Minimed 780G who’s got one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Type1derful

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Who has been fortunate enough to receive this pump? Is it available via NHS or is it self funding only ? I am patiently waiting for pump meetings to restart so that I can get one. Initially liking the omnipod however the minimed 780g seems like a god send !! What are peoples thoughts

I am not a pump user but the availability of various pump makes varies from area to area.

I will start on my 780 on 14 Dec. I am having to self fund the sensors but that will not be until January once we have got used to the pump in manual mode, which we would need to revert to if the sensor fails.

I live in Germany and I have a 670G and CGM it’s a great system but takes some patience to learn it, I almost gave up more than once in the last 18months I have it, I’m just waiting for the 780G which I think will fix the small issues with mine

I will start on my 780 on 14 Dec. I am having to self fund the sensors but that will not be until January once we have got used to the pump in manual mode, which we would need to revert to if the sensor fails.
How much will that cost you to do this if you don’t mind me asking ?

How much will that cost you to do this if you don’t mind me asking ?
It will cost about £50 per week, unless I feel confident enough to restart sensors which I know some people do, and make them last a lot longer.

I self funded the Libre in the early days, and then got it on the NHS after about 18 months.
I shall be gathering the data around the impact of the CGM on me, and will watch to see if these eventually become more available in the NHS, and for me to see if the benefits justify the cost. For me it is more about have to think about my Diabetes a lot less, having more flexibility and getting more sleep. If no funding is available I can’t think of any thing better to spend my pension on.

Ps
I have also found that my phone is not compatible with the app needed for the pump so need to lay out for that as well. That wasn’t part of the plan, but will still go ahead with it.

Ps
I have also found that my phone is not compatible with the app needed for the pump so need to lay out for that as well. That wasn’t part of the plan, but will still go ahead with it.
Oh really ? I thought it would be compatible with most phones that is frustrating but hopefully you can find a solution.. I definitely agree with your previous post. I am still going to ask my nurse and see what the availability for the 780g is but I don’t think it’s available in my area yet as nobody has mentioned it to me as of yet. I’m interested to see how you get on with it so look forward to your posts 🙂

It will cost about £50 per week, unless I feel confident enough to restart sensors which I know some people do, and make them last a lot longer.

I self funded the Libre in the early days, and then got it on the NHS after about 18 months.
I shall be gathering the data around the impact of the CGM on me, and will watch to see if these eventually become more available in the NHS, and for me to see if the benefits justify the cost. For me it is more about have to think about my Diabetes a lot less, having more flexibility and getting more sleep. If no funding is available I can’t think of any thing better to spend my pension on.
On the whole thes sensors are ok but not fantastic, I use their guardian 3 sensor and they have been known to fail now and then I would say don’t expect a Libre style sensor, fit and forget.
if they dislodge at all you can expect a lot of wasted time waiting for them to calibrate only for your pump to tell you to change it after 5 hours. For some reason during the day they are great but during the night everything seems to happen, kicked out of auto mode because of wanting a BG when it was calibrated 4 hours ago is one that seems to plague me at the moment.
I heard a new one is on the horizon that deals with the issues people are reporting but we will have to see what hurdles the FDA put up for it to become reality

I use the 670g with funded sensors. I did want to try and upgrade early, but with backlog on pumps, I am giving time, before I push for an upgrade.

I use the 670g with funded sensors. I did want to try and upgrade early, but with backlog on pumps, I am giving time, before I push for an upgrade.
Am I right in thinking that
  • The sensor is ‘talking’ to the pump
  • The pump ‘talks’ to your phone, so if I get a phone that links with the pump it won’t matter what sensors I will be using
Also if I don’t have my phone with me all the time, does the phone gather up the data from that gap when the pump and phone get back together again?

I am sure these things will become clear and seem like silly questions once I have got going but ....

Who has been fortunate enough to receive this pump? Is it available via NHS or is it self funding only ? I am patiently waiting for pump meetings to restart so that I can get one. Initially liking the omnipod however the minimed 780g seems like a god send !! What are peoples thoughts
Ive got a 740g but nhs rationing doesnt permit me one.
Its disheartening as you wonder what what the point of helpful tech is if you cant get it.

"...anything better to spend my pension on"

Beers, chips and gravy?

"...anything better to spend my pension on"

Beers, chips and gravy?
Or maybe you're a curry sauce man?
I always have trouble choosing.. Guess you can have both and as we're not complete philistines here, i would not suggest mixing them, but rather dipping one end in gravy, and tge other in curry sauce. I know, i know, delusions of adequacy. i'll never live them down now.

I live in Germany and I have a 670G and CGM it’s a great system but takes some patience to learn it, I almost gave up more than once in the last 18months I have it, I’m just waiting for the 780G which I think will fix the small issues with mine
Hi Paul

Hows the funding for your pumps etc structured? Does Germ.demand copayment or is all covered under a co ins. scheme?

In Germany everyone has health insurance, either statutory or private, most have statutory version which is more or less the same as the UK national insurance you pay from your salary, I think it’s a little more than NI contribution.
We pay a small fee for prescriptions the same way as you but it depends on the item how much you pay but I would say it’s cheaper than the UK. For instance when I used the freestyle Libre I paid €10 per month for them.
The health insurance companies seem interested to give you the best technology if it’s improving your overall health. For all the Meditronic items I have, pump, sensors I pay about €12 per month

In Germany everyone has health insurance, either statutory or private, most have statutory version which is more or less the same as the UK national insurance you pay from your salary, I think it’s a little more than NI contribution.
We pay a small fee for prescriptions the same way as you but it depends on the item how much you pay but I would say it’s cheaper than the UK. For instance when I used the freestyle Libre I paid €10 per month for them.
The health insurance companies seem interested to give you the best technology if it’s improving your overall health. For all the Meditronic items I have, pump, sensors I pay about €12 per month
I think thats cheaper than england where you get the pump and pump consumables free if you qualify, but may/ may not qualify for free sensors which ocountries.otherwise cost £120/ month onnself pay, so 10x more than Germany.
The key aspect of the uk health system.is a pokicy rationing of goods/ services as nhs funding pp did not match pop growth + clinicial prioritisation by severity leading to an underserved middle of road chronic patuent population fir T1D.
By contrast, my experience of German system of a multitude private insurance schemes is it might be responsible for a lower level of systemic competence. I used to live in Germany and for 2 years, they failed to diagnose a rare autoimm disease despite multiple A+E and o/ n hosp visits. By contrast, within half an hour of being delivered via A+E to Trundle + Waddington ward of Kings College London, they diagnosed the disease.
I recognise that a sample of 1 is not statistically meaningful. However meaningful or not, if i-d stayed in Germany, in all calmness, it would been the end of me.

Maybe someones conducted an international comparison of undiagnosed mortality rates between countries.

Last edited:
I would say once the technology is proven, it’s early days, the powers than be will realise the benefits of closed loop treatment, I’m 85-95% in my target range since using the pump, the health benefit of that kind of result will save them millions on treating diabetic related illnesses

Of course the total is an interesting study in affordability and efficiency

Eg
Assumptions
UK

Mean salary £28k
Modal salary £13.2k (IFS 2018)
UK 11% NI and say £1200pa vs mean gross salary =+4.3%
= 15.3 gross national mean salary
= 20% gross national modal salary

Germany
Mean salary €26k
Modal salary €20k
German salary shows less skew to extremes than the UK.

12%-20%? health insurance, call it 16% on av and €144 sensors
= 16.4 of gross natnl mean salary
=16.6% of gross natnl modal salary

Conc
Thus the German system is more expensive than the British for higher earners and less expensive than the British system for lower earners.

So apart from the interesting suggestions of what else to spend my pension on, and comparisons between the costs of the system, ....

I urgently need to buy my new phone before my pump start training so can anyone answer these questions:
  • I never use a contract to buy my phones as I don’t use much data and don’t do big downloads etc so the contracts mean I am paying for a lot more than I need. How much data do I need to allow for the links to my phone? This is probably similar on any CGM system so any advice welcome (@everydayupsanddowns , @Stitch147 , @MrDaibetes ...)
  • Am I right in thinking that my phone only needs to be compatible with the pump, the sensor won’t matter. I don’t want to have to buy another phone if I change to the next sensors in the future.
Also if I don’t have my phone with me all the time, does the phone gather up the data from that gap when the pump and phone get back together again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back