More than 1 billion obese world-wide

Status
Not open for further replies.
The concept of big is beautiful is not one that many can get their head around.

When I created this thread, copying the link about rising obesity WW, I was not pointing any fingers here. Please be assured of that.
But in terms of Diabetes, Dr David Cavan says, regarding T2 and pre-T2, we have eaten our way into this, and it’s opportunity to eat our way out. As a pre-diabetic I know it’s hard work.

Obesity health warnings are concerning, but throughout human history people of all shapes and sizes have been represented and can be found in Art History, if you look this up in libraries or bookshops or art galleries...

And personally, the constant unchallenged narratives about fat-shaming, body-shaming, weight-shaming and automatically assuming that larger framed heavier people automatically represent diabetes, morbid obesity, heart conditions and "new lifestyle conditions never seen before in our lifetimes" is easily challenged by athletes who have physical strength and stamina but don't have 5% body fat alongside BMI calculators being unable to distinguish between muscle and fat, ethnic origins and gender (as per usual NHS policy is to just entirely ignore the existence of trans and gender diverse people and stick to whatever is assigned on birth certificates and never issuing new NHS numbers despite the total lack of dignity or respect, great!) to determine the difference between "average weight" and "morbidly obese"... There are many users of this support forum constantly struggling on daily basis with being harshly judged and told by friends and family and NHS staff they are to blame for their own diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes as quote "lifestyle condition" and where does this shaming end, hopefully not with self-harm and suicide and eating disorders thanks! 🙄

Watch old Top of the Pops shows from the 80s @MikeyBikey and see how slim everyone was! I always notice it.
I doubt they're a representative cross section of that age cohort, though.

Similarly, it always used to be the case that in the summer newspapers had stories of A-level students happy that they'd got good grades accompanied by pictures disproportionately of attractive women. (Once upon a time that happened with O-levels, but I think that's mostly gone.)

Similarly, it always used to be the case that in the summer newspapers had stories of A-level students happy that they'd got good grades accompanied by pictures disproportionately of attractive women. (Once upon a time that happened with O-levels, but I think that's mostly gone.)
I always assumed it was only girls with long blonde hair who did well in their A levels. I had no chance with red hair.

Never happened to me as my A levels were about the same as Prince Charles so I had no chance of getting into Cambridge.

All this obesity is very recent. My mother worked in a factory part-time in the sixties and early seventies. In a group photograph there is only one fat person! The same applies to photos of St Alban's Market (I grew up in the town);from that period where very few people are fat. Then people brought ingredients and prepared their own meals. The only eateries outside proper restaurants I recall were Lyons Corner House where I vaguely recall getting a glass of milk with an iced bun or donut as an occasional treat. Sadly I can see no way to reverse this. But many people have to watch what they eat. Too many make coffee and cake a near daily than an occasional treat! Sorry I am on one of my many soapboxes!
Room for one more on that particular soapbox? My parents were dairy farmers, and the standard fare at home back then would be the stuff of nightmares for today's advocates of so-called healthy food. We drank raw milk and Mum's homemade clotted cream served with her treacle sponge was a delight - her cooking style was more James Martin than nouvelle cuisine, but everything was made from scratch and none of us were overweight. It was the same with school lunches, all wholesome stuff and not a chip in sight. (I remember being slightly envious of our cousins who went to schools in a different area and regularly enjoyed sausage and chips as part of their school meals.)

At university I acquired a longstanding penchant for fish finger sandwiches (which is a bit problematic these days) but other than that I strive to avoid all UPFs, although I appreciate not everyone, for whatever reason, can do that.

The problem I have is with the huge profits made by the food industry. No matter how they dress it up, convenience food is chemically altered to induce people to want more and cynically marketed as healthy. Vast profit is the name of the game and, like you, I see no way to encourage people to buck the trend. Clearly, there's a much larger discussion to be had about expanding waistlines, but not on this site.

Room for one more on that particular soapbox? My parents were dairy farmers, and the standard fare at home back then would be the stuff of nightmares for today's advocates of so-called healthy food. We drank raw milk and Mum's homemade clotted cream served with her treacle sponge was a delight - her cooking style was more James Martin than nouvelle cuisine, but everything was made from scratch and none of us were overweight. It was the same with school lunches, all wholesome stuff and not a chip in sight. (I remember being slightly envious of our cousins who went to schools in a different area and regularly enjoyed sausage and chips as part of their school meals.)

At university I acquired a longstanding penchant for fish finger sandwiches (which is a bit problematic these days) but other than that I strive to avoid all UPFs, although I appreciate not everyone, for whatever reason, can do that.

The problem I have is with the huge profits made by the food industry. No matter how they dress it up, convenience food is chemically altered to induce people to want more and cynically marketed as healthy. Vast profit is the name of the game and, like you, I see no way to encourage people to buck the trend. Clearly, there's a much larger discussion to be had about expanding waistlines, but not on this site.
Money is a big motivator for everyone and everything. People also change when money is involved. Fast.

Obesity is currently medically defined by the calculation of the Body Mass Index (BMI) which has been critiqued as excluding other factors such as sex, gender, race, ethnicity and muscle mass, with an obvious example given of professional wrestlers being calculated as having BMI above 30 making them medically "morbidly obese" yet many of these professional wrestlers train like athletes every single day, look after their bodies and have visible muscle mass as result, look it up...

I am overweight and I am able to navigate supermarkets without shovelling sweeties from pick'n'mix down my throat or otherwise behave like wild hog with insatiable cravings for high sugar high carb high calorie foods which must be instantly satisfied as described here in various dehumanising degrading ways - fat and not ashamed and aiming for remission of Type 2 Diabetes and exercising every single day thanks!

Obesity is currently medically defined by the calculation of the Body Mass Index (BMI) which has been critiqued as excluding other factors such as sex, gender, race, ethnicity and muscle mass, with an obvious example given of professional wrestlers being calculated as having BMI above 30 making them medically "morbidly obese" yet many of these professional wrestlers train like athletes every single day, look after their bodies and have visible muscle mass as result, look it up...

I am overweight and I am able to navigate supermarkets without shovelling sweeties from pick'n'mix down my throat or otherwise behave like wild hog with insatiable cravings for high sugar high carb high calorie foods which must be instantly satisfied as described here in various dehumanising degrading ways - fat and not ashamed and aiming for remission of Type 2 Diabetes and exercising every single day thanks!
It's the last remaining thing that it's ok to judge people on.

I know. Alison enters the discussion because she is you know what and that was the eighties. But if you want to be specific, point taken.

I chose TOTP because I’d noticed that the audience looked noticeably slim. It’s a good programme to look at because they’re all standing and dancing and hanging round the presenter so it’s easy to see their shape. When I watch an old episode, I always notice how skinny the audience looks.

I chose TOTP because I’d noticed that the audience looked noticeably slim. It’s a good programme to look at because they’re all standing and dancing and hanging round the presenter so it’s easy to see their shape. When I watch an old episode, I always notice how skinny the audience looks.
I was my ideal weight. Extremely fit and strong. Then came anti-psychotics and 22 years behind a desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back