Perpetually hungry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice you have lost weight . well done. Did you lose it on the shake diet. I'm contemplating buying some but hubby is not keen . I think
mainly as going back on food after will be hard.
Also on holiday we will have b and b but unsure the sausages will be Heck ie 97% so would you eat those. Bacon is processed too so I don't know. Last time we ate bfast out all i had was a piece of bacon and egg as no toast, hash browns . beans or sausage allowed.
It get that cheese is good but im now anxious as DN let me away with no statins as i want yo see that this Jardiance works good alone. i do get inna state over meds as so many don’t help me
The weightloss was entirely effortless, and I didn't even think about it until my clothes started to slide south.
I went on holiday last week and when I pulled up the bonnet of the camper van to set the immobiliser I had to be careful as I was wearing my camping clothes and they proved to be too big around the waist. I refuse to count calories any longer - it doesn't work for me.
I eat chops with mushrooms or stirfry, or steak or some leftovers from the previous day's dinner - I do have tuna salad - I have the whole tin - the small ones, but all of it. I like egg and cheese with salad too - my cholesterol has reduced from its highest level and is stable now. As cholesterol is not absorbed from food but apparently made by our livers, all the fuss about low fat seems to have been very wrong anyway.
If you don't want to take statins just tell the nurse - I think that a lot of the facts appearing in the last decade or so are finally getting through now.
Sausages are usually fine - if you go out to eat just order what you want and decline what is not on the low carb list. I think the last time I had breakfast out I had mushrooms along with the sausages, bacon and eggs. Bacon is preserved - not processed, and like most of my family I put it in hot water for a minute or so to remove the salt and other soluble chemicals, then sieve it out and fry as normal - but eating it as it comes is probably not all that drastic if it only once in a while.

By the way - I was almost spherical after sticking to the high carb diet my GP wanted me on - I can do that both legs in one half of the trousers trick with what I was wearing at diagnosis even though I have never restricted the amounts I put on my plate ever since that appointment, only avoiding what would increase my blood glucose.

It's hip to be
The weightloss was entirely effortless, and I didn't even think about it until my clothes started to slide south.
I went on holiday last week and when I pulled up the bonnet of the camper van to set the immobiliser I had to be careful as I was wearing my camping clothes and they proved to be too big around the waist. I refuse to count calories any longer - it doesn't work for me.
I eat chops with mushrooms or stirfry, or steak or some leftovers from the previous day's dinner - I do have tuna salad - I have the whole tin - the small ones, but all of it. I like egg and cheese with salad too - my cholesterol has reduced from its highest level and is stable now. As cholesterol is not absorbed from food but apparently made by our livers, all the fuss about low fat seems to have been very wrong anyway.
If you don't want to take statins just tell the nurse - I think that a lot of the facts appearing in the last decade or so are finally getting through now.
Sausages are usually fine - if you go out to eat just order what you want and decline what is not on the low carb list. I think the last time I had breakfast out I had mushrooms along with the sausages, bacon and eggs. Bacon is preserved - not processed, and like most of my family I put it in hot water for a minute or so to remove the salt and other soluble chemicals, then sieve it out and fry as normal - but eating it as it comes is probably not all that drastic if it only once in a while.
Thank you . i think as i am on this Diabetes UK diet im possibly overthinking. im not a great fish or meat eater im rather eating it to get protein in . a small tin and id gag . Even bacon i force on Cheese well cheddar i am loving as it is good but it must put fat into the liver. i eat eggs like almost everyday in some meal .
Id love to know i was at ease with this. I've ordered books at the library to give me more ideas
Stealing yours what veg is allowed stir fry? i d use mushrooms peppers green beans mange tout . but my usual sweetcorn, chick peas, peas, carrotts would be high.

I'm a totally obsessive food monster - that's how I found myself in the T2 diabetic dilemma but since starting the low carb way of eating (not a diet), I can honestly say I've never felt hungry. To be honest, I don't actually think I've been what you would call properly hungry in years and I ate mainly out of habit.

Yes, there is also a massive amount of willpower involved. It's not just about low carb, it's also about cutting out all the other processed crap, like takeaways, crisps and chocolate but, for me at least, my motivations to keep going have been, not wanting to feel as poorly as I did this time last year, being able to buy clothes in 'normal' shops, living longer and generally just feeling better about myself.

You need to work out what your motivators are to staying / getting healthy. Getting your head in the right place will help too. Run your own race (as they say), don't fret about what everyone else in the house is eating. Keep a diary for yourself and track your food intake. This will give you control and you can easily see where extra calories may be slipping in. If, like me, going low carb isn't enough and you have to monitor calories as well to lose weight, a food diary is invaluable.

Keep going, good luck.

I'm a totally obsessive food monster - that's how I found myself in the T2 diabetic dilemma but since starting the low carb way of eating (not a diet), I can honestly say I've never felt hungry. To be honest, I don't actually think I've been what you would call properly hungry in years and I ate mainly out of habit.

Yes, there is also a massive amount of willpower involved. It's not just about low carb, it's also about cutting out all the other processed crap, like takeaways, crisps and chocolate but, for me at least, my motivations to keep going have been, not wanting to feel as poorly as I did this time last year, being able to buy clothes in 'normal' shops, living longer and generally just feeling better about myself.

You need to work out what your motivators are to staying / getting healthy. Getting your head in the right place will help too. Run your own race (as they say), don't fret about what everyone else in the house is eating. Keep a diary for yourself and track your food intake. This will give you control and you can easily see where extra calories may be slipping in. If, like me, going low carb isn't enough and you have to monitor calories as well to lose weight, a food diary is invaluable.

Keep going, good luck.
Sound advice. ive mainly beennusing tge app so a food diary will be a good way of moving forward.
I think you kicked it on the head when you say do it for yourself.
i've very little to motivate me , apart from wearing normal clothes but that will be a long way yet.
Still 4 kg down and id gained a lot more so it was more but since the nurse recorded it a year ago. So its a start there.
So food diary and keep going .

Thank you . i think as i am on this Diabetes UK diet im possibly overthinking. im not a great fish or meat eater im rather eating it to get protein in . a small tin and id gag . Even bacon i force on Cheese well cheddar i am loving as it is good but it must put fat into the liver. i eat eggs like almost everyday in some meal .
Id love to know i was at ease with this. I've ordered books at the library to give me more ideas
Stealing yours what veg is allowed stir fry? i d use mushrooms peppers green beans mange tout . but my usual sweetcorn, chick peas, peas, carrotts would be high.
Must put fat into the liver?
But to get fatty liver, eat carbohydrate - that is how it works.
Think of pate de foie gras - the geese are stuffed with corn mash.
Yes, grain and legumes are high carb - I buy the frozen stirfry from lidl, there are three sorts I think, but I only by the two lowest carb options. The moisture content can be rather variable, so if I get one which is particularly wet I sieve it and add back a little of the liquid during cooking to keep it moist. I think they are called Italian and Asian, the two I get. It makes cooking simple to always have them in the freezer.

It's a good way of thinking doing it for yourself. I would go further and suggest it's the only way to think. And actually once you're doing it for yourself, you are in a better position to help others.

Guess I will -need to find Lidl we have an Aldi but will look into Tesco or Waitrose they must do similar Will check online see what im looking for. That would make life easy as i just love stir fry.

I am pretty sure all the supermarkets will do frozen packs of stir fry veg and you just avoid the ones with the obvious higher carb ingredients like sweetcorn and peas etc. The Lidl ones 'Drummer mentioned, recommend you cook from frozen but I found I ended up with a whole load of liquid in the pan as they cooked that I had to boil off and as a result it was all overcooked and soggy, so I think it may be best to thaw, drain and cook. Cooking after thawing will also save cooking time and therefore gas or electric.

If you have a stir fry and are hungry 3 hours later, have another one. Don't limit yourself to 3 meals a day if you are hungry, have more, but just keep the carbs down. Exercise is an important part of the equation with hunger though, as exercise can actually suppress it, so if you can do a bit of exercise too that will really help and it doesn't have to be anything strenuous.

I am pretty sure all the supermarkets will do frozen packs of stir fry veg and you just avoid the ones with the obvious higher carb ingredients like sweetcorn and peas etc. The Lidl ones 'Drummer mentioned, recommend you cook from frozen but I found I ended up with a whole load of liquid in the pan as they cooked that I had to boil off and as a result it was all overcooked and soggy, so I think it may be best to thaw, drain and cook. Cooking after thawing will also save cooking time and therefore gas or electric.

If you have a stir fry and are hungry 3 hours later, have another one. Don't limit yourself to 3 meals a day if you are hungry, have more, but just keep the carbs down. Exercise is an important part of the equation with hunger though, as exercise can actually suppress it, so if you can do a bit of exercise too that will really help and it doesn't have to be anything strenuous.
yes, it will be a good standby. i have some veg in the garden and we go to the market so a lot will be fresh .
Interesting you would eat again. i might try alittle supper if igetto feeling i cant as it probably will help me sleep.

yes, it will be a good standby. i have some veg in the garden and we go to the market so a lot will be fresh .
Interesting you would eat again. i might try alittle supper if igetto feeling i cant as it probably will help me sleep.
We are all saying the same.... there is no reason why you should go hungry. You clearly enjoy veg and it is good for you so no reason why you can't fill up on it when you are hungry. What I would not do is use one of these low calorie spray oils for your stir fry, but use a good dollop of coconut oil or meat fat or olive oil. It is the fat which will stop you feeling hungry and provide energy.

You mentioned you don't like meat much but you have it for protein...If you don't use it already, you could try some tofu. Is low carb and full of protein, not everyone likes it but can be a good option when you are tired of eggs, for example. It works well in stir fry too. I agree with frozen vegetables being convenient, I cook only for me so these frozen mixes allow me to have more variety of veg at home without the worry of them going bad. I liked the Italian stir fry from Lidl but surely Aldi or other supermarket will have options.

I found that the moisture content of the Lidl stirfries varies a lot, with some being dry and others swimming, so I just use a sieve when necessary, add in some butter, then as I am cooking I return a little of the juice to the pan as it dries out. There are flavourings in the juice so I strain it over a jug rather than lose it down the sink.

However i cant eat too much or i dont lose the weight.
That’s not quite true. The more accurate statement is you can’t eat too much of the wrong things. And for a type 2 that’s sugars and starches ie carbs.

If you only want a little meat have more eggs, add cheese.

Jardiance (emplagflozin) works by helping you pee out excess glucose rather than keep it in the blood. So it does lower blood glucose but it doesn’t make you hypo (go too low) on its own except in very rare cases (like Metformin). Its biggest side effect is increased uti’s or thrush. Also as an sglt2 medication it means you can’t cut carbs too much as there is a small risk that you can develop euglycemic dka (Ie high ketones with normal blood glucose instead of the high glucose seen in dka more typically). The typical advice is not to go below 130g. 130g is still way more than many type 2 can cope with though. So if you want to manage it with a low carb diet then this medication doesn’t sit well with that. https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/jardiance-work-3541145/

Last edited:
That’s not quite true. The more accurate statement is you can’t eat too much of the wrong things. And for a type 2 that’s sugars and starches ie carbs.

If you only want a little meat have more eggs, add cheese.

Jardiance (emplagflozin) works by helping you pee out excess glucose rather than keep it in the blood. So it does lower blood glucose but it doesn’t make you hypo (go too low) on its own except in very rare cases (like Metformin). Its biggest side effect is increased uti’s or thrush. Also as an sglt2 medication it means you can’t cut carbs too much as there is a small risk that you can develop euglycemic dka (Ie high ketones with normal blood glucose instead of the high glucose seen in dka more typically). The typical advice is not to go below 130g. 130g is still way more than many type 2 can cope with though. So if you want to manage it with a low carb diet then this medication doesn’t sit well with that. https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/jardiance-work-3541145/
I asked the nurse so its on her she said it was fine on the low carb. I am not n mega low carb but would not want to go up to 130g. Whatever we take makes us suffer.

Yes , I am overweight.
Yes, I do exercise and watch what I eat.
Is there anyone else that is willing to admit that once they start eating it is difficult to stop feeling hungry?
If you have got through this how did you succeed to win , what feels like the never ending battle?
This has not happened overnight it has gone on for many years.
Every new diet try of something is always the same.....
Just need ideas to carry on. It really gets me down.
I’ve had the odd time when I feel hungry, I have some little cheeses, snack sized things in fridge. I have one or two and that stopped the grumbling

I’ve had the odd time when I feel hungry, I have some little cheeses, snack sized things in fridge. I have one or two and that stopped the grumbling
Yes, i have done this today and it helps. I have just cut a slice of the cheese block. Those snack ones sound like a good idea. Although snacking was not advised. If my weight goes up ill see.

I’ve bought ‘fresh’ stir fry bags and added in a few veg of my own.
sounds like a good plan. I have been using the recipes on the diet app . Time to try myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back