Newcastle Diet -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @showmethenumbers that all sounds really promising, you must feel pleased with 7kg lost in 4 weeks. There are so many different diets and opinions. I think the Newcastle one has the advantage of being very simple. I think weeks 4 - 5 were quite a challenge as weight loss starts to slow a bit, and the novelty is wearing off. Please stick with it though, as you will have a much stronger belief in your ability to make changes if you do. The 8 weeks are hard, but I found I had a strong resolve not to blow it further down the road
It is so useful to hear that you found weeks four and five tricky. That is where I am and it is certainly hard to push through as the weight gain lessens and the shakes start to look less appealing! I can hear how the experience has changed how you feel about food and your body though Weekender and the prize is to live healthily and well for longer. It sounds odd but cake is what beer might have been to you - a part of my identity. I can't really imagine life without it forever more, so I am hoping it can be reimagined somehow, but perhaps I will feel differently when I hit my target weight. Thank you for the time you take to update the forum. I find it useful and it has motivated me to ask what my hBaiC numbers were and are as I was given different numbers which I have now forgotten but may have been 78 down to 58 (with an update next week). I will get them written down and in mmols so that I can add them to my profile and share how I am doing too. I think my diabetes nurse is working in the diabetic equivalent of old money.

It is so useful to hear that you found weeks four and five tricky. That is where I am and it is certainly hard to push through as the weight gain lessens and the shakes start to look less appealing! I can hear how the experience has changed how you feel about food and your body though Weekender and the prize is to live healthily and well for longer. It sounds odd but cake is what beer might have been to you - a part of my identity. I can't really imagine life without it forever more, so I am hoping it can be reimagined somehow, but perhaps I will feel differently when I hit my target weight. Thank you for the time you take to update the forum. I find it useful and it has motivated me to ask what my hBaiC numbers were and are as I was given different numbers which I have now forgotten but may have been 78 down to 58 (with an update next week). I will get them written down and in mmols so that I can add them to my profile and share how I am doing too. I think my diabetes nurse is working in the diabetic equivalent of old money.

I think it does change your relationship with food.
Other diets seem to recreate variations of "normal" food, and eat until you are satiated.
For me, a family size pack of jam donuts just didn't need a place in my future any more, so the complete stop gave me a chance to reset myself, and pick healthy eating habits.
I did still need a "kick" from food, so I went spicy rather than sweet, and to be honest, I actually don't like the taste of sugar and sweet food anymore.
I also reprogramed myself to eat when I was hungry, and at set mealtimes, and to eat a reasonable amount, then stop, rather than continue until I was stuffed, like I used to, and then graze in between.

I'm really pleased to read you are taking control of your diabetes - 78 to 58 sounds like the same units typically used in the Forum. During lock down we bought a bread maker, which I gave to brother-in-law once I realised I had diabetes. I still miss crusty fresh bread - but not that often. We just don't have bread in the house, which was a sacrifice Mrs Weekender has made. It's probably close to my 1 year Newcastle diet anniversary. Despite doing 20-30km running a week I'm 4-5 kg over my target weight, but my blood sugars seem pretty stable. Last night at a BBQ I drank beer and ate lindt chocolate pralines, and my blood sugars are good. You may be lucky and be able to get every thing back to normal, and have the occasional cake, but I think @travellor is right, it's easier to just banish stuff and stop thinking about it

Anniversary Post 🙂
Work has been very demanding and I haven't been on top of the data gathering etc.
I've been reflecting a lot on @ColinUK decision to re-run the Newcastle Diet. It will be my anniversary next week.
15th May 2021: 101kg with fasting Blood sugars at 10.3
13 weeks later - 20th August 2021 : 80.6 Kg and fasting Blood sugars @ 5.5
I stayed at 80.6 till March this year and since then the average is 83.5. This coincided with my 60th Birthday, and if I'm honest with myself, I lost my commitment and grip once I'd reached this mental milestone.
I enrolled for a half marathon (June 14th), and started training 6 weeks ago hoping this would result in more training and weight loss.
BUT, The data . . .
Fitbit Very Active Minutes (Green Columns) up - average calories burned (Blue Line) down.
Even though I've read Burn by Herman Pontzer and his theory of “constrained daily energy expenditure,” our bodies adjust how we spend our capped number of calories based on lifestyle. I was still surprised.

1652532742057.png
I should know this by now - you can only lose weight by dieting. I think it would be daft to think about dieting whilst training for a half marathon. But I might 'do a Colin' and hit the 800 calories a day after this.

I would like to stress that my blood sugars are great - and this is the point of the Newcastle Diet.
I'm eating well (less carbs) drinking beer (less than I was) and it seems I can eat the occasional chocolate etc without any problem
1652533378623.png
So, a year on, I can thoroughly recommend the Newcastle Diet for putting Type 2 Diabetes into remission.

Yep, in terms of exercise, for me at least, unless you do lots & lots (probably equivalent of at least 20,000 steps a day!), your body adjusts accordingly 😉

...A Half Marathon would do you a lot of good though - just not every day huh?!

Good luck mate - only wish I could even dream of doing even a quarter of a Marathon lol 😉

Lets us know how you get on, and like you said to me, keep the faith 🙂

1656514060959.png
Six monthly review today HbA1c = 30 mmol so I'm very pleased
Weight is above where it was (84kg) but I think I'll stop worrying too much given the HbA1c results
Thank you Professor Taylor and the Newcastle diet

Great job! - I have my review in November, so a while to wait yet, but I'm confident all will be fine also..

You're right, no need to worry anymore, the new normal is here...!

Good job @Weekender, I hope our threads can be helpful to many more on their journeys!

Nice!

Excellent news, your hard work has paid off 🙂

Is the Newcastle Diet similar to Lipotrim?

Is the Newcastle Diet similar to Lipotrim?
See this link for "Newcastle": https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

On a quick skim, lipotrim messaging is similar: limited time very low calorie intervention under trained supervision to quickly lose weight. But Prof Taylor, the lead "Newcastle" researcher, doesn't include lipotrim among the recommended products, for whatever reason:

The following are suitable liquid replacement meals as described in Life Without Diabetes:

These all provide 200 calories per meal:

Exante, Slim and Save, Kee Diet and New You Plan. Also suitable, when made up with skimmed milk, are Asda,GreatShape and Tesco, Ultraslim.

(FWIW, I don't like calling this the "Newcastle Diet" - it's a short term intervention, not a long term eating pattern; "diet" might suggest otherwise.)

Last edited:
70 Weeks Later
All going well.
Fasting Blood Sugar averaging 5.9
I started to lose a bit of grip during June and July - summer time beers in the garden.
I've kept going to the gym 3 times a week, but I suspect I thought this gave me license not to worry too much about beer and the wrong types of food.
I entered a 10k run on 18th September, which has given me a bit more focus.
I haven't be taking my fasting bloods or weight very regularly, but I have updated my tracker with the information I have.
You might notice the weight creeping up to 84kg and now bouncing around 82 - 83kg. I had got down to 79kg after the fast - I think 81kg is a good target as I have added more muscle since then
1662628503074.png

Is there a link on this forum that can guide people through what it is and how you follow it including products to buy etc. I asked my diabetic nurse for a referral to a dietician so I could be supported through this diet and I was
told I do not qualify as my HB1AC was only 56 and it needed to be higher under NICE guidelines - despite the fact that based on my BMI and co-morbidities I qualify under the same guidelines for bariatric surgery (this has to be wrong surely)

Is there a link on this forum that can guide people through what it is and how you follow it including products to buy etc. I asked my diabetic nurse for a referral to a dietician so I could be supported through this diet and I was
told I do not qualify as my HB1AC was only 56 and it needed to be higher under NICE guidelines - despite the fact that based on my BMI and co-morbidities I qualify under the same guidelines for bariatric surgery (this has to be wrong surely)
The Newcastle Uni T2D reversal page is probably a good place to start: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

I'd recommend Roy Taylor's book also: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#lifewithoutdiabetes Profits apparently go to Diabetes UK. I didn't actually do the "Newcastle Diet", just lost a bunch of weight at a slower rate by cutting calories, but I thought the book had a really good, accessible explanation of T2D and I imagine that the practical advice might be useful if you are doing the Newcastle Diet.

There's also a simplified version "Your Simple Guide to Reversing Type 2 Diabetes" which I haven't read.

This link may help you make some of your own decisions as everybody is different and no standard set of 'rules' would apply to everyone. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

This link may help you make some of your own decisions as everybody is different and no standard set of 'rules' would apply to everyone. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Really?

Low carb bombing the Newcatle Diet thread?

@Weekender excellent result!
It great to feel you have actually reversed Diabetes, and not stuck on diet control. I found it gave me much more freedom in my lifestyle.

@BlueArmy you will no doubt get all the usual "go low carb" posts from the usual suspects.
I got a torrents of them when I decided diet control wasn't for me, I just ignored them and moved on.

Eddy has put excellent information there, I did the diet on three Tesco shakes a day, and mostly salad for an evening meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a simplified version "Your Simple Guide to Reversing Type 2 Diabetes" which I haven't read.
I've read them both and they're both excellent. I've donated both copies to other people (the diabetes nurse at my GPs, and a friend at risk of diabetes) and would recommend either of them. The simple guide is shorter though, if you're time poor. The proceeds for both of them have been donated to Diabetes UK by Professor Taylor, he's a good egg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back