Newcastle Diet -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job @Weekender, it feels great to know you're living 'Life Without Diabetes' 😉

I feel much the same way, not restricted to any particular diet, and living normal life - it's great to see!

Roy Taylor is indeed a 'Good Egg'!

I never thought I'd be enjoying exercise so much again either.
Looking back, being sedentary just crept up on me without noticing.
I think the sudden loss made a greater difference, mentally as well as physically, as I could feel and see the change with it not being as gradual as the rise in weight.

Is there a link on this forum that can guide people through what it is and how you follow it including products to buy etc. I asked my diabetic nurse for a referral to a dietician so I could be supported through this diet and I was
told I do not qualify as my HB1AC was only 56 and it needed to be higher under NICE guidelines - despite the fact that based on my BMI and co-morbidities I qualify under the same guidelines for bariatric surgery (this has to be wrong surely)
Hi @BlueArmy
@Eddy Edson is right to suggest the book - I bought the the easy one Amazon link but wish I bought the longer one Amazon Link as it's very interesting stuff

It's fairly straight forward - you live on the (proper) meal replacement shakes and salads for 8 weeks, there are a few threads like mine that give you a day by day account of what to expect @ColinUK @Kreator.

The evidence is quite conclusive that people find it easier to stick to an 8 week Very Low Calorie Diet, than a gradual change. You should lose about 15% of your body weight, and enough visceral fat to reset your liver and insulin levels.
After the 8 weeks you will also have a very different relationship to food.
Here is a link to good Professor Taylor Video

I've attached the meal plan.

It takes some getting used to, but this Forum will gives you loads of support and advice - I don't think I would have stuck with out without this support

Here's another good Professor Taylor Video

Here's one from Dr Herman Ponzer about metabolism and why it's hard to lose weight from exercise only Ponzer Video

And this Kevin D. Hall, PhD | “Calories, Carbs, or Quality: What Matters Most for Body Weight?”

And This : How We Got the Science of Weight Loss Wrong - with Giles Yeo

Attachments

Great job @Weekender, it feels great to know you're living 'Life Without Diabetes' 😉

I feel much the same way, not restricted to any particular diet, and living normal life - it's great to see!

Roy Taylor is indeed a 'Good Egg'!
Cheers @Kreator - I have to keep an eye on what I eat and drink, and things slip from time to time, but I try and keep on the path 😎

Is there a link on this forum that can guide people through what it is and how you follow it including products to buy etc. I asked my diabetic nurse for a referral to a dietician so I could be supported through this diet and I was
told I do not qualify as my HB1AC was only 56 and it needed to be higher under NICE guidelines - despite the fact that based on my BMI and co-morbidities I qualify under the same guidelines for bariatric surgery (this has to be wrong surely)
Unfortunately there is no program here in Wales, but don't let the lack of NHS support stop you - there are plenty of people who have lived through it on this forum who can support you

Does anyone know if the Newcastle diet can be done by someone who is type 2 but being treated with insulin ? I'd be interested to know how to/how much to reduce insulin in the light of very low carbohydrate intake. I'd have to do it without GP help as they are basically hopeless on helping me with anythimg right now.

Does anyone know if the Newcastle diet can be done by someone who is type 2 but being treated with insulin ? I'd be interested to know how to/how much to reduce insulin in the light of very low carbohydrate intake. I'd have to do it without GP help as they are basically hopeless on helping me with anythimg right now.

I'm not on insulin, and couldn't advise.
But,
the diet's premise is that the pancreas is smothered in fat, and is struggling to work, and that the liver is also the same.
The diet removes internal fat, and the organs can recover functionality.
If you are on insulin, it may be that the pancreas may not be able to recover sufficiently.

Possibly other members may have suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the Newcastle diet can be done by someone who is type 2 but being treated with insulin ? I'd be interested to know how to/how much to reduce insulin in the light of very low carbohydrate intake. I'd have to do it without GP help as they are basically hopeless on helping me with anything right now.
I think it would be a dangerous strategy without the support and approval from either your GP or diabetic nurse.
I would research thoroughly before undertaking any changes.
Hopefully those on a similar insulin regime will be along to comment.
Why do you want to try it?

I think it would be a dangerous strategy without the support and approval from either your GP or diabetic nurse.
I would research thoroughly before undertaking any changes.
Hopefully those on a similar insulin regime will be along to comment.
Why do you want to try it?
I'd like to lose some weight and get back some energy and get my hba1c down to a more reasonable level. I appreciate your comments and realise this should not be done unaided

I'd like to lose some weight and get back some energy and get my hba1c down to a more reasonable level. I appreciate your comments and realise this should not be done unaided
Could you see if you can get an appointment with the diabetes nurse at your practice if you're looking to lose weight (if there is one at the practice)?
Ask about how you'd need to adjust your insulin if you're reducing portion size. You don't have to follow the Newcastle diet specifically, maybe think about one meal a day that you can have less calories in and how you'd need to tackle that, so have a lighter breakfast (an omelette, or yogurt or whatever you decide on) , or soup for lunch or whatever works for you.

Two "normal" meals and a lighter one is a way to gently lose weight, as long as you don't go mad on the portion size for the normal meals. Maybe try and have a ten minute walk round the block after each meal too if that's possible.
But get guidance from the D nurse before you start out, hopefully they'll be able to give you some ideas.
Best wishes, Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back