Nathan.....Swine Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All...

Well poor Nathan has come down with swine flu....He started with symptoms at 8ish last night....put himself to bed..wearing sunglasses..because his head was hurting that much...I initially though it could have been a migraine....😱..During the night, we have been in and out of bed, symptoms getting worse.

He woke this morning reading 19.7, temp of 39.4, ketones 1.5, aching all over, head still banging etc.....Phoned the DSN..to inform her of the situation...GP next on my list......Spoke to the receptionist.....😡...asked me why I was phoning the surgery at not the helpline....err..my reply is the helpline will not deal with any person with underlying health conditions...and would refer me to the Dr's instead...I gave her all Nathans symptoms etc...she said what would I like to do???...I replied I think that is up to the GP, as to whether he/she wants to treat it as swine flu etc...was told GP would phone back after surgery, this morning...The lovely Dr Walker phoned me back more or less immediately..and by going on what I had told her..she was 99% certain it was swine flu..and to put Nathan on Tamiflu immediately, and to monitor his diabetes closely etc...

I picked up Nathan's prescription..went to the chemist in town that was suppling Tamiflu...what a nightmare.....Handed the prescription in...then told I could'nt have it unless I provided ID for both Me and Nathan...At this I completely lost it..never heard anything so ridiculous in my life..nor had I been informed that this would be required by the GP, Surgery, or on the prescription itself...Came all the way home, collected ID, went back and finally got Nathan prescription. I am still furious over the ID thing..and the receptionist at the surgery....😡

Nathan has just had his first capsule...drinking plenty..ketones still present...BG high...feels in his words like S***E....DSN phoning back at about 1ish to see how he is doing...

Heidi
xx🙂

Heidi - hope Nathan gets through it quickly! I certainly understand your annoyance at having to provide the ID - surely the prescription is enough?

Sorry to hear Nathan has got it aswell. For me the first 24 hours was the worst, possibly the worst I have ever felt, I was at work and just cried I felt so ill. But after that once I started on Tamiflu it was just like normal cold/flu. My blood sugars after that time aswell have been very good, all below 13. So I hope Nathans expereince is the same, that the worst settles after the first day.

Keep a close eye on those ketones, make sure he is drinking plenty, and you are giving him correction doses as advised by your DSN.

thats bad about not telling you that you needed ID, they said it on the website and phone line but your GP should have known that aswell.

Hope Nathan feels better soon

Sorry to hear Nathan's got the 'flu!!

Hope he feels better soon! Meanwhile, try & look after yourself too...!

Hi Northerner and Nikki..

Thank you.....🙂..I hope he gets better to..as he looks terrible at the moment and as if he going to burst into tears..

The ID requirement completely threw me..because as Northerner said..I thought the prescription would have been enough..I must admit though I did'nt look on the helpline first...I just assumed that because Nathan is diabetic..as a statement that was issued..if you had an underlying medical condition..you need to speak to your GP..Someone at the surgery, the GP, or even a note on the prescription about needing ID...should have been done.

Yes I'm following all the guideline lines and the DSN advice about the corrections Nathan needs during this time...🙂

Heidi
xx🙂

Sorry to hear this Heidi, hope it passes quickly, and well done you for being so good on checking everything, I'm sure if I get hit by this I'd just curl up in a room somewhere feeling sorry for myself!! You make sure you keep well too if you can.

Nikki, sorry to hear you were hit by it too. maybe you said so before but I've been a little quiet lately myself.

Take care everyone,

Rossi

I hope Nathan is better soon.

One of the chemists I use always asks for ID to go with prescriptions if they don't know you. I normally have things like my staff pass and credit card with me, but as I don't have a driving licence or passport I often have a problem....

Oh no Heidi 😱 I did tell you lastnight it sounded like the dreaded Swine flu headache , Im so sorry Nath is poorly :( At least you got the Tamiflu though and he'll start to feel better soon , the only reason I still feel ill is because I got a Kidney infection too :( Let us know how he is though and if you need to talk , moan , rant you know where I am . ((((hugs))))

So sorry to hear about Nathan. Hope it passes soon.

Gabi

hi Heidi sorry to hear about Nath and swime flu get well soon nath xxx best wishes

Oh no, poor Nathan, hope you can get rid of the ketones :(

x

Aww sorry to hear about Nathan, Heidi. I hope he feels better very soon xx

Hi All...

Thank you so much for all your well wishes.......:D

Just a quick update...Nathan's BG is 18.4......Ketones still 1.5...trying to get as much fluids into him as possible.

Heidi
xx🙂

Aw poor love :(

Have you given him correction doses to bring the ketones down? Is he eating?

Hi Becca and Nikki..

I have done correction dose...but because we dont carb count etc..its kind of guess work..(trial and error)...Have a printed out sheet regarding insulin dose's and BG Readings when ill..Trying to avoid any overlap in dose's as well.

He is eating..minimal..but at least something is going down.

Still waiting for DSN to phone back..she said it would be after 1

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Becca and Nikki..

I have done correction dose...but because we dont carb count etc..its kind of guess work..(trial and error)...Have a printed out sheet regarding insulin dose's and BG Readings when ill..Trying to avoid any overlap in dose's as well.

He is eating..minimal..but at least something is going down.

Still waiting for DSN to phone back..she said it would be after 1

Heidi
xx🙂

we all have different correction doses but mine is 1 unit to bring down by 2 units of blood , do you go on the same principle ? I hope he starts to feel better soon though honey , and tell him i know exactly how bad he feels :( And poor you Heidi , are you ? If you need anything let me know .

just wondered about the not eating because of starvation ketones being produced as well :(

we all have different correction doses but mine is 1 unit to bring down by 2 units of blood , do you go on the same principle ? I hope he starts to feel better soon though honey , and tell him i know exactly how bad he feels :( And poor you Heidi , are you ? If you need anything let me know .

Hi Hun,

Depending on the level of BG Nathan is at it can by either by 1, 2, 3, or 4 units of insulin.
In some circumstances we do small insulin dose's every 2 hrs
Thanks hun

Heidi
xx🙂

just wondered about the not eating because of starvation ketones being produced as well :(

Hi Becca,

I thought that first thing this morning..it was a combination of starvation ketones and ketones as Nathan had'nt eaten since about 8.30 last night.
He has had toast for breakfast..and some of a sandwich at dinner time

Heidi
xx🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back