Preventing Type 2 ?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when you hear health proffesionals and such people say you can put yourself at risk of developing diabetes (type2) this is incorrect and what they actually mean is 'you can put yourself at risk of developing type2 diabetes only if you have the pre disposition'? is that right?

Yes Jimmysmum that is correct.

I am very very overweight and trying to lose weight for health ie asthma. I do not have type 2 and I am hoping to god that I do not have the 'make up' in me to become type 2. There is no diabetes 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 in my family at all, ever so am hoping I am not the first (Jessica is not a true type 1 by the way or a true diabetic in the sense of the word that everyone else on this site is).

🙂

Well you earn something new every day 🙂 i actually thought anybody could develop type 2. Thanks Adrienne.
I probably have the pre disposition as my nan has type 2 so its in the genes as it were and i generally get all the crappy parts of the genes (my under active thyroid from my gran etc) im not over weight though so fingers crossed! Although theres still time for the type 1 to rear its ugly head i suppose...

I find the suggestion that my type 2 diagnoses was only a matter of time due to my poor diet and excercise quite irritating and annoying.
Until I joined this forum I would probably have accepted it somewhat shame faced, but now I know better.
I have three direct line sibs, same parents and one half sib (different father), all are heavier than me (even at my worst) all did less excercise and with the exception of one, all were smokers. There is not one instance of D in any other member of my genetic line (or the half breed :D either) that I know of. I didn't start to put on weight until a knee injury stopped all the football and squash that I used to play. That happened when I was 38, until that point I was a fit, energetic, 14 and a half stone six foot lump of muscle.
The reason for this is simple, I was not going to turn out like my father, he was over weight and the only excercise he got was at work. I knew I was never going to be a complete slim Jim but I was determined I wasn't going to be as seriously over weight as my Dad.
When my knee problem kicked in I went from an active to a sedentiary life style. Did not modify my diet and put on approxiamatly 4 stone in the next 10years.
It took a heart scare at 48, to make me realise that major changes were required to my life so I started to lose weight, and as my heart condition was monitered it was discovered that I had D too.
Arguements can be made from my story both ways, lifestyle over genetics.
However I have since discovered that on the far side of my mums family there is D present, a great aunt and uncle both are type 2's. To my mind, this makes the case for genetics, period. Particularly as I was a fit and healthy example before the knee injury.
It doesn't make it any easier to deal with but at least I know it wasn't my "fault", I will take great exception with anyone who suggests otherwise.:D

It doesn't make it any easier to deal with but at least I know it wasn't my "fault", I will take great exception with anyone who suggests otherwise.:D

here here I agree.

Hiya Jimbo

I agree with you wholeheartedly. There is no clear cut reason re type 2. There are theories but in my view nothing completely clear cut.

My daughter's father has recently got type 2 and is diet controlled at the moment. His father, two uncles, grandfather, grandmother all were type 2, not all over weight but it clearly ran in his family. From what I knew of diabetes I did think he would eventually get type 2, it was likely due to his family history. However he was very overweight and I believe he got type 2 a lot earlier than he should have. He was 41 and he has lost stones and stones. So whilst I don't believe that obesity led him initially to have type 2, I believe it was in his make up but I do believe that for him his weight brought it on earlier than it would have done.

That is only my belief mind you. So for him it was like you ie genetics foremost then weight after.

If I was ever to get type 2, it would be weight foremost and my fault because I do not have it in my family anywhere !!😱 I am desparately trying to lose weight, one stone gone, loads more too go.

🙂

I find the suggestion that my type 2 diagnoses was only a matter of time due to my poor diet and excercise quite irritating and annoying.

I agree that diabetes is a genetic condition first (where it isn't a case of the pancreas being removed/damaged for other reasons). However, its onset is brought forward by poor diet and lifestyle.

I also agree that using the term "fault" is unhelpful and pointless, because as Adrienne points out, how the disease develops is quite variable.

But, don't think that just because you had a healthy lifestyle to start with and then let it slip that diabetes will just decide not to kick in! Life doesn't work that way! :D

I was very fit at the end of secondary school going into Uni. I used to play long sessions of squash, walk up mountains, cycle everywhere. But that didn't mean a thing by the time I was 45, overweight, eating irregularly and when I did eat it was full of fat and large portions.

Oh, one other thing, I keep banging on about it, but a recent article in the New Scientist made the suggestion that weight (or body fat specifically) isn't the cause of diabetes and other metabolic deseases. Excess body fat is, in fact, the body's way of protecting itself from fat. However, it can only keep doing this for a certain period of time before it simply can't cope with any additional fat in the diet. It is at this point that the fat spills over into the liver and other organs which then causes the various metabolic deseases to kick in. This then means that you can be fat and eating healthily and not develop diabetes. It also means that you can be thin and eating not so healthily and diabetes DOES kick in.

Last edited:
Discretion Bev & Steff, discretion! :D😉

Andy, I am capable of being discreet - I am just a little puzzled as to why my comment was taken off this thread, as I was only answering your question. As you are a relative newcomer and perhaps didnt know the background of why people are a little wary (sp?) of some comments that Peter makes and has made in the past, resulting in him being banned for 1 week at one point. He is quite knowlegable about lots of things , but sometimes has a way of putting his foot in it and upsetting people.:D

Peter, I would still like to know where you have read this 'theory' about 'reverse hereditary' as I have researched it some more and cant find any reference to it? I would be interested in any links you have on this subject. Thanks.🙂Bev

Andy, I am capable of being discreet - I am just a little puzzled as to why my comment was taken off this thread, as I was only answering your question. As you are a relative newcomer and perhaps didnt know the background of why people are a little wary (sp?) of some comments that Peter makes and has made in the past, resulting in him being banned for 1 week at one point. He is quite knowlegable about lots of things , but sometimes has a way of putting his foot in it and upsetting people.:D

Peter, I would still like to know where you have read this 'theory' about 'reverse hereditary' as I have researched it some more and cant find any reference to it? I would be interested in any links you have on this subject. Thanks.🙂Bev

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to who said what. I just assumed that the person who replied to my question had simply removed it. I didn't remember that it was you! 🙂

Type 1 diabetes and heredity

Actually if a person has a child with diabetesthey are at slightly increased risk of diabete themselves. There is a well known reverse hereditary aspect to diabetes - a child is dxed with diabetes , the family says we have no trace of it , then some years later an aunt, uncle or parent of the child is dxed with it themselves.At a later stage a grandparent is dxed as well and then the genetic track becomes evident.
REverse hereditary is a fascinating aspect of diabetes, and well researched.

Peter can you send a link to an article explaining *reverse heredity*.

Most people who are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes have NO other family member with the condition. Though there are certainly families where several members of the family have type 1. This is not the norm.

only 13% of Children and young people who develop type 1 have a parent of sibling with diabetes. The risk of developing diabetes by the age of 30 for a first degree relative is only between 3% and 10%.

We don?t know what causes type 1 diabetes. We know that it is not caused by genetics alone, because of the huge increase in the number of people developing type 1 diabetes. The increase in the number of people with type 1 in such a short time span, proves that there is an environmental cause rather heredity.

Peter can you send a link to an article explaining *reverse heredity*.

No ? I have no academic references to it now. As I explained earlier I was dxed Type 2 in 1992. I was particularly interested in the genetic background to diabetes being an historian and a genealogist and also because one of my great aunts was the first person to inject insulin way back in the 1920s/30s in town I come from.

In the mid nineties I went down the Central Libarary and the University Library and read up on the hereditary aspects of diabetes in the academic textbooks intended for Docs and Endos etc. A couple of them mentioned this rare aspect of familial T1 diabetes and there were references to research articles on particular families. God knows what the books and articles were called now fifteen years later. It was all in pre-internet days.

I was thinking at the time of doing a diabetic family tree ? getting all the death certificates for my rleatives going back as far as possoible amd possibly looking at old medical records if they were available. A possible ambitious further step would have been to obtain DNA samples from as many of the family group as possible to see if there were any patterns.

I never got round to doing the project ? lack of time, lack of funds, a huge number of relatives and some of the death certificates are disappointing ? they just give the proximate cause of death (heart attack, stroke etc ) when you know those individuals were probably diabetic as well.

Anyway anyone interested in this rare aspect of diabetes would probably need to do the same as I did ? leg it down to an academic library and get the kosher academic textbooks out.

We always expect genetics to work in a forward motion ? grandparents/parents/grandchildren. It is counter intuitive to find that, in a small number of families, the genes express themselves in reverse order.

25% of Type 1 Diabetics are supposed to have family members with it as well, so most T1s probably haven?t got a genetic background anyway.

hi my mother in law she has been diagnosed last year with t2 and she is not fat at all i can say that she is under weight her and her husband they move to spain for a better lifestyle obviously didnt work

Last edited:
No ? I have no academic references to it now. As I explained earlier I was dxed Type 2 in 1992. I was particularly interested in the genetic background to diabetes being an historian and a genealogist and also because one of my great aunts was the first person to inject insulin way back in the 1920s/30s in town I come from.

In the mid nineties I went down the Central Libarary and the University Library and read up on the hereditary aspects of diabetes in the academic textbooks intended for Docs and Endos etc. A couple of them mentioned this rare aspect of familial T1 diabetes and there were references to research articles on particular families. God knows what the books and articles were called now fifteen years later. It was all in pre-internet days.

I was thinking at the time of doing a diabetic family tree ? getting all the death certificates for my rleatives going back as far as possoible amd possibly looking at old medical records if they were available. A possible ambitious further step would have been to obtain DNA samples from as many of the family group as possible to see if there were any patterns.

I never got round to doing the project ? lack of time, lack of funds, a huge number of relatives and some of the death certificates are disappointing ? they just give the proximate cause of death (heart attack, stroke etc ) when you know those individuals were probably diabetic as well.

Anyway anyone interested in this rare aspect of diabetes would probably need to do the same as I did ? leg it down to an academic library and get the kosher academic textbooks out.

We always expect genetics to work in a forward motion ? grandparents/parents/grandchildren. It is counter intuitive to find that, in a small number of families, the genes express themselves in reverse order.

25% of Type 1 Diabetics are supposed to have family members with it as well, so most T1s probably haven?t got a genetic background anyway.

I would suggest that this is now old hat and new books say new things, research has developed and new reference books written online and in libraries.

If a child has type 1 diabetes then one of the parents will have passed on the genes which might make that child more susceptible to developing type 1 and other autoimmune conditions. Many people have these gene types. However most people who are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes have NO other family member with the condition.

Type 1 can run in some families in some cases, as we know, but this is not common. We don?t know what causes type 1 diabetes. We know that it is not caused by genetics alone, because of the huge increase in the number of people developing type 1 diabetes. The increase in the number of people with type 1 in such a short time span proves that there is an environmental cause rather hereditary. There has not been time for this to be down to hereditary causes

Type 2 diabetes has a completely different cause and if one?s parents, brothers, sisters, granny, Uncle Tom Cobberly etc have type 2 diabetes then family members will be at increased risk of developing type 2.

In identical twins there is a 50% -60% concordance rate for type 1 . However if an identical twin has type 2 diabetes the concordance rate is almost 100%

However its not impossible for someone to have type 1 diabetes but also inherit genes from a parents which has type 2, which would make them at risk from developing problems associated with both conditions.

If a child has type 1 then that does not make the parent more susceptible to get type 2, different genes for a start !

Actually if a person has a child with diabetesthey are at slightly increased risk of diabete themselves. There is a well known reverse hereditary aspect to diabetes - a child is dxed with diabetes , the family says we have no trace of it , then some years later an aunt, uncle or parent of the child is dxed with it themselves.At a later stage a grandparent is dxed as well and then the genetic track becomes evident.
REverse hereditary is a fascinating aspect of diabetes, and well researched.

Thankyou for your explanation Peter.🙂
So it seems that this 'well known reverse hereditary' aspect to diabetes is not so well known. As far as i know all medical documentation that is aimed at both docs and endo's alike has all been transferred to the internet and taken people many hours to do. It is odd that your particular books of reference have disappeared.😱

I have to admit that I was slightly concerned as being the parent of a type 1 child, obviously your 'theory' led me to believe that we were all set to develop diabetes! It is good to know that this doesnt seem to be the case, like Adrienne said - things have moved on and research is such that any reference to this 'reverse hereditary' would most certainly be found on the interent if it existed.:DBev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back