More than 1 billion obese world-wide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt they're a representative cross section of that age cohort, though.

Similarly, it always used to be the case that in the summer newspapers had stories of A-level students happy that they'd got good grades accompanied by pictures disproportionately of attractive women. (Once upon a time that happened with O-levels, but I think that's mostly gone.)

Do you not think so? I appreciate the camera often focuses on ‘attractive women’ but you can usually see most of the audience and they weren’t chosen. They got tickets (without sending a photo and their BMI in!)

@RichardsUsername fat shaming does not have to be socially acceptable or reductive way to judge someone! Good Luck improving your health, I am finding it extremely disappointing that diabetes support forum is so blase about weight shaming and users going to great lengths to posit that larger people only existed when fast food apps appeared in the last decade, so yet more body shaming, my metabolism crashed as result of living with untreated undiagnosed diabetes and being refused health screening and blood tests on the NHS "due to Covid" so should I pass the blame along and hold big grudge forever against the NHS? Really ridiculous fingerpointing with no basis in medicine or biology or human history or art history, please explain tribal art figures of large women created thousands of years ago if obesity only just happened, and if not please stop fat shaming, it's not cool!

Obesity health warnings are concerning, but throughout human history people of all shapes and sizes have been represented and can be found in Art History, if you look this up in libraries or bookshops or art galleries...

And personally, the constant unchallenged narratives about fat-shaming, body-shaming, weight-shaming and automatically assuming that larger framed heavier people automatically represent diabetes, morbid obesity, heart conditions and "new lifestyle conditions never seen before in our lifetimes" is easily challenged by athletes who have physical strength and stamina but don't have 5% body fat alongside BMI calculators being unable to distinguish between muscle and fat, ethnic origins and gender (as per usual NHS policy is to just entirely ignore the existence of trans and gender diverse people and stick to whatever is assigned on birth certificates and never issuing new NHS numbers despite the total lack of dignity or respect, great!) to determine the difference between "average weight" and "morbidly obese"... There are many users of this support forum constantly struggling on daily basis with being harshly judged and told by friends and family and NHS staff they are to blame for their own diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes as quote "lifestyle condition" and where does this shaming end, hopefully not with self-harm and suicide and eating disorders thanks! 🙄

Yes, people have always come in all shapes and sizes and different body shapes have been preferred at different times and in different cultures, but the growing number of people with obesity is noticeable. Noticing it isn’t judging (or blaming) the individual people.

There have been threads here referring to obesogenic environments, for example, and to the cost of good quality food, changes in society making accessing fresh food and having time to cook harder, etc. The increase in addictive UPFs, the ‘food deserts’ in the US - loads of things. Not to mention things like the increase in cars and building on greenfield sites making it harder for children to be outdoors exercising.

Slimmer people at St Alban's Market in the day.

2afabdbe9571103c956c69e1a32bbd5e.jpg

868b646f784a82e85e29b938b1fc73c2.jpg

I cannot seem to find one of bikers at Lemsford Cafe. The cafe was situated on part of the original A1 which has been by passed about a decade earlier. The old road was lethal! One girl we vaguely knew was killed when a lorry joined the pavement. A few years the daughter of family friends' was killed , again by a lorry, when riding her motorcycle. She was about ten years older than me but she was happy to talk to this ten years old about her bike. She is buried near my parents and before I lost my leg I occasionally laid a few flowers on her grave.

At the end of the day 80 years, if you're lucky and you've got to ask yourself was it worth it.

When I created this thread, copying the link about rising obesity WW, I was not pointing any fingers here. Please be assured of that.
But in terms of Diabetes, Dr David Cavan says, regarding T2 and pre-T2, we have eaten our way into this, and it’s opportunity to eat our way out. As a pre-diabetic I know it’s hard work.
if as you say we have eaten our way into Diabetes T2. Why isn't every obese person Diabetic T2? Also the definition of obesity is flawed. I am currently 12 stone and branded clinically obese by GP. I have been careful with my diet since having IBS at 26. I am now 58 and still I have Diabetes T2, diagnosed 13 years ago. Low carb is working for me at long last blood sugar but my weight stays the same? GP and society make me feel a failure and adds to my anxiety and depression that I have suffered most of my life. Just a thought

Room for one more on that particular soapbox? My parents were dairy farmers, and the standard fare at home back then would be the stuff of nightmares for today's advocates of so-called healthy food. We drank raw milk and Mum's homemade clotted cream served with her treacle sponge was a delight - her cooking style was more James Martin than nouvelle cuisine, but everything was made from scratch and none of us were overweight. It was the same with school lunches, all wholesome stuff and not a chip in sight. (I remember being slightly envious of our cousins who went to schools in a different area and regularly enjoyed sausage and chips as part of their school meals.)

At university I acquired a longstanding penchant for fish finger sandwiches (which is a bit problematic these days) but other than that I strive to avoid all UPFs, although I appreciate not everyone, for whatever reason, can do that.

The problem I have is with the huge profits made by the food industry. No matter how they dress it up, convenience food is chemically altered to induce people to want more and cynically marketed as healthy. Vast profit is the name of the game and, like you, I see no way to encourage people to buck the trend. Clearly, there's a much larger discussion to be had about expanding waistlines, but not on this site.

I agree, I grew up eating home cooking and we lived with my gran who was a great baker as was my mam ( I am too but can't do that anymore ) The difference then was activity. I walked two miles to and back from school. When weather allowed always outside with friends and played sport or walking the mountains around me. Not safe anymore!!! Society has made children addicted to computer games and most jobs are less physical even housework is a doddle with gadgets for everything. Just saying

if as you say we have eaten our way into Diabetes T2. Why isn't every obese person Diabetic T2? Also the definition of obesity is flawed. I am currently 12 stone and branded clinically obese by GP. I have been careful with my diet since having IBS at 26. I am now 58 and still I have Diabetes T2, diagnosed 13 years ago. Low carb is working for me at long last blood sugar but my weight stays the same? GP and society make me feel a failure and adds to my anxiety and depression that I have suffered most of my life. Just a thought
That’s what Dr David Cavan said in his book Reverse Type 2 and Prediabetes. But he makes it clear that it’s the visceral fat that leads to insulin resistance. Up until about 2 months ago I knew I was carrying a bit of excess around the middle, but it didn’t really concern me too much. I was enjoying my meals and didn’t for one moment think about diabetes risk, why would I when ignorant about the consequences. Only when I had the blood test did I begin to focus on what I was doing to myself.

In the real world everyone judges the book by the cover, without exception. Better make that cover out of this world.

Two points. According to Professor Mike Lean only 40% of those with fatty liver develop T2D. He suspects genetics.

You may have to adjust your diet to lose weight. Look into the Harcombe Diet and you will find it separates so called fat meals from carb meals to allow glucagon the weight loss hormone time to do its job.

Two points. According to Professor Mike Lean only 40% of those with fatty liver develop T2D. He suspects genetics.

You may have to adjust your diet to lose weight. Look into the Harcombe Diet and you will find it separates so called fat meals from carb meals to allow glucagon the weight loss hormone time to do its job.
I always thought it was genetic but no one in my family is Diabetic.

I do carry my weight round the middle unfortunately. I will have a look at the Harcombe Diet. Thanks very much for this

So what can replace the BMI? Is there anything more relevant, more accurate, more detailed?

It has been said one’s waste measurement is a good indicator. It’s better for it to be less than half your height.

Hi,

I have been on a diet and walking 4 miles a day for 5 weeks. I have eaten maybe 10 chocolate digestives in that time.
I could list what I have given up but it would be a long list - including all alcohol, potatoes, pasta and rice etc. I must be eating 700 calories a day less plus I am walking miles. My shape is better but the weight isn't coming off any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back