen from other posts that that makes a difference).
3) Do I need to wait for an appointment with the gp to start a diet plan?
4) I've seen there are people who have done not shakes but real food. I always cook from scratch, are there any useful guides I can follow? I like chocolate, but I'm not a huge on sweet food, and having three banana, strawberry or chocolate shakes every day sounds dreadful. It'd be great to have one actual meal, but the same effect as the shakes. I like the shakes because of their simplicity and life is very very complicated at the moment.
5) Will this also lower high cholesterol? I really would rather not have statin!!!
6) One thing is a diet to lose weight, the other is a diet to maintain weight. I absolutely do not have time to be counting calories. Any useful guides for vegetarians out there that you recommend? I'd like to use the 8 weeks to have a plan in place.

I've always found it extremely difficult to lose weight and had no problem at all putting it on. I've done calory counting, lots of exercise and other things back when I weighed 79 kg. It took me forever to get to 75 and then depression and life kicked in and I just gave in to the frustration, which is why I'm where I'm at now. I don't want that to happen this time, so I'm looking for a sustainable way to go about it, but even right now I'm feeling very frustrated, as two weeks the changes of eating a lot less carbs than before, and a lot less food in general, but increasing in vegetables and fruit on the plate and walking exercise has done 0 to my weight. Nothing at all. And there'll be days when it even goes up. I accept that this only means I'm not doing it properly, as I'm not actually counting, so maybe I eat less but there's still the same amount of calories (not that that adds up in my head, when portions have been dramatically slashed). But it sure does not feel encouraging and it is extremely frustrating. Even without changes, the adding of 1 hour walks should at least prevent me from gaining weight, but I'm eating a lot less as well, and I've followed the advice of reducing carbs and making sure half my plate is vegetables.
Meglorian, well done on considering your approach not only now, but over the longer term. For me, that has always been an important strategy.

I was diagnosed in 2013, and whilst we did have electricity the Newcastle Diet wasn't at all known, so it wasn't on myu personal radar for a while.

The first thing I did was invest in a blood glucose monitor, so that I could get some feedback (from my body) on a day to day basis. I was also about to leave on a 9-month sailing trip, several thousand miles from the NHS, so I realised I'd be pretty much on my own.

What I did was I tested my blood, just before eating, then 2 hours after eating. Those numbers guided me to know which foods were fine and which weren't doing me any favours. In essence, I found the carb heavy foods either needed to be cut back or cut out.

Using that approach, I never counted calories, or carbs. I also never weighed myself, until about 3 months in when I knew I had trimmed up, because my shorts were too big.

I broke my 9 month trip and came back to UK at the 4 month point, to see how I was getting along. By then, it transpired I had reduced my HbA1c to non diabetic levels, where they have remained since.

My observation of the Newcastle Diet is it's quite brutal, but has the potential to be mind blowingly boring. Some like it because they don't have to think about what they'll be eating, whereas my approach became a sort of elimination diet in the early days.

Whichever way you decide to approach it, I wish you food fortune.

When I was first diagnosed, I used the principles of the Newcastle diet, but not the shakes. For the first few weeks I simply ate "normal" food around the 600 cal mark per day. Eg 150 cal omelette in the morning, 150 cals cheese lunchtime and around 300 protein and leafy veg for tea.
I'm still on that eating plan 3 years later, but obviously bigger portions than previously to maintain my weight and BG levels. I find it sustainable and varied, and really easy to stick to. I rarely eat bread, potatoes, rice or pasta, but I still manage a big plateful of something tasty.
Good luck if you manage the proper Newcastle diet...I know there are people on this forum who have successfully shed weight on it. For me it was largely the "mind blowingly boring" as @AndBreathe says which made me do it another way.

Hi!
I've been reading about Newcastle and want to give it ago, once the holiday season is over (in about 3 weeks). There isn't much point in starting before, as it will be too difficult to keep to it. However, would there be any benefit in doing one meal with the shake before I start the 12-week course?

For the questions:
1) The Newcastle document says 3 shakes plus 200 calories of actual vegetables, but in other places it says just the 3 shakes. Which is it? Roy Taylor advocated filling up on vegetables
3) If it's 3 shakes plus 200 calories in vegetables, does one have three meals as recommended, in which one is 400 cal, or does one have 4 meals a day? 600-800 calories per day plus vegetables
2) I've only seen three shakes available: banana, strawberry and chocolate. Is that right? I'll avoid the one that says vanilla, as I hate vanilla. (I'm in the UK, as I've seen from other posts that that makes a difference). Check all the approved suppliers
3) Do I need to wait for an appointment with the gp to start a diet plan? You certainly should. I discussed mine with with our GP. She advised taking Metformin but I think she acquiesced when I said I wouln't.
4) I've seen there are people who have done not shakes but real food. I always cook from scratch, are there any useful guides I can follow? Protein and vegetables. Make sure you get enough protein. I supplemented with unflavoured protein power. I like chocolate, but I'm not a huge on sweet food, and having three banana, strawberry or chocolate shakes every day sounds dreadful. It'd be great to have one actual meal, but the same effect as the shakes. I like the shakes because of their simplicity and life is very very complicated at the moment. I should have adopted shakes for lunch at the office, Nowadays I have gone one better and skip lunch as well as breakfast two or three days a week to save time and help with weight maintenance. You get used to fasting on a 16:8 regimen.
5) Will this also lower high cholesterol? I really would rather not have statin!!! Probably
6) One thing is a diet to lose weight, the other is a diet to maintain weight. I absolutely do not have time to be counting calories. Any useful guides for vegetarians out there that you recommend? I'd like to use the 8 weeks to have a plan in place. Zoe Harcombe's diet applies to weight loss and maintenance, and it works for vegetarians too.
I followed a real food version of the Newcastle Diet to lose 15 kg in just over two months and, gradually increasing quantities, 22 kg in total to get back into the trousers I wore in twenties (just as Professor Taylor said I could in his book). I am extemely happy with the outcome.

Would I do it again in the same way? No, I was far too tetchy at times. I would go for something like the Harcombe diet which is good for weight loss and, as I have discovered, for weight maintenance. Zoe Harcombe explains the principles in her article What should we eat?

I think it would be good to start with Shakes for 2-4 weeks and then switch, if only to convince your GP that you can come off medication (if you are taking it).

See notes in bold in your questions above in the quote.

P.S. Roy Taylor devised his diet for clinical trials. It has subsequently been adopted for managed programmes, such as the NHS Path to Remission. He has always advised individuals to go for portion control or any other means of losing the weight necessary to get your liver and pancreas back to normal.

Last edited:

I am going on this diet in September and yes I agree I will white knuckle it through the 12 weeks but if you're on the Oviva which I think sounds like the Newcastle diet then you get a coach for a year. At first, it's weekly then two weekly, and possibly monthly then 3 monthly I would imagine, There is a Facebook site where you can talk to others here and there, and a phone number to call. Like any diet, you have to work it to work. All things have negatives taking one's medication and the correct diet for diabetes for some is a doddle for me it is pure torture, I am coping at the moment with less food but I went crazy when my daughter was here, and know a Chinese take away has to be what I like and not makeshift low carb. It is like chocolate a piece of dark on the low carb is not as naughty as a bar of Galaxy or a magnum. Yes, I am excited to give this a go. to see if I can get my sugars and weight in order. Good Luck, to those who I say can be positive and try.

I followed a real food version of the Newcastle Diet to lose 15 kg in just over two months and, gradually increasing quantities, 22 kg in total to get back into the trousers I wore in twenties (just as Professor Taylor said I could in his book). I am extemely happy with the outcome.

Would I do it again in the same way? No, I was far too tetchy at times. I would go for something like the Harcombe diet which is good for weight loss and, as I have discovered, for weight maintenance. Zoe Harcombe explains the principles in her article What should we eat?

I think it would be good to start with Shakes for 2-4 weeks and then switch, if only to convince your GP that you can come off medication (if you are taking it).

See notes in bold in your questions above in the quote.

P.S. Roy Taylor devised his diet for clinical trials. It has subsequently been adopted for managed programmes, such as the NHS Path to Remission. He has always advised individuals to go for portion control or any other means of losing the weight necessary to get your liver and pancreas back to normal.
Thank you for your thorough reply. I have talked to my doctor and he has referred me to the NHS programme, so now I need to wait for them to contact me. My sister, who has similar problems, is trying out shakes for us (I'm away this week, so I need to wait until coming back). We got a couple of slimfast ones. She reports they are extremely sweet! I'm very much not a sweet tooth, so I shall have to figure that one out right at the start of the programme with the people who will be following me. I will be getting support for 12 months, the extreme diet is for 12 weeks and then they help me getting back to a normal diet - which will be a new normal, not the one I had before being diagnosed.
I find weight loss the most frustrating thing I have ever done in my life, and I've tried it several times before. It makes me feel very inadequate and hopeless, which is why nothing stuck. It's not like we eat fast food every day as it is, either. We go to restaurants seldom and we cook from scratch every day, so I'm hoping with some help we'll all be able to find a way in which we can have meals suitable for everyone in the house, where I have smaller portions, the kids have bigger portions in which my dancer will have more protein.
I'll read about Harcombe in the link you sent me. As you say, I will be doing what they want me to do in the Path to Remission programme, but I'm also very much thinking ahead.

Thank you for your thorough reply. I have talked to my doctor and he has referred me to the NHS programme, so now I need to wait for them to contact me. My sister, who has similar problems, is trying out shakes for us (I'm away this week, so I need to wait until coming back). We got a couple of slimfast ones. She reports they are extremely sweet! I'm very much not a sweet tooth, so I shall have to figure that one out right at the start of the programme with the people who will be following me. I will be getting support for 12 months, the extreme diet is for 12 weeks and then they help me getting back to a normal diet - which will be a new normal, not the one I had before being diagnosed.
I find weight loss the most frustrating thing I have ever done in my life, and I've tried it several times before. It makes me feel very inadequate and hopeless, which is why nothing stuck. It's not like we eat fast food every day as it is, either. We go to restaurants seldom and we cook from scratch every day, so I'm hoping with some help we'll all be able to find a way in which we can have meals suitable for everyone in the house, where I have smaller portions, the kids have bigger portions in which my dancer will have more protein.
I'll read about Harcombe in the link you sent me. As you say, I will be doing what they want me to do in the Path to Remission programme, but I'm also very much thinking ahead.
I start 5 th September we could be in same cohort. I have ordered the samples couple of weeks ago but nothing has arrived. Oh i hope not too sweet. Bought Acti vit water which is like sweet fizzy pop . Not really what i was after.

I start 5 th September we could be in same cohort. I have ordered the samples couple of weeks ago but nothing has arrived. Oh i hope not too sweet. Bought Acti vit water which is like sweet fizzy pop . Not really what i was after.
That would be great, if we were in the same cohort. I'm not sure, as I've only been referred a week ago and I haven't been contacted yet. But if so, perhaps we can keep in touch and help each other out!
Can one order samples, before being accepted? I'd like to do that if I can.

That would be great, if we were in the same cohort. I'm not sure, as I've only been referred a week ago and I haven't been contacted yet. But if so, perhaps we can keep in touch and help each other out!
Can one order samples, before being accepted? I'd like to do that if I can.
if same as mine . I got an email . Then i got told they'd check things with GP . My DN then sent a disclaimer . I then got the app and you then get an email to order the samples . Then i got my date to start.
we can still pm if you like and also chat here.
i think the soups might be better than the shakes as i can add herbs spices , chilli , curry tarragon etc . i shall see and then there is a bar too. So i was thinking shake for breakfast ,soup for lunch and tea and maybe a bar in the evening.
Its taken from June to September so I am getting started by low carb diet. Which is not great i can say. Had Fresh well mug muffin and feel full but it was not to be had again. ill have yoghurt tomorrow. i prefer that but does not keep me full until lunchtime . I am not a fan of meat so its hard to go without. I miss pasta rice and the alternatives to be honest are never as good . Anything to rid myself of the nasty blood glucose and being obese.

Oviva is what i am under.
Slimfast do not recommend their shakes over 12 stone.
Yes, I will be too, but I haven't got any email from them yet, since the GP sent the referral. I've got some blood tests this weekend and will ask if I need to do anything else to get things started.

I'll look at the documentation again, thanks for the link.

Oviva is what i am under.
Slimfast do not recommend their shakes over 12 stone.
I don't see a difference between Slimfast and Tesco Slim, although the tesco one is in the recommendation list but the Slimfast isn't. Any reasoning on why it's one is ok with Newcastle and the other isn't? I'm looking at all the ones available at the moment, before I get the email from Oviva. Does anybody know if there's a place comparing these? I'd like to replace just the one meal at the moment, so I'm looking at partial replacement suggestions.

The document I read in Diabetes UK seemed to include Slimfast. (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/meal-replacement-diet-plans.html and https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabete...emission/meal-replacement-plans-for-remission)

I don't see a difference between Slimfast and Tesco Slim, although the tesco one is in the recommendation list but the Slimfast isn't. Any reasoning on why it's one is ok with Newcastle and the other isn't? I'm looking at all the ones available at the moment, before I get the email from Oviva. Does anybody know if there's a place comparing these? I'd like to replace just the one meal at the moment, so I'm looking at partial replacement suggestions.

The document I read in Diabetes UK seemed to include Slimfast. (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/meal-replacement-diet-plans.html and https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabete...emission/meal-replacement-plans-for-remission)
I will just say this and take it with a pinch of salt. They do not want you to start the diet until day one of the 12 weeks with them. So they get measurements correct and its a study for them. But they send a sample pack first so yes I am confused. I'm having trouble finding out where it has gone.

I will just say this and take it with a pinch of salt. They do not want you to start the diet until day one of the 12 weeks with them. So they get measurements correct and its a study for them. But they send a sample pack first so yes I am confused. I'm having trouble finding out where it has gone.
I see. That's helpful to know. Well, I can't wait for weeks and do nothing, but I suppose I could leave the shakes for now and focus on Harcombe and other low carb suggestions, and what I want things to look like afterwards anyway.
I have an appointment for blood tests on Saturday, as I said, so I'll try and ask questions then and how long they expect I'll have to wait to be contacted (questions about timings and so on, not about diet, as the people available to talk with won't know). Like you said, "Anything to rid myself of the nasty blood glucose and being obese" 🙂

I see. That's helpful to know. Well, I can't wait for weeks and do nothing, but I suppose I could leave the shakes for now and focus on Harcombe and other low carb suggestions, and what I want things to look like afterwards anyway.
I have an appointment for blood tests on Saturday, as I said, so I'll try and ask questions then and how long they expect I'll have to wait to be contacted (questions about timings and so on, not about diet, as the people available to talk with won't know). Like you said, "Anything to rid myself of the nasty blood glucose and being obese" 🙂
I am doing likewise as I would be waiting 3 months and it's my body. I've tried to get through with the starter pack but it keeps going to email. The trial pack has not been delivered. It was not too expensive it was £15 so I might try that as I said it was the beginning of July and they are making me wait until Sept 5th. It is not good to do not do anything. I could easily put on more than I would lose don't really hold that much hope,

Back