Libre Freestyle Free Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libre Freestyle Glucose Monitoring System.

#FoodForThought

There were a variety of different opinions posted about the option of using the Libre Freestyle ‘free trial’.
I was just one person posting my own personal opinion.

To use the free trial you need a compatible phone. I had one.

There is no obligation after the free trial.

For me, those two weeks offered me amazing insight into how quickly blood glucose rises and falls and how different foods trigger different reactions within minutes and also the effects of stress on BG , it completely changed my understanding of managing BG for the better. I learned more in two weeks than in the 10 or so years since my T2 diagnosis.

My decision to continue using it was a separate decision. If I hadn’t chosen / been able to afford to do that for at least a short time, that would not have invalidated anything I had leaned from that two week trial. I’d hate to think that the reaction of some people to my original thread had put anyone off making their own choices.

Since I logged in to DiabetesUK I have learned that there is a variety of other devices that serve a similar purpose - so I now have even more to think about.
I'm currently having a free trial also right now. Initial impressions weren't good to say the least, as it fell off after a shower, and I'd only had it on for a couple of hours!

Abbott did send me a replacement and after some advice from others on this forum I bought a 3D printed band, and this has helped massively. I'm still on the fence about the Libre itself though. Like you, I'm finding the data I get from it extremely useful, and seeing how my sugars rise and fall throughout the day really helps me when it comes to choosing what I eat, when I eat, and the necessary insulin doses. However I'm still on the fence right now. I'm having a hard time "trusting" the readings I get from the Libre, and tend to still fall back on my trusty Accu-Chek Mobile before I decide whether I need to take a correctional dose of Novorapid or not. Time will tell. I have another 10 days to see how I feel about it, and whether I want to continue. Right now I'm 50/50.

I sent Abbott an email. Very quick response. I had to complete an online questionnaire re. the failed sensor and I am now awaiting a replacement. Definitely a thumbs up to Abbott for prompt and effiecent service.

I wish they had explained the limitations of the device before encouraging me to get a 'free' trial. Hopefully this hasn't been charged to the NHS.

So, I workout between 2 - 4 times a day every day. I swim twice a week for over an hour each time. I steam sauna 3 times a week. I hot bath once a week and cold bath once a week. I do martial arts which involves grappling. I put my phone on airplane mode every day between 8pm and 8am so I can get some peace.

I explained this to my endo and he just nodded and said I should try it.
!?

No prizes for guessing how long the trial lasted.

If they want to give me a fresh pad each day it might work.

@Jimbo888 there are steps you can take to make sure it stays in place, patches, tapes, armbands etc, professional rugby players use them and if they can withstand scrums etc then there isn't a reason you couldn't use something to keep it in place

@Jimbo888 there are steps you can take to make sure it stays in place, patches, tapes, armbands etc, professional rugby players use them and if they can withstand scrums etc then there isn't a reason you couldn't use something to keep it in place
Oh, that's good to know, I was going by all the warnings that came in the instructions. Maybe I will look into it further.

Thanks for the feedback, still seems like a lot more hassle than the few seconds I spend each day on finger pricks 🙂

I wish they had explained the limitations of the device before encouraging me to get a 'free' trial. Hopefully this hasn't been charged to the NHS.

So, I workout between 2 - 4 times a day every day. I swim twice a week for over an hour each time. I steam sauna 3 times a week. I hot bath once a week and cold bath once a week. I do martial arts which involves grappling. I put my phone on airplane mode every day between 8pm and 8am so I can get some peace.

I explained this to my endo and he just nodded and said I should try it.
!?

No prizes for guessing how long the trial lasted.

If they want to give me a fresh pad each day it might work.
There's a few options for you, and I understand where you're coming from. I'm nowhere near as active as you and even then I lost my first trial sensor within a couple of hours of it being applied. I've since bought a band for my replacement that goes over the sensor and keeps it in place while I'm in the shower or bed and so far so good, my replacement sensor has so far survived. Having said that, since you do a lot of close contact activities maybe you could look into maybe getting a patch as the band will likely make it a bit more susceptible to getting caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back