Preventing Type 2 ?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: this "Reverse Heredity" thingey ...

Isn't it just a case that diabetes in the earlier generations can be expressed after it has occured in the later ones? There is no reason why it has to run forwards all the time.

Andy

Hi

The problem with this Andy is that type 1 and 2 are being mixed up. If your child has type 1 it does not follow that the parent will get type 2 because of the child being type 1 which is what Peter is implying.

If the parent gets type 2 it is because they have the genetic make up passed down from their parents and lifestyle and possibly obesity thrown into the mix.

You cannot pass genetic make up the other way, it doesn't work like that. Plus 1 and 2 is very different.

Hi

The problem with this Andy is that type 1 and 2 are being mixed up. If your child has type 1 it does not follow that the parent will get type 2 because of the child being type 1 which is what Peter is implying.

If the parent gets type 2 it is because they have the genetic make up passed down from their parents and lifestyle and possibly obesity thrown into the mix.

You cannot pass genetic make up the other way, it doesn't work like that. Plus 1 and 2 is very different.

I agree! 🙂

But Zaphod Beeblebrox may have one or two things to say to the contrary! (Apparently, he was Zaphod Beeblebrox the first, his father was Zaphod Beeblebrox the second and his Grandfather was Zaphod Beeblebrox the third --> something to do with contraceptives and a time machine!!) :D

No ? I have no academic references to it now. As I explained earlier I was dxed Type 2 in 1992. I was particularly interested in the genetic background to diabetes being an historian and a genealogist and also because one of my great aunts was the first person to inject insulin way back in the 1920s/30s in town I come from.

In the mid nineties I went down the Central Libarary and the University Library and read up on the hereditary aspects of diabetes in the academic textbooks intended for Docs and Endos etc. A couple of them mentioned this rare aspect of familial T1 diabetes and there were references to research articles on particular families. God knows what the books and articles were called now fifteen years later. It was all in pre-internet days.

I was thinking at the time of doing a diabetic family tree ? getting all the death certificates for my rleatives going back as far as possoible amd possibly looking at old medical records if they were available. A possible ambitious further step would have been to obtain DNA samples from as many of the family group as possible to see if there were any patterns.

We always expect genetics to work in a forward motion ? grandparents/parents/grandchildren. It is counter intuitive to find that, in a small number of families, the genes express themselves in reverse order.

25% of Type 1 Diabetics are supposed to have family members with it as well, so most T1s probably haven?t got a genetic background anyway.

Peter I find it amazing that there are no- on line articles about Reverse heredity. As according to you it has been well researched. It also does not make any scientific sense at all! This is a totally implausible theory.
Both my mother who is a historian and has been involved in family history for over 35 years and my husband who has researched his own family history for the last 20 years have found no references to any such theories (or any relatives with diabetes if it comes to that). But then of course there were so few people actually diagnosed with type 1 diabetes because the condition was probably misdiagnosed as something else. Even today?s GPs will probably only diagnose one or two cases in their medical career. Going back a generation or two, when so many families lost a child before the age of 5, it is unlikely that the cause of death, if it was type 1, was ever diagnosed as such.
It is extremely likely that some of your ancestors had type 2 diabetes. This would be quite a reasonable assumption. However I don?t see what that?s got to do with your notion of "reverse hereditary?.

Re: this "Reverse Heredity" thingey ...

Isn't it just a case that diabetes in the earlier generations can be expressed after it has occured in the later ones? There is no reason why it has to run forwards all the time.

Andy

Hi Andy I cant quite follow what you are trying to say here. Not trying to be difficult but cant quite understand. Do you mean that if my daughter has type 1 diabetes its possible for me or my mother to be diagnosed with type 1? If that is what you are saying then of course this is possible and there is nothing odd or "reverse" about it at all. If I have the genetic predisposition to develop type 1 then this could happen at any time. I have identical twin girls and only 1 had type 1 diabetes. So its not down to genetics alone in type 1.

hate to say it, but t1 c an be totally random.

No one in my family had t1, I'm the only one in the family, as is the case with many other people out there. Of course, there is an increased liklihood that if you are t1 and have a child then your child MAY develope t1, but its not a certainty.

I do believe there has never been any solid evidence that type 1 diabetes is genetic.

Peter I find it amazing that there are no- on line articles about Reverse heredity. As according to you it has been well researched. It also does not make any scientific sense at all! This is a totally implausible theory.
Both my mother who is a historian and has been involved in family history for over 35 years and my husband who has researched his own family history for the last 20 years have found no references to any such theories (or any relatives with diabetes if it comes to that). But then of course there were so few people actually diagnosed with type 1 diabetes because the condition was probably misdiagnosed as something else. Even today?s GPs will probably only diagnose one or two cases in their medical career. Going back a generation or two, when so many families lost a child before the age of 5, it is unlikely that the cause of death, if it was type 1, was ever diagnosed as such.
It is extremely likely that some of your ancestors had type 2 diabetes. This would be quite a reasonable assumption. However I don?t see what that?s got to do with your notion of "reverse hereditary?.

Hi Nemo,

I think it is safe to say that in the absence of any evidence or reference material, this 'theory' quite simply doesnt not exist. I do understand that people get confused about the causes of type 1 and type 2 - but how you can come up with the 'reverse hereditary' theory is beyond me and quite frankly smacks of scaremongering. Parents of type 1 children have enough to worry about and this sort of thing just isnt really very helpful.:confused:🙂Bev

I hit the wrong button!! i had a beautiful post!! I'm so annoyed!

Ok , here we go again...This is mostly about probability

1)This is all i'm really gonna say about Type 1...coz this thread is about type 2 and the issues are confused enough as it is... What about the people who contracted Type 1 diabetes from the way thier bodies responded to an attack of Pancreatitis? Sure, the immune system is on some level genetic, but it's got to be pretty complicated. And you don't inhertit Pancreatitis from your parents, that's just random. There's got to be a lot of people out there who are genetically predisposed to diabetes but have been lucky enough not to contract pancretitis.

2)Diabetes is a medical condition, medical conditions are all about factors and probabilites. That's why indentical twins don't nessasarily get the same diseases. Sure there is a wide range of factors that increase or decrease the probability of a person contracting type 2 diabetes, and these include lifestyle, body fat distribution, what your ancestors did for a living and what weight you were at birth. Some of these are genetic, some arn't. In the end, there's an element of probability or luck (bad luck if you ask me....). That means that on a fundemental level, it's not your fault. There's always going to be some healthy, clean living, athletic folk with no family history of diabetes with type two. There's also going to be some unfit, couch potatoes (i hate that term....) with loads of diabetic relations who are luck enough never to contract it.

3)I'm going to ignore the "reverse genetics" theory, with all due respect, it sounds like the triumph of statistical analysis over science to me. No parent can inherit genes or genetic traits from thier offspring, not without some wierd Oedipal/Back to the Future business anyway...

4)Having said that, i'm pretty interested in the genetics and hereditary behind diabetes (both sorts). There's a history of diabetes in my family but it's skipped my parent's generation (so far). My parents arn't sporty, athletic types and thier diet is much the same as mine, after all, they taught it to me. There's another post in here somewhere, i may be back...

Ps. Adrienne, you do a super job looking after your little girl. I can't praise you enough. Well done on the weight loss.

Rachel

Ditto to Bev and anybody who looks after kids with diabetes. You make me realise how lucky i really am...I'm always amazed at how well kids cope with serious illness, i'm sure the parents should get more credit for that.

Peter I find it amazing that there are no- on line articles about Reverse heredity. .

Hi nemo,
well here is one research paper on the issue and it is called "Secondary Attack" diabetes. In this research the genes for T1 are clearly being expressed in children before the adults. So now we know the term to search for ..."Secondary Attack Diabetes"

"Secondary attack rate of type 1 diabetes in Colorado families.
Steck AK, Barriga KJ, Emery LM, Fiallo-Scharer RV, Gottlieb PA, Rewers MJ.

Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, 4200 East 9th Ave., Box B-140, Denver, CO 80262, USA. andrea.steck@uchsc.edu

OBJECTIVE: Families of children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes require counseling concerning type 1 diabetes risk in nondiabetic siblings and parents. No U.S. population-specific life-table risk estimates are currently available for parents, and those for siblings (2-6% by age 20 years) are based on family studies completed before 1987. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: We analyzed family histories of 1,586 patients in Colorado with type 1 diabetes (83% non-Hispanic white, 10% Hispanic, and 7% other) diagnosed before 16 years of age and interviewed during 1999-2002. Families of probands with type 2, undetermined, or secondary diabetes (n = 53) or those with incomplete data (n = 137) were excluded. The median age at onset of the proband was 7.1 years and the median diabetes duration 3.5 years. Cumulative risk estimates were calculated using survival analysis for 2,081 full siblings and 3,016 biological parents. RESULTS: In siblings, the overall risk of type 1 diabetes by age 20 years was 4.4%, but it was significantly (P < 0.0001) higher in siblings of probands diagnosed under age 7 years than in those diagnosed later. In parents, the overall risk by age 40 years was 2.6% and higher in fathers (3.6%) than in mothers (1.7%) of probands (P < 0.001). Similar to siblings, the risk was also higher (P = 0.006) in parents of probands diagnosed <7 years of age than in those diagnosed later. CONCLUSIONS: Current risks of type 1 diabetes in Colorado siblings and parents of type 1 diabetic probands are higher than in the 1982 Pittsburgh study but similar to contemporary European rates. Recurrence risk of type 1 diabetes is significantly higher in first-degree relatives of probands diagnosed at a young age."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15677782?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_SingleItemSupl.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Ok enough already. Some of us understand this clap trap but some of us don't and Peter, you are scaring them. You are a type 2 diabetic, what the hell are you doing scaring the parents of the type 1 children. Some of us can take this and read it for what it is, others, especially the newly diagnosed which can lead to depression in a parent, could be hugely affected by what you have started. Leave it alone.

Stick to your type 2 or better still please go away until you have decided how to post polite, meaningful, relevant messages. From what I can see you have done nothing but antagonise lots of people on this forum from day one. As far as I can see you have actually not contributed much, you have not started any threads, just pounced on others and sabotaged them.

I fully expect to be reprimanded as this is a personal email but enough is enough. You have already been banned once, did you not take heed and learn anything.

Can we please close this thread. This is all old research, this latest one that has been produced is 1987, over 20 years old and I'm sure there is newer stuff but why Peter has seen fit to bring it up at all is beyond me. We all know what can happen, we all know that anyone can get type 1 at any time and if it is in a family then we all know that the rest of the family could well have the 'make up' to also become type 1 at some point, this does not need spelling out by Peter.

I won't be posting on this thread anymore, it has become ridiculous. 😡

Hi Andy I cant quite follow what you are trying to say here. Not trying to be difficult but cant quite understand. Do you mean that if my daughter has type 1 diabetes its possible for me or my mother to be diagnosed with type 1? If that is what you are saying then of course this is possible and there is nothing odd or "reverse" about it at all. If I have the genetic predisposition to develop type 1 then this could happen at any time. I have identical twin girls and only 1 had type 1 diabetes. So its not down to genetics alone in type 1.

Yes, that is precisely what I meant. Having the predisposition to diabetes and then actually expressing it (i.e. it actually ocurring) are two separate things.

I was trying to say that it is perfectly reasonable for a younger generation to express it before an older one and that there is nothing "reverse" about it at all.

Oh, by the way, I must admit that I was talking more about Type 2 than Type 1. I am aware that Type 1 can occur for non-genetic reasons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
I had an argument with our old doctor. Note the use of the word 'old'.

He told me in the middle of a discussion that '.......when I get diabetes.....' I stopped him and said pardon and he repeated it. I told him that he obviously meant to say type 2 diabetes and he agreed. I also then told him that I may be overweight but it is not a guarantee that I will become type 2 diabetes. He said it most definitely was. I think he picked the wrong person to say that tooooo.
Idiot docs.

Actually if a person has a child with diabetesthey are at slightly increased risk of diabete themselves. There is a well known reverse hereditary aspect to diabetes - a child is dxed with diabetes , the family says we have no trace of it , then some years later an aunt, uncle or parent of the child is dxed with it themselves.At a later stage a grandparent is dxed as well and then the genetic track becomes evident.
REverse hereditary is a fascinating aspect of diabetes, and well researched.

Peter, the link you have given does NOT include type 2's in the research! Adrienne's point was that her doc told her she was likely to get type 2 - and you misinterpretted this as being that having a type 1 child somehow predisposes the parent to type 2 . Your research is NOT saying this! Your research link is talking about type 1's. We already know that siblings of a type 1 are at some risk - we are all told this on diagnosis.

I think you have confused yourself with type 1's and type 2's perhaps!🙂

To be clear, the fact that Jessica has type 1 diabetes does not mean that Adrienne is at risk of getting type 2 diabetes. The 'reverse hereditary' theory does not work like that. There is a very small risk (2% i think it said) that a parent can go on to get type 1 themselves - but not type 2.

Also I think you are forgetting that Jessica is not a 'normal' type 1 - she is type 1 by default as she had her pancreas removed at birth - so there really isnt a 'genetic link'. I think Northerner had pointed this out.🙂Bev

I was trying to say that it is perfectly reasonable for a younger generation to express it before an older one and that there is nothing "reverse" about it at all.

Thats exactly how i saw this ...

Adrienne thank you for your response , it was a calm, educated, response...only to be expected from a super mum like you and all other super parents and carers x

Peter ...playings devils advocate is fine it can promote heathly debate...But ONLY if your sources of evidence are accurate...re nice guideline comments in salmon puffs thread.
I have kept out of this because i know nothing about genetics and it was interesting..but simply copy and pasting a single souce of evidence is not sufficient especially as most of it is deliberately written in pompous lanuage to make it impossible to understand in plain english
yet again you have probably managed to get a thread closed

Hi nemo,
well here is one research paper on the issue and it is called "Secondary Attack" diabetes. In this research the genes for T1 are clearly being expressed in children before the adults. So now we know the term to search for ..."Secondary Attack Diabetes"

This study doesn?t have much to do with your original comments and nothing to do with a strange term Reverse Heredity. What you are talking about is just the normal hereditary process. Not ?reverse? but just the normal mechanism.
You first wrote: ?Actually if a person has a child with diabetesthey are at slightly increased risk of diabete themselves. There is a well known reverse hereditary aspect to diabetes - a child is dxed with diabetes , the family says we have no trace of it , then some years later an aunt, uncle or parent of the child is dxed with it themselves. At a later stage a grandparent is dxed as well and then the genetic track becomes evident.
REverse hereditary is a fascinating aspect of diabetes, and well researched.?

I think that you are using a very confusing term for normal heredity patterns and sending a confusing message to people.
Anyway, leaving aside whether or not you still think that type 2 family histories has any bearing on developing type 1, all this study says is what we all already knew. That, if you have a family member with type 1, there is risk of other family member developing type 1. However, this is the main point; the majority of people who develop type 1 do NOT have any other family members with the condition.
If one child in a family has type 1 diabetes, we know that other family members have a slightly higher risk of also developing type1 diabetes, than people with no family history of the condition. However it is only a very, very small number of relatives who go on to develop diabetes (I know this seems a harsh statistic to those families where there is more than one family member with the condition)
There are ongoing studies to look at the differences between the small number of relatives who go on to develop diabetes and the LARGE number who do not.
This might enable people to develop new interventions or treatment which could delay or prevent the onset of the condition.
All this study tells you is, that if a child is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at a very young age, and as we know more young children than before are being diagnosed with type 1 in the last 25 years, the more chance that family has of having another member of the family diagnosed with type 1. However the risk is still small. Also, it is known that the increase in the number of children with type is NOT down to genetic factors alone, because the increase in the number of children diagnosed with diabetes has happened to fast for it to be purely down to genetics. We don?t breed that quickly. We know that there are environmental reasons for the increase.
So, if a child or young person is diagnosed at 16 yrs old then that family has a lesser risk of having another relative diagnosed with type 1, than a family who has had a child diagnosed at 9 months old. This is not new information and has never been called Reverse Heredity which is nonsense term.
Your choice of terminology ?reverse heredity? has perhaps confused people into thinking you saying something different when its already documented that around 1 in 4 children who develop diabetes, has an a grandparent effected by a type of autoimmune diabetes. (not type 2) Children are also developing diabetes at an earlier age. But it is only 25% children with type 1 have a effected grandparent and so does not apply to the majority of children with type 1.

Be careful how you sell your message and the terminology that you use and your confusion with the etiology of the different types of diabetes.
Also, another fact. Even though type 1 or (Juvenile Diabetes) is often thought as a being a condition with develops mainly in childhood, type 1 diabetes occurs more frequently in adults than in children.

Yes, that is precisely what I meant. Having the predisposition to diabetes and then actually expressing it (i.e. it actually ocurring) are two separate things.

Oh, by the way, I must admit that I was talking more about Type 2 than Type 1. I am aware that Type 1 can occur for non-genetic reasons.

Thanks for clarifying

thank you for that post nemo ...this is all very interesting, especially that more children are being diagnosed. Could this because advances in medical technology over the last very short period of time had made diagnoses easier thus invervention and 'categorising' has become much easier ?

I know from previous threads that the goal posts for type2 have been moved over the years... i think the latest proposal is HbA1c of 6.5 please correct me if im wrong but i cant re check the thread. Thus no wonder the number of cases diagnosed has gone up !!

Last edited:
This study doesn?t have much to do with your original comments .

Hello again Nemo,

In reality the study I provided for you TAKES IT FOR GRANTED that what I commented on is True. If they didn't think having a child dxed with diabetes raises the parents own risk of it slightly, they wouldn't even have wasted time and money at Colorado University in 2003 trying to calculate the extra risk.

what are YOU actually saying peter based on this study? that reverse heredity is TRUE ..
or and i quote andyHB
'that it is perfectly reasonable for a younger generation to express it before an older one and that there is nothing "reverse" about it at all.'

Hello again Nemo,

In reality the study I provided for you TAKES IT FOR GRANTED that what I commented on is True. If they didn't think having a child dxed with diabetes raises the parents own risk of it slightly, they wouldn't even have wasted time and money at Colorado University in 2003 trying to calculate the extra risk.

Oh for heavens sake Peter, your wrong! You told us that a parent is at risk of developing type 2 diabetes if the child is type 1 (look back at your reply to Adriennes comment).

You have given us a link to a study that didnt even use type 2's in the research! What is it that your reading that we cant see? THE WHOLE STUDY IS ABOUT TYPE 1'S - no mention of type 2's at all or your theory of having a type 1 child in the family puts parents at risk of type 2!???😱

Please make sure you have the correct information before posting such inflammatory statements. Parents of diabetic children do enough worrying - without being given incorrect 'advice'. The fact that your link has nothing to do with your original claim beggars belief.🙄Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back