Libre Sensors - Try again in 10 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried a number of slightly different positions on my arm, but all seem to be much of a muchness. I think the way you've described it (about the filament digging in) is probably more accurate actually. Certain movements will cause sharper pains than others. I still need to try placing the senor in more of the anterior chest area rather than the back/side of my arm to see if this has any difference in accuracy or longevity.

Would it still be worth reporting this issue to Abbott and try to get a replacement sensor @Robin? I'm concerned if this keeps happening then I may be without a sensor for an extended time, as I can only order 2 on my prescription each month.
Always worth ringing Abbott to talk it through, I think. They may be able to shed some light on a recurring problem by talking through technique, amount of muscle/fat or not on your arms etc, then if they feel it’s nothing you’ve done, they will probably offer you a replacement.

I didn't want to start a new thread as its Libre sensor related so thought I'd ask on here. Do any of you guys get intermittent problems with your libre sensor actually working. Its been happening to me more lately. I'll test and it takes the reading. Then I go to test 10 mins later and it says error and can't take a reading. I leave it a few minutes and hey ho it works again. Its quite frustrating.

Also where do you apply your sensors? I don't have much loose flesh but apply mine about half way up on my upper arm between my elbow and shoulder joint round towards the back side of my arm. Not sure if this is the best place but it is the most fleshy part of my arm.
I get that error a lot too, especially carter a shower etc.

I had to change another Libre 1 sensor after only 5 days due to constant abnormally low results. I'm genuinely not sure how this has happened, but again when I removed the sensor in question, the 'needle' was bent at a 90-degree angle. I can't be sure if this is a defective sensor or due to other reasons such as pressure applied to the arm whilst sleeping.

Even when sensors are working, I can have shooting pains from the needle depending on certain positions I move my arm to. Has anyone had similar experiences to this as well? I'm not sure whether to contact Abbott again as well about this for a possible sensor replacement.
Hi Dan, I gave up on my arm, now I place the sensor on the side of my chest under my arm and I have no issues, I know it’s not an approved place but might be worth a try especially if you are testing to compare results

I was told by Diabetes nurse to put the sensor in stomach, as when it's in your arm and you lie on it, it causes incorrect reading.
This is due to the interstitial fluid flow bing slowed down.....or something

Hi Dan, I gave up on my arm, now I place the sensor on the side of my chest under my arm and I have no issues, I know it’s not an approved place but might be worth a try especially if you are testing to compare results
Touch wood since my original post at the beginning of February I have had no issues.Must have been a bad batch 2 not working for long periods and one reading low in the hypo range. Still using the recommended position. Do still get occasional breaks in recordings with no alarms. Used to get pain in the vicinity of the sensor and had a reaction with the first one but been fine since.

Thank you Paul. I should really try this location for my next sensor. I think I said that last time, but the same issues keep occurring on 'recommended' sites.

Touch wood since my original post at the beginning of February I have had no issues.Must have been a bad batch 2 not working for long periods and one reading low in the hypo range. Still using the recommended position. Do still get occasional breaks in recordings with no alarms. Used to get pain in the vicinity of the sensor and had a reaction with the first one but been fine since.
Good to hear Dave.

I was told by Diabetes nurse to put the sensor in stomach, as when it's in your arm and you lie on it, it causes incorrect reading.
This is due to the interstitial fluid flow bing slowed down.....or something
This is interesting. I do have times during sleep when my readings fall low then return to 'normal' a couple of times. This may possibly be due to the pressure applied to my arm when sleeping on that side.

Always worth ringing Abbott to talk it through, I think. They may be able to shed some light on a recurring problem by talking through technique, amount of muscle/fat or not on your arms etc, then if they feel it’s nothing you’ve done, they will probably offer you a replacement
Thank you @Robin. I'll try and contact Abbott today.

Definitely ring Abbots and they will replace it. I had to ring last week as mine came unstuck, they asked if I wanted a Libre 1 or 2 so I said 2 as my future prescriptions are for 2s. I have had increasing issues with Libre 1 since they changed the App. Good luck
Thank you @Annemarie. I'll let you know how I get on with Abbott and testing out the sensor at a different site.

@Annemarie - do you not realise no MAN ever acknowledges the fact that he may have either Bingo Wings or Midriff Bulge? :D

Sorry if i may seem dim but what are bingo wings ?
The bits of flab that appear on the backs of your arms where your triceps used to be, when you get to a certain age. As seen on middle aged women who go to Bingo, I think.

I find hand kneading bread every week keeps my arms bingo wing free.

The climbing may also help when there's no pandemic keeping me off the walls.

I have been putting them on my chest for about 18 months now and they stay on without any extra tape for the whole 14 days and well out of the way of door frames .

Current one on chest, before that it was stomach then chest before that. Sensor works fine on both, can only use right arm as left get unreliable readings. Since switching to libre 2 not getting as many error messages, find it is more in line with bg levels.

I've just received my Libre 2 sensor prescription today, so I'm going to switch over now from Libre 1. I've had to change sensors twice now since the weekend due to errors or being uncomfortable to wear. Both were applied to the left or right arm, but I'm going to apply a new sensor to the chest and see how this goes.

Update: Applied Libre 2 sensor to the chest. Seemed to apply without any issues, however, i've had 2 sensor error messages in the first 30mins of use. I don't believe I did anything wrong when applying or caused any damage to the sensor. Has anyone had similar experiences with Libre 2, either applied to the chest area, arm, or a different site?

Last edited:
I've just received my Libre 2 sensor prescription today, so I'm going to switch over now from Libre 1. I've had to change sensors twice now since the weekend due to errors or being uncomfortable to wear. Both were applied to the left or right arm, but I'm going to apply a new sensor to the chest and see how this goes.

Update: Applied Libre 2 sensor to the chest. Seemed to apply without any issues, however, i've had 2 sensor error messages in the first 30mins of use. I don't believe I did anything wrong when applying or caused any damage to the sensor. Has anyone had similar experiences with Libre 2, either applied to the chest area, arm, or a different site?
image.jpg
Hi Dan I forgot I was going to send you a pic, this is my favourite spot and loads of room son both sides, best of luck with the libre2’s

Not placed on chest - not sure the girls can place there easily! but I have had 2 faulty sensors in the last week. Abbott are replacing both and they didn’t want either back - usually a sign there’s a lot or batch that are a little out.
What’s the error message you’re getting ? Could be the filament bent as inserted or levels maybe changing fat or just the 24-48 hours sometime settling in period.
I kept getting glucose unavailable try in 10 min error. Which if look you look in settings and the system status it’s E3373P

maybe worth reporting seems a faff bit talking to the technicians / call baskets they do seem interested and want to sort issues.

I have been using a Libre 2 on my arm for the last 10 days with no problems. No scan again In 10 minutes message and no signs of falling off.
As with Libre 1, I applied it 2 days before activating.
Unlike Libre 1, it took an extra day to settle but since the third day, it has been more accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back