More than 1 billion obese world-wide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that. My trousers are a 36 and my height in 6 feet so I am borderline still.
According to the BMI people my ideal weight is 70KG but my current weight is 96Kg.

I just need to lose 27% of my body weight if that's the case. The time and effort it has taken to lose 5.5KG means it is highly unlikely I will get anywhere near. I am not giving up yet!

Thanks for that. My trousers are a 36 and my height in 6 feet so I am borderline still.
According to the BMI people my ideal weight is 70KG but my current weight is 96Kg.

I just need to lose 27% of my body weight if that's the case. The time and effort it has taken to lose 5.5KG means it is highly unlikely I will get anywhere near. I am not giving up yet!
FWIW, trouser size isn't the same as waist size for these purposes. This is what the NICE guidance says about measuring waist size:

Find the bottom of the ribs and the top of the hips.

Wrap a tape measure around the waist midway between these points (this will be just above the belly button) and breathe out naturally before taking the measurement.

FWIW, trouser size isn't the same as waist size for these purposes. This is what the NICE guidance says about measuring waist size:

Find the bottom of the ribs and the top of the hips.

Wrap a tape measure around the waist midway between these points (this will be just above the belly button) and breathe out naturally before taking the measurement.
“Breathe out” … spoil sports.

My aim/wish is to lose as much of the adipose tissue around my middle. It’s proving to be very difficult.
I know about carbs, I’m trying to cut them out, limiting to one or two slices of sourdough, everything else I eat is protein and greens.
But what happens to the body if you consume too many calories, ie above the number required by the body. Are they also converted to ‘fat’?

My aim/wish is to lose as much of the adipose tissue around my middle. It’s proving to be very difficult.
I know about carbs, I’m trying to cut them out, limiting to one or two slices of sourdough, everything else I eat is protein and greens.
But what happens to the body if you consume too many calories, ie above the number required by the body. Are they also converted to ‘fat’?
Yes. Any excess calories result in increased fat. The notion that there's anything special about carbs in this respect is just woo.

Thanks for that. Using the charging cable on my iphone I put it around my waist. It was 2 inches short so I got a 12 inch ruler and measured the cable and added 2 inches. So my 36 trousers are under a 42 inch waist. I obviously wear my belly over my belt. However I must say I only look a couple of months pregnant instead of the 8 months I use to look.

In all honesty I think you are targeting to far down the BMI index. When I had OHS (open heart surgery) my surgeon said he prefers people to be around the top end so they have something in hand to fight any potential complication or infection. When I had my amputation because of Covid delays I had developed sepsis and lost 18kg in five weeks. If I had started with a BMI of 20 things could have got very complicated indeed. I started at a BMI of 24.1 on the height adjusted calculation for taller people. At 6' I think that is the one you should be using.

As reported on the Beeb website this morning.

Poverty and the consumption of cheaper foods, eg carbs, compared to healthier foods are part of the problem, but surely not for countries in the ‘developed’ world.
Based on a world population of c8 billion, that’s 1 in 8!
Two out of three here in the U.S. no longer walk; they toddle. That would be roughly 200 million, so...we're doing our part.

Two out of three here in the U.S. no longer walk; they toddle. That would be roughly 200 million, so...we're doing our part.

I have watched "My 600lb Life" a could times and just couldn't get my head around it! (puzzled emoji)

I'm honestly surprised it isn't higher, but I guess the low obesity rates in Eastern countries brings it down.

All this obesity is very recent. My mother worked in a factory part-time in the sixties and early seventies. In a group photograph there is only one fat person! The same applies to photos of St Alban's Market (I grew up in the town);from that period where very few people are fat. Then people brought ingredients and prepared their own meals. The only eateries outside proper restaurants I recall were Lyons Corner House where I vaguely recall getting a glass of milk with an iced bun or donut as an occasional treat. Sadly I can see no way to reverse this. But many people have to watch what they eat. Too many make coffee and cake a near daily than an occasional treat! Sorry I am on one of my many soapboxes!

Yeah, obesity rates suddenly began to skyrocket in the early 80s and are still going up.

In all honesty I think you are targeting to far down the BMI index. When I had OHS (open heart surgery) my surgeon said he prefers people to be around the top end so they have something in hand to fight any potential complication or infection. When I had my amputation because of Covid delays I had developed sepsis and lost 18kg in five weeks. If I had started with a BMI of 20 things could have got very complicated indeed. I started at a BMI of 24.1 on the height adjusted calculation for taller people. At 6' I think that is the one you should be using.
Thanks. A BMI of 25 would do me. I am 29.2 when I last looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back