Prepert

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much is a very important question and it can very from person to person but the general recommendation is to eat/drink 15g worth of fast acting carbs and then test again 15 mins later. If you are still not above 4, then eat/drink another 15g worth of carbs and test again in another 15 mins. Once your levels are above 4, then have 10-15g of slower acting carbs like a slice of wholemeal bread and butter or toast or a wholemeal biscuit like a digestive. or a couple of crackers with some cheese.

15g carbs is usually about 4 glucose tablets or 3 jelly babies or Haribo sweets. Not sure how much cola. Hopefully someone else can tell you that...

For Cola a small can of 150ml will work in bringing up blood glucose for most diabetics

About 160ml coke

If there is too much insulin in your system then you may need to treat it again, if not above 4 after 15 minutes have another 15g fast acting carbs

I know you will but please try to keep yourself awake until your blood glucose is at a safe level

Sorry I have to go and get something to eat now but please let us know when you've managed to get your bloods back up

Have you tested again Beccy?

Good to hear your levels are now above 4. It will likely come up a lot more soon with all those carbs you have eaten/drank.
It really is best to be quite structured and disciplined about treating hypos other wise you have too many carbs and then your levels go too high and you end up always being too high or too low and spending very little time on the good readings in the middle. I have my hypo treatments portioned out so that I only take enough (15g), then I wait 15 mins and test and if I am still not above 4 then I take a second portion (usually 3 glucose tablets or jelly babies) and then test again 15 mins later. It is very very rare that I need a second treatment. If 1.5dl of cola is 15g then 5dl is going to be 50g carbs plus the cookies will probably be 10g carbs each minimum so that is 60g carbs, plus the cola and cookie you had before that which sounded like it was another 40g carbs. That is an awful lot of carbs to treat a hypo and suggests that you must have got an earlier insulin dose badly wrong.
When did you last inject some insulin and what was it?
Do you keep notes like a diary, of your BG results, how much insulin you inject and then what you ate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back