Pump Start ; potential 780g

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will just be that overlap time. As you say it will pass, and then you can settle into your new world of pumping. So good to hear that you have been given funding for your sensors.

This will just be that overlap time. As you say it will pass, and then you can settle into your new world of pumping. So good to hear that you have been given funding for your sensors.
Temp basal has finished & everything is going great now, haven’t been above 8.0mmol. Really tempted to fit the CGM myself, seems absolutely pointless having 10 sensors sat in my drawer & not using them. I’m seeing people on the Medtronic Facebook group saying they are going into automode after 48hrs which is supposedly what the manual says. @SB2015 was the CGM side of things very hard or was it simply connecting the transmitter to the pump and then applying it to your arm? No setting changes etc ?

When I was training on the 680G which was 10 days in a clinic they told us the minimum time required before going into auto mode was 6 days because of the AI learning in the algorithm, the more data the pump has about your individual diabetes before starting auto mode the better the algorithm works, it may be BS but it sort of makes sense.
Germany takes the training very seriously with this pump and CGM training, I was really surprised to read you guys were getting a couple of hours a week for a few weeks.
We were monitored with BG tests every 2 hours 24 hours a day for the whole time and all our food was well documented for carb content for the whole training days.

I haven’t got that far yet @Maco
I know they want you in manual mode once the sensor and transmitter is fitted so that the sensor learns what your body needs, and can set its algorithm to suit you. I would personally wait as I would want to get it right, especially as I will be paying for the sensors.

Having said that I have just had excellent news that the cost of sensors has virtually halved!!!! Glad that I had a false start and waited. I shall wait until after my next review with Medtronic before I order. I knew they were dropping their prices but I am amazed at the scale of this. I think I can probably thank Dexcom for their advertising setting up big competition.

@SB2015 & @Maco, one thing I remember during the training I always had the sensor on from the first day and while I was in manual mode so if you both are not using the sensor yet the pump is not learning about your individual diabetes treatment.
The daily basal rate was taking care of keeping my BG in range, well once we got the amounts correct but the pump needed the sensor running to gather the data for the algorithm, you might want to enquire about that on your next training session.

@Paulbreen, I also should of had the Sensor on from day one. Because of the delays during the first training session it’s been put back to next week which is slightly annoying especially when My last Libre sensor has just ran out and there’s a delay with my prescription on another one. That’s why I feel like fitting it myself if I’m honest

@Paulbreen, I also should of had the Sensor on from day one. Because of the delays during the first training session it’s been put back to next week which is slightly annoying especially when My last Libre sensor has just ran out and there’s a delay with my prescription on another one. That’s why I feel like fitting it myself if I’m honest
Which sensor do you have, the guardian 3

Do you know how to put it on, if not watch the Meditronic video on YouTube on how to do it and stick one on. It’s a bit tricky first couple of times.
Go to options > utilities > sensor settings > sensor connections > start new sensor
Do it tomorrow when you have some time, put your transmitter on the battery charger a good hour before you start anything else, the rest of the process takes about 2.5 hours, after 2 hours warm up it will ask for a calibration from you BG meter and most likely another one after about 15 mins.
I do about 3 calibrations a day, morning, afternoon and last thing before going to sleep then it shouldn’t wake you during the night.
This where you have to keep the faith, in the beginning it’s like trying to put eels in a bag but the Benefit comes when you switch to auto mode.
last tip I always change my sensor on Sunday when I have nothing to do all afternoon

I was told to avoid calibrating twice within 15 mins as it will then tell you to replace the sensor. Not sure why and will want to check this out before I start on them.

Also not sure what the difference is between a BG and a calibration.
Wouldn’t you just calibrate whenever you do a BG for a meal?
Is there a reason not to calibrate sometimes with a BG (apart from the warning above).

I was told to avoid calibrating twice within 15 mins as it will then tell you to replace the sensor. Not sure why and will want to check this out before I start on them.

Also not sure what the difference is between a BG and a calibration.
Wouldn’t you just calibrate whenever you do a BG for a meal?
Is there a reason not to calibrate sometimes with a BG (apart from the warning above).
It tells you when it wants the calibration BG test after the sensor warms up then before it switches into full auto mode it asks you for another BG reading. You don’t decide any of it it guides you.
In auto mode you don’t do any BG for a meal you put in what the display is showing along with the amount of carbs you are going to eat.
calibrations are done several times a day to ensure the pump is showing you the correct reading and the sensor is measuring your BG correctly and the pump is displaying the correct value. The calibration is timed it will ask you to calibrate every 12 hours and if you don’t it suspends auto mode, you can of course calibrate when it suits you as I do
I attached some photos belowimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Paul
I had not realised that you don’t need to do BG at meals.
Lots to learn

Thanks Paul
I had not realised that you don’t need to do BG at meals.
Lots to learn
Your already winning Sue, I remember before Xmas you getting overwhelmed with it. The next great bit will come in a short time when you can put on the first sensor, great news about the price too, I can’t wait to hear your feedback when you get into auto mode.

@Paulbreen Did you have any issues connecting your transmitter to the app? I just keep getting 'transmitter not found'

Hi @Maco I have the same issue, but to be honest I never even knew about that app until a couple of weeks ago when I saw a video on my YouTube feed. Anyway you don’t need an app to run the 680G system but it would be nice to have.
Its apparently typical of Meditronic software and app’s not to work very well.
Let me know if you get it working, I’ll give it another go tomorrow when I change my current sensor and let you know if I get any progress

Hi @Maco I have the same issue, but to be honest I never even knew about that app until a couple of weeks ago when I saw a video on my YouTube feed. Anyway you don’t need an app to run the 680G system but it would be nice to have.
Its apparently typical of Meditronic software and app’s not to work very well.
Let me know if you get it working, I’ll give it another go tomorrow when I change my current sensor and let you know if I get any progress

Ive tried all ways bud, using my iPhone 12 with the latest iOS & my partners iPhone X with an older system just incase it wasn’t compatible. My pump is picking up the transmitter within seconds so I’m going to go ahead and fit the CGM tomorrow. As a typical 26 year old it would of been nice to have the app on my phone but unless I’m doing something wrong it isn’t going to happen.

Haha I did exactly the same as you, her iPhone X and my crappy old iPhone 8 but neither worked, tomorrow will be my third attempt just because it would be nice to have.
Good luck with the startup tomorrow I’m around tomorrow so shout if you need any pointers I’ll drop in here a few times in the afternoon if

Haha I did exactly the same as you, her iPhone X and my crappy old iPhone 8 but neither worked, tomorrow will be my third attempt just because it would be nice to have.
Good luck with the startup tomorrow I’m around tomorrow so shout if you need any pointers I’ll drop in here a few times in the afternoon if

Cheers Paul, really appreciate it.

@Paulbreen Hi Paul, just woke for a toilet break & checked my question on the Medtronic Facebook page. Had a reply from a Medtronic ambassador over in a America who was quite rude but has given me the answers. Supposedly you don’t need the Medtronic guardian connect app & you only use the minimed mobile app. He went on to say the guardian connect app is only if your not using a pump. Personally I don’t understand how the transmitter knows if you’ve got a pump or not so decides it won’t link with the App but there you go

@Paulbreen Hi Paul, just woke for a toilet break & checked my question on the Medtronic Facebook page. Had a reply from a Medtronic ambassador over in a America who was quite rude but has given me the answers. Supposedly you don’t need the Medtronic guardian connect app & you only use the minimed mobile app. He went on to say the guardian connect app is only if your not using a pump. Personally I don’t understand how the transmitter knows if you’ve got a pump or not so decides it won’t link with the App but there you go
Sounds like it’s as clear as mud then lol, I have that on my phone too so I’ll have a play with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back