Newly Diagnosed - Given Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.
BG levels rise and fall naturally (and continuously in a never ending cycle) in the bodies closed loop system. So, for example, doing a finger prick test every 2 minutes for a hour can show a beautiful and possibly sinusoidal (?) or a slightly different shaped repeated pattern of higher to lower and back to higher to lower .... (repeated) BG levels (not witstanding the BG meters/test strips own tolerances too) . So a slightly higher BG level on waking or at any other time after not eating for hours may just show the normal bodies system tackling BG but being at the top of the curve before the bodies natural insulin system kicks in to bring it down.

If you are worried, wait 10 minutes and test again. Mind you different people will kick in with the bodies natural insulin response at different rates. Mine seem to go from high to low (or low to high) on a continuous 10 minute cycle.

Last edited:
BG levels rise and fall naturally (and continuously in a never ending cycle) in the bodies closed loop system. So, for example, doing a finger prick test every 2 minutes for a hour can show a beautiful and possibly sinusoidal (?) or a slightly different shaped repeated pattern of higher to lower and back to higher to lower .... (repeated) BG levels (not witstanding the BG meters/test strips own tolerances too) . So a slightly higher BG level on waking or at any other time after not eating for hours may just show the normal bodies system tackling BG but being at the top of the curve before the bodies natural insulin system kicks in to bring it down.

If you are worried, wait 10 minutes and test again. Mind you different people will kick in with the bodies natural insulin response at different rates. Mine seem to go from high to low (or low to high) on a continuous 10 minute cycle.
I tested again Gwynn, it was 7.5 so higher.. Was expecting lower.. I've a lot to learn.

Last edited:
Ahh, yes you have to be prepared for that. It doesn't always go the way you want. Sorry if I raised your expectations. I have checked and rechecked on very rare occasions up to 4 times.

I tested again Gwynn, it was 7.5 so higher.. Was expecting lower.. I've a lot to learn.
Morning blood glucose can often be higher than you would imagine it should be from not eating overnight but that is when the liver tries to be super helpful and releases glucose into your system to give you energy for the morning. So any pottering about can increase your level so many test before they even get out of bed. You will probably see people refer to Foot on the Floor syndrome or Dawn Phenomenon, this is a big thing for some of those on insulin as they have to correct for the early morning rise. For most of Type 2s there is not a lot you can do about it.
Nevertheless morning readings are often the last to come down so 7mmol/l is not too bad.

Morning blood glucose can often be higher than you would imagine it should be from not eating overnight but that is when the liver tries to be super helpful and releases glucose into your system to give you energy for the morning. So any pottering about can increase your level so many test before they even get out of bed. You will probably see people refer to Foot on the Floor syndrome or Dawn Phenomenon, this is a big thing for some of those on insulin as they have to correct for the early morning rise. For most of Type 2s there is not a lot you can do about it.
Nevertheless morning readings are often the last to come down so 7mmol/l is not too bad.
That’s really helpful. As I don’t take anything I suppose it ‘s going to fluctuate a lot for a while.

This morning my BG is 7. That seems at the high end considering it was lower last night. What should I be aiming for first thing in the morning? You mentioned 4 - 7 before meals but I honestly thought after not eating all night it would be lower.I’m hoping it ok!!

Firstly, don't lose sight of the fact that you have been diagnosed diabetic and you won't fix that overnight so whilst you are only just over the threshold into diabetes territory, your levels will be at the higher end of that range or slightly above sometimes for a few weeks until the steps you have taken with your diet and hopefully exercise will start to take effect, so don't be deflated or anxious about that 7 or 7.5, they just indicate what we already know which is that you have diabetes, but you are taking steps to deal with that, so these readings are just charting the start of your journey. I would anticipate that in a few weeks/months you are getting 6s or hopefully 5s for your morning reading as the lifestyle changes take effect. Morning readings are usually the last to come down into better numbers, so don't be disheartened, you will start to see this slowly come down over weeks not a couple of days. My readings were mid teens when I started and sometimes higher, so think yourself lucky you are getting 7s to start. If you were much lower you wouldn't be diabetic.

As has been mentioned there are a lot more things that impact BG than just the food we eat, so it rises and falls throughout the day and night in response to something like 42 different factors, some of which you have control over but many that you don't. Food, exercise and medication are almost certainly the main players which have most impact and you have control over those, so don't worry about the rest. The medication you were offered (Metformin) has pretty minimal effect, so don't spare that any great concern in your case and just focus on the food and exercise.

The reason why we recommend people test just before eating and then 2 hours afterwards is to try to isolate the response we have to that food from other factors which might be changing our levels throughout the day. So, say you wake up at 7am and test before you get out of bed and get a 6.2 and then get up and get washed and dressed and get a coffee and sit down to breakfast half an hour later, your levels might have risen to 7.5 or even 8 by then due to your liver releasing glucose into your blood stream to give you energy to start your day. This is believed to date back to prehistoric times when we had to hunt and/or gather our first meal of the day and without that glucose release we wouldn't have the energy to do so and would quickly starve. Of course it takes very little energy to walk into the kitchen and open a few cupboards and the fridge, so that glucose release on a morning is a bit of a pain for us diabetics, because we are not balancing it properly with insulin and storing it for later. If you were not diabetic your body pancreas would get a message from your liver to say you need to ramp up insulin production to deal with this and your cells would respond to the insulin and store it for later, so your BG levels wouldn't rise, but because this system is faulty at the moment, your levels rise on a morning. This may start in the early hours as it starts to get light at this time of year which is called Dawn Phenomenon or when you get out of bed and stand upright (Foot On The Floor Syndrome). As your body's insulin balance systems improve and your diabetes "gets better" you will see this effect reduce because your body is coping again and your morning levels will come down to more normal numbers in the 4s and 5s.

Anyway, what I am saying is that readings in the 7s at the moment are to be expected because they just tell us what we already know, which is that you are diabetic, but if you stick at the lifestyle changes you can reasonably expect those levels to slowly come down over the next few weeks and months bit by bit. There will be days when they might be a bit higher and days when they are slightly lower because of those other factors which we have little or no control over, but the overall trend will be downwards, so next week you might get the odd reading in the 6s and the week after that you might get most readings in the 6s but the odd 7 and gradually the 7s will be more rare and you will start to see the odd 5. It takes time for your body to heal, but as long as you are generally heading in the right direction, what you are doing is working and you are well on your way.
I am sure you will have experienced the same with weight loss. You might lose weight for a couple of days and then be static or put on half a pound for no obvious reason and then drop again.....Try not to get hung up on the slight blips when it goes in the wrong direction and look at the longer term picture of overall reduction over weeks rather than days.

Firstly, don't lose sight of the fact that you have been diagnosed diabetic and you won't fix that overnight so whilst you are only just over the threshold into diabetes territory, your levels will be at the higher end of that range or slightly above sometimes for a few weeks until the steps you have taken with your diet and hopefully exercise will start to take effect, so don't be deflated or anxious about that 7 or 7.5, they just indicate what we already know which is that you have diabetes, but you are taking steps to deal with that, so these readings are just charting the start of your journey. I would anticipate that in a few weeks/months you are getting 6s or hopefully 5s for your morning reading as the lifestyle changes take effect. Morning readings are usually the last to come down into better numbers, so don't be disheartened, you will start to see this slowly come down over weeks not a couple of days. My readings were mid teens when I started and sometimes higher, so think yourself lucky you are getting 7s to start. If you were much lower you wouldn't be diabetic.

As has been mentioned there are a lot more things that impact BG than just the food we eat, so it rises and falls throughout the day and night in response to something like 42 different factors, some of which you have control over but many that you don't. Food, exercise and medication are almost certainly the main players which have most impact and you have control over those, so don't worry about the rest. The medication you were offered (Metformin) has pretty minimal effect, so don't spare that any great concern in your case and just focus on the food and exercise.

The reason why we recommend people test just before eating and then 2 hours afterwards is to try to isolate the response we have to that food from other factors which might be changing our levels throughout the day. So, say you wake up at 7am and test before you get out of bed and get a 6.2 and then get up and get washed and dressed and get a coffee and sit down to breakfast half an hour later, your levels might have risen to 7.5 or even 8 by then due to your liver releasing glucose into your blood stream to give you energy to start your day. This is believed to date back to prehistoric times when we had to hunt and/or gather our first meal of the day and without that glucose release we wouldn't have the energy to do so and would quickly starve. Of course it takes very little energy to walk into the kitchen and open a few cupboards and the fridge, so that glucose release on a morning is a bit of a pain for us diabetics, because we are not balancing it properly with insulin and storing it for later. If you were not diabetic your body pancreas would get a message from your liver to say you need to ramp up insulin production to deal with this and your cells would respond to the insulin and store it for later, so your BG levels wouldn't rise, but because this system is faulty at the moment, your levels rise on a morning. This may start in the early hours as it starts to get light at this time of year which is called Dawn Phenomenon or when you get out of bed and stand upright (Foot On The Floor Syndrome). As your body's insulin balance systems improve and your diabetes "gets better" you will see this effect reduce because your body is coping again and your morning levels will come down to more normal numbers in the 4s and 5s.

Anyway, what I am saying is that readings in the 7s at the moment are to be expected because they just tell us what we already know, which is that you are diabetic, but if you stick at the lifestyle changes you can reasonably expect those levels to slowly come down over the next few weeks and months bit by bit. There will be days when they might be a bit higher and days when they are slightly lower because of those other factors which we have little or no control over, but the overall trend will be downwards, so next week you might get the odd reading in the 6s and the week after that you might get most readings in the 6s but the odd 7 and gradually the 7s will be more rare and you will start to see the odd 5. It takes time for your body to heal, but as long as you are generally heading in the right direction, what you are doing is working and you are well on your way.
I am sure you will have experienced the same with weight loss. You might lose weight for a couple of days and then be static or put on half a pound for no obvious reason and then drop again.....Try not to get hung up on the slight blips when it goes in the wrong direction and look at the longer term picture of overall reduction over weeks rather than days.
Wow. What a fabulous and informed response. Thank you. It’s so helpful and reassuring and I shall keep referring to it throughout the coming weeks! Thanks!!!

I got my Navii today… I tested my blood, it was 5.7. I had 4 squares of dark chocolate about an hour and a half ago. I think this is a good reading. I’m not taking meds as you know so I’m hoping it’s all ok. Will check again after my evening meal. It says after meals it needs to be less than 8.5 so I’m hoping to stay within that range. If I was taking the metformin, would this reading be lower? I’m not quite sure how it all works!
I’ve just got my Navii too and my level was 7.6 just now, I haven’t eaten since last night and was very Unwell yesterday with ?aches all over/ exhausted and headache so not sure if this affects my results but I don’t think that level is very good, I’m not on meds either, will recheck after lunch and see what happens

I’ve just got my Navii too and my level was 7.6 just now, I haven’t eaten since last night and was very Unwell yesterday with ?aches all over/ exhausted and headache so not sure if this affects my results but I don’t think that level is very good, I’m not on meds either, will recheck after lunch and see what happens
The explanation from @rebrascora perhaps fits your result but being unwell will also affect blood glucose levels.
Rather than randomly testing it would be better to have an established routine as that will give you better information on which to make dietary changes. For example first thing in the morning before you get out of bed, then you can start testing before and 2 hours after some of your meals, so maybe choose breakfast for a few days, then lunch, then dinner. by which time you should be able to build up a repertoire of meals which are OK for you and then you would only need to test something new or if you feel unwell. Many still do a morning reading so they can see progress day to day or week to week and once you get your meal readings good you should see improvement in those.

I've just done mine again 2 hours after food and it was 6.1. Still a bit high really but I suppose we need to see where we are in a few months rather than days or even weeks.

6.1 is not high.

Agreed.... 6.1 is a fantastic reading for 2 hours after a meal. you obviously had something that your body could easily cope with. Well done!

The explanation from @rebrascora perhaps fits your result but being unwell will also affect blood glucose levels.
Rather than randomly testing it would be better to have an established routine as that will give you better information on which to make dietary changes. For example first thing in the morning before you get out of bed, then you can start testing before and 2 hours after some of your meals, so maybe choose breakfast for a few days, then lunch, then dinner. by which time you should be able to build up a repertoire of meals which are OK for you and then you would only need to test something new or if you feel unwell. Many still do a morning reading so they can see progress day to day or week to week and once you get your meal readings good you should see improvement in those.
My reading after lunch was 6.4 and after dinner was 6.3 so I’m happier with those figures. I’m going to do a morning one again tomorrow to see what that is too, is it necessary to do pre meal reading if the post are in the 6’s x

My reading after lunch was 6.4 and after dinner was 6.3 so I’m happier with those figures. I’m going to do a morning one again tomorrow to see what that is too, is it necessary to do pre meal reading if the post are in the 6’s x
Those look pretty good, once you have established a particular meal is giving you those results then no real need to test it again. But if you are having something new then in order to know how it has affected you then you need a before and after meal reading.
Your level can go up and down for all sorts of reasons and will vary throughout the day so it could lead to wrong conclusions if you don't test before that new meal test.

Those look pretty good, once you have established a particular meal is giving you those results then no real need to test it again. But if you are having something new then in order to know how it has affected you then you need a before and after meal reading.
Your level can go up and down for all sorts of reasons and will vary throughout the day so it could lead to wrong conclusions if you don't test before that new meal test.
Thanks, I’m so confused, my morning reading today was 7.5 then I didn’t eat breakfast but have just tested prior to my lunch and it’s now 7.9 how can it go up despite me not eating anything all night and all morning, I’ve heard intermittent fasting is good for levels but that doesn’t sound good to me x

Thanks, I’m so confused, my morning reading today was 7.5 then I didn’t eat breakfast but have just tested prior to my lunch and it’s now 7.9 how can it go up despite me not eating anything all night and all morning, I’ve heard intermittent fasting is good for levels but that doesn’t sound good to me x
When you don't eat your liver tries to be helpful and it releases glucose into your system to give you energy and for your organs to function. Eating a low carb something can be helpful if that is a problem for you.
People's morning readings are sometimes higher due to what has become to be referred to as Foot on the Floor syndrome or Dawn Phenomenon, a hang over from our ancestors who had to go and hunt for breakfast. Testing before you get out of bed can give you a more accurate fasting level.

When you don't eat your liver tries to be helpful and it releases glucose into your system to give you energy and for your organs to function. Eating a low carb something can be helpful if that is a problem for you.
People's morning readings are sometimes higher due to what has become to be referred to as Foot on the Floor syndrome or Dawn Phenomenon, a hang over from our ancestors who had to go and hunt for breakfast. Testing before you get out of bed can give you a more accurate fasting level.
The 7.5 was before I got out of bed and then the 7.9 was later in the morning x

Kitkat, club biscuits and snickers do contain some chocolate - but you were not a chocoholic if you chose them - they are all high carb both starches and sugars.
These days I have the 95% cocoa chocolate from Lidl, in the fridge all the time, often several bars, but I eat it very rarely and am more likely to make a creamy dessert and add the chocolate to that though I do still have a single square of it from time to time.
The thing which many lovers of MILK choc do not grasp, is that DARK choc is shedloads more chocolatey tasting than milk having nowt in it to 'dilute' the choc flavour. As someone said 'I wouldn't have wanted more'. To me - that says it all. Did you enjoy the amount that you had? If you did - then why is it not 'enough' ? Do you actually truthfully really miss the the other stuff eg the sugar, palm oil, milk rather than the choc itself? (I have a personal abhorrence of palm oil, due to the deforestation and Cadbury's don't tell us whether theirs is ethically sourced - one wonders since they are certainly no longer Quakers)

Certain firms have always made dark versions of their popular snacks - I used to adore Terry's dark choc Waifa biscuits, more recently there have been dark Kit Kats. After Eights are dark anyway and whilst a Terry's Orange isn't dark, it doesn't actually seem to have that much 'milk' in it. The half-coated Lu biscuits which Fred Sirieux advertises, are dark and more choc than biscuit. Blooming lovely!

The 7.5 was before I got out of bed and then the 7.9 was later in the morning x
Those are the same reading. Meters are only accurate to within 15%, so you could test the same drop of blood twice and get different results.

The thing which many lovers of MILK choc do not grasp, is that DARK choc is shedloads more chocolatey tasting than milk having nowt in it to 'dilute' the choc flavour. As someone said 'I wouldn't have wanted more'. To me - that says it all. Did you enjoy the amount that you had? If you did - then why is it not 'enough' ? Do you actually truthfully really miss the the other stuff eg the sugar, palm oil, milk rather than the choc itself? (I have a personal abhorrence of palm oil, due to the deforestation and Cadbury's don't tell us whether theirs is ethically sourced - one wonders since they are certainly no longer Quakers)

Certain firms have always made dark versions of their popular snacks - I used to adore Terry's dark choc Waifa biscuits, more recently there have been dark Kit Kats. After Eights are dark anyway and whilst a Terry's Orange isn't dark, it doesn't actually seem to have that much 'milk' in it. The half-coated Lu biscuits which Fred Sirieux advertises, are dark and more choc than biscuit. Blooming lovely!
I've actually really enjoyed dark chocolate this week and find 2 or 3 squares is plenty. I'll check out some of the other things you mention. Never seen Lu biscuits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back