My Low Carb Plan!

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ok so I've done lots and lots of reading and today I start my low carb plan !

Day 1
BG:14.6

Breakfast Milbona Greek yoghurt, 3 walnuts, 20g raspberries & 20g blueberries. 1tsp linseed / 1 tsp chia seeds.

I'm rocking and rolling ! Cooked chicken for dinner with squash cooked under it and cauliflour / sprouts ! Lunch will be a ham salad.

Am I ok to update my self in this post? I want to have somewhere to log my foods and keep myself positive.

Darren

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sounds like a great start. Did you get the creamy Milbona yoghurt (not the low fat one)? I now buy the frozen packs of Summer berries from Lidl and use those instead of fresh. They contain black currants, redcurrants and blackberries as well as rasps and blueberries which are all lower carb than just blueberries and have more flavour.

Yes, no reason why you can't document your menu and progress here. Are you going to include exercise as well?
It can help with accountability if you are posting your daily efforts, so helps to keep you focused.

Look forward to following your progress!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Day 1

Breakfast Milbona Greek yoghurt, 3 walnuts, 20g raspberries & 20g blueberries. 1tsp linseed / 1 tsp chia seeds.

I'm rocking and rolling ! Cooked chicken for dinner with squash cooked under it and cauliflour / sprouts ! Lunch will be a ham salad.

Am I ok to update my self in this post? I want to have somewhere to log my foods and keep myself positive.

Darren
Loging foods and results you have find works for you, some write down as pen and paper, some do spreadsheets, and some use apps.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Day 1

Darren
It's your blog post so you can track anything you like here. It's your space :)

I've got one where I post about my weight loss ups and downs and it's really useful because it's putting things out into the world and somehow crystalising thoughts and feelings etc. It's also helpful because it's opening up to receive support from others and we all need support from time to time :)

Perfect10

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Good luck and a really positive start, I keep an online food app and track carbs and calories on it. Whatever works for you and keeps you motivated and always good to hear about someone else’s progress.

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
End of Day 1 and im feeling ok! The swede cooked under the chicken was really good - kind of tasted just like a potato !

Drank about 2L of Cordial too. Im just checking my BG levels every morning when I wake up for now whilst I'm so high - can't wait to see what I am tomorrow.

Attached a picture of today's meals for compliment or constructive criticism benefit. Remember im learning lol

Attachments

• CollageMaker_20201129_204612455.jpg
    CollageMaker_20201129_204612455.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 13

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It all looks delicious! Well done! Nice presentation as well as low carb
Don't be too disappointed if your fasting numbers don't immediately come down. They can be the last to respond to low carb eating and sometimes you need to look at longer term trends rather than individual results. That is why the before and 2 hours after testing can be more motivational in helping you sort your diet.
Did you manage to do any exercise today as well?

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wont lie.. im terrible at finding time to exercise! I have 0 energy to actually get out and do some. Even a walk right now feels like an awful amount of effort. Ive never felt this bad in that sense. I helped decorate our Xmas tree today and 3/4 way through it i had to sit down and I fell asleep ! How bad is that ! My 6 y/o thinks I'm nuts ! :(

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
OK, well at least you got a bit of exercise helping with the tree so that is good.
Hopefully as your BG levels come down you will feel less fatigued and able to do more as that is one of the symptoms of high BG, but it would be helpful if you set yourself very small achievable goals with your exercise too. Once it becomes a regular habit it gets easier and hopefully having a 6 year old will give you the motivation. Would you consider taking her out for a small 5 or 10 minute walk each evening? You could take torches and make it a bit of an adventure. Maybe make it like a treasure hunt and have a list of things to try to spot whilst you are out.... Christmas trees or reindeer decorations or maybe a red car or someone walking a dog or a street name beginning with a certain letter .... just a little list of things to tick off each time you go out to make it more interesting.

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thats a really good idea ! I will give it a go tomorrow. I will find a way to have some exercise tomorrow and feedback here what I did. Thanks so much :)

On a side note im back to waking up for the toilet tonight throughout the night and feel starving. Its now 2.50am and I'm laying in bed rumbling like thunder lol. Not giving up fighting through it !

Darren

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Over the moon to wake up feeling realllllly hungry but look at my BG before breakfast today! Update to come of today later tonight! 8.7 thats down nearly 6 points.

Attachments

• 20201130_080316.jpg
    20201130_080316.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Over the moon to wake up feeling realllllly hungry but look at my BG before breakfast today! Update to come of today later tonight! 8.7 thats down nearly 6 points.
Hi, Darren. As was previously advised, your first target was always to get your BG down into single figures, as that takes the pressure off your kidneys, so that's really good news. Keep it up, mate - you're doing well.

Martin

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Martin!

Its helped my motivation today if im honest, although I wont lie for day 2 im feeling low on energy and bloody hungry.

At the doctors Wednesday for my HbaC1 result so it would be good to go with good BG at least.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Delighted for you with that meter reading. Fantastic result!
If you wake up hungry, have a more substantial breakfast. A 2 egg omelette with mushrooms and onions and ham and cheese in it and a big plate of salad with a good dollop of cheese coleslaw does it for me and usually keeps me going until evening without the need for any lunch.

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That does sound REALLY good ! Im having that tomorrow ! I tell myself cheese coleslaw is bad for me lol.

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
On a side note to anyone reading -

I'm down to 8 test strips for my Safe AQ meter. Where can I get the cheapest compatible strips from ?

Thanks

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Unfortunately strips are not universal, so whatever meter you have, you need to buy the test strips for that, or get yourself a meter which uses cheaper test strips. For this reason we recommend the SD Gluco Navii or the Spirit Healthcare Tee2. They cost about £15 to buy the meter and £8 per pot for the test strips although sometimes I understand there are offers on if you bulk purchase. There are slightly cheaper meters on the market but we have had one or two new members report getting them and having problems, whereas these 2 are tried and tested and and seem very reliable. I am not familiar with the Safe AQ meter but sometimes it is just cheaper to ditch a meter with expensive test strips and buy one of the ones I mentioned in order to save money.
If you are going low carb, fat is back on the menu, so cheese coleslaw which is essentially just shredded veggies with mayonnaise and cheese is ok.... and no guilt.... the proviso is you really have to cut the carbs.... which of course you are doing. I know it takes a bit of getting your head around and this is where people struggle with low carb I think.... understanding how they can make their food filling and enjoyable.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Darren85 sounds as if you are really go for this which is great.

Most people find they have more energy for exercise and the like when they get their numbers down to single figures. I am a bit of an exercise freak but if my numbers are above 10, I struggle to move.

I noticed this comment a few posts back
Drank about 2L of Cordial too.
What cordial are you drinking? Many describe themselves as "no added sugar" but, unfortunately, that does not mean sugar free so take care unless you are drinking diet versions.

Good luck with your journey - remember it is a marathon not a sprint(or long walk), not a sprint.

Darren85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback and help here ! I will check the strips cost out and look about switching or not. Yeah your 100% correct im telling myself I can't have things like cheese coleslaw purely because on Slimming World I would burn for it lol.

Helli - I've just been drinking the Asda no added sugar cordial that comes in like small fat bottles? Apple & blackcurrant / summer fruits that sort of thing.