Newly Diagnosed - Given Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a bit gutted. I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and had my first appointment with my GP today. I expected her to tell me to try to control it with diet as my hb1hc was 50. I walked into the room, she said you’re here because you now have diabetes, I’m going to give you tablets. That was basically it. I asked if I could try diet first and she said if, in 3 months, my diabetes was controlled she’d taken me off meds. I wasn’t weighed so they have no idea if I will lose any weight! I feel deeply disappointed with how the appointments went. I must have been in the room less than 2 minutes. I get terrible side effects from medication so I’m quite worried about taking metformin. Has anyone experienced any issues with taking it?
Side effects with std. Metformin are well known, you need to ask them for the prolonged release version. I'd be a bit disgusted if my Dr was as glib as that. Ask to see a different Dr next time, and NEVER be afraid to complain if you think they have been below par in dealing with you, I have had cause a few times, and it had a positive effect. I think some Dr's slip into a rut, and genuinely forget they are dealing with patients with feelings and concerns.

I’m a bit gutted. I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago and had my first appointment with my GP today. I expected her to tell me to try to control it with diet as my hb1hc was 50. I walked into the room, she said you’re here because you now have diabetes, I’m going to give you tablets. That was basically it. I asked if I could try diet first and she said if, in 3 months, my diabetes was controlled she’d taken me off meds. I wasn’t weighed so they have no idea if I will lose any weight! I feel deeply disappointed with how the appointments went. I must have been in the room less than 2 minutes. I get terrible side effects from medication so I’m quite worried about taking metformin. Has anyone experienced any issues with taking it?
Hello

I have had no issues at all with metformin. They are slow release and I’ve had no upsets so far. The ones I’m on are now called Sukkarto slow release.

Hello

I have had no issues at all with metformin. They are slow release and I’ve had no upsets so far. The ones I’m on are now called Sukkarto slow release.
Im going to ask for the slow release ones. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've actually really enjoyed dark chocolate this week and find 2 or 3 squares is plenty. I'll check out some of the other things you mention. Never seen Lu biscuits!
It is important to bear in mind that @trophywench is Type 1 and therefore not restricted in her dietary choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back