My Low Carb Plan!

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Helli - I've just been drinking the Asda no added sugar cordial that comes in like small fat bottles? Apple & blackcurrant / summer fruits that sort of thing.
I assume you mean this
Be aware it is not carb free . It may only be 0.5g carbs per 25ml but that builds up if you drink 2L.

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi yes thats the stuff ! I was enjoying it too lol. So what examples are there of totally carb free cordial if that exists?

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well done on your change of lifestyle @Darren85. :) Very inspiring. You could post your morning readings here...

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wont lie...im struggling tonight. The Mrs is cooking salmon and stir fry for tea and all I can think about is a big pizza hut pizza or a KFC. Im feeling my mood swing over to the grumpy side!

Trying to not be mean to my mrs who is in the kitchen trying (She isn't diabetic but she is overweight)

Thanks Ditto I will post there in the morning also.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It's early days yet @Darren85, you may well feel hungry for a few more days yet. Just keep at it and think of how great you felt when you tested at 8.7. You are doing really well and we're all rooting for you. :)

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Personally, I wouldn't worry about 0.5g carbs per 250mls of diluted drink. Even if you drink 2 litres of it a day it is still only 4g carbs and we have to bear in mind that cutting too many carbs all in one go can cause problems. If it was 5g carbs per glass, that would be another matter.
You are doing great. What did you have for lunch today?
The craving does pass once your body gets used to burning fat instead of carbs but that craving just goes to show how addictive they are. If you are struggling have a chunk of cheese or a boiled egg whilst you are waiting for dinner or find something absorbing to do to take your mind off it.... or go for that walk. ;)

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ok so end of day 2 and I didnt cave ! I was SO CLOSE to telling the Mrs i had ordered something- but I would be letting myself and her down, and you guys !! So I stood firm and had my planned evening meal - actually wolfed it down! It was lovely.

Picture attached of todays meals ! I still feel hungry but I'm a 24 stone bloke who has been eating everything I feel like for too long! I took some before pictures of myself today to try to be inspirational - in the hope I can do before and after pics in a few months !

Thanks to all of you replying, I honestly appreciate it a lot. Its funny because I'm new here, but I'm finding myself coming here to rant rather than cheat !

Darren

Attachments

• CollageMaker_20201130_181601039.jpg
    CollageMaker_20201130_181601039.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 10

Perfect10

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Check eBay for your test strips I have a different meter to the ones recommended on here but paying the same for test strips on eBay.
When I first went low carb I found having a bit of double cream in foods or on some berries helped massively with the feeling hungry part, or full fat Greek yoghurt. Also eating eggs for breakfast filled me up till lunch then tuna mayo salads or similar filled me until tea so I didn’t need to snack in between.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Rant away if it helps and deflects it from your good lady who is clearly a total star in taking on the cooking and joining you with your eating plan. I hope she benefits from it as much as you will.

Food looks great!

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Darren85 just wanted to echo what the others are saying, you’re off to a blinding start!

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning everyone - and thank you for the lovely comments !

My daily morning check today came back at 8.9. Yesterday was 8.6 so im slightly higher ? However yesterday was a 6 point drop !

Onto day 3 ahead of me! Feeling ok this morning, feeling positive, just had my yoghurt & berries and seeds, now to take my daughter to school. One step at a time ! I plan to make an omelette for lunch today! That could be a disaster ha ha.

Update and pictures to follow later.

Darren

Attachments

• 20201201_074748.jpg
    20201201_074748.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My daily morning check today came back at 8.9. Yesterday was 8.6 so im slightly higher ? However yesterday was a 6 point drop !
It will differ day-by-day. I was 5.3 today, 5.6 yesterday and 5.2 the day before. You need to record your numbers and when you have enough you can work out a 7-day average (my current 7-day average is 5.4). If you do this every day then after a while you'll be able to see a trend.

Martin

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
End of Day 3!

I feel a lot less tired than yesterday, but my god do I crave a sticky toffee pudding with ice cream right now !! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

The omelette for lunch went really well, it had ham and mushroom in it with a little cheese.

Evening meal was made again by the better half, cauliflour and chickpea curry with roasted chicken pieces and roasted peppers.

Just wish I wasn't craving naughty puddings so badly!

Attachments

• CollageMaker_20201201_180110626.jpg
    CollageMaker_20201201_180110626.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 10

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pleased you enjoyed the omelette. Looks good but you could incorporate a lot more salad (lettuce etc) onto that plate and some coleslaw rather than just a bit of cuc, but obviously it depends upon what you had available.

Don't be too upset if your fasting reading tomorrow is a bit higher than you would like. Chick peas can be a problem for some people and because they are more likely to be slow release, they can show up in your reading the next day. Hopefully you will be one of the luckier ones who can get away with them.

I promise the craving for sweet (and savoury) carbs will stop eventually, but it took me a few weeks. I used sugar free sweets to tide me over. Didn't totally scratch the itch but served a purpose. Go steady on them if you go that route as they are not carb free and each little sweet is about 2.5g carbs and they can also have a laxative effect if you eat too many.

You are doing great! Well done!

Not going to mention exercise since you haven't?? I am trying not to nag! ;)

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks thats great advice- I will see what tomorrow's fasting BG is and if its high we know chickpeas are not good for me! My Mrs is hoping they are ok as she loves them lol.

The problem with sugar free sweets are I dont want them lol I want a dirty hot chocolate fudge cake with fresh custard lol. But I'm standing firm!

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You do make me giggle, but yes, I know what you mean. We all appreciate that you are making a Herculean effort here in resisting temptation.... food is just far too easy these days!
I had forgotten how hard it is but I am now reminded of when I went through it and every advert on TV was all the stuff I couldn't have and it was a killer because that was all I wanted. It makes you realise the power of advertising in respect of food and how our diet is influenced by it, when you have to actively resist. That food you want is in places you never even realised before. I remember going to the Metro Centre and walking around and every other outlet was selling cookies or ice cream or burgers or pasties or muffins. I hadn't noticed before but suddenly I was surrounded by these places all trying to tempt me into indiscretion. There were a couple of weeks were it was really like being in a nightmare with all this stuff flashing before my eyes and tempting me.
It is sooooo good to be beyond that now and to be in control without needing to exert any real self control. You will get there too. In the mean time, stay strong! You are doing great!!

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ha ha glad I make you laugh!! Its the mrs' turn now she's sat trying to persuade me to ordering a JustEat brownie as a treat because we have done 3 days well. Shes nearly crying because I said no! She isn't diabetic but shes carrying a lot of extra weight so is finding this difficult at the moment :(

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well done for staying strong for both of you.
Tell the missus, she can have a piece of brownie if she goes into the kitchen and makes it from scratch without using an electric mixer and she probably needs to cook it in a wood burning stove that needs kindling collected to get it heated.... That way, the calories gained from the brownie will have been expended in the process.
Convenience food is what got us into this mess in the first place!